What's new

2021/2022 snow wheelin thread

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Since we never got a snow section, I guess we gotta pile it all in one thread.

Last week we had maybe 2' in our mountains. I'm new to the area, so I'm super curious about how the snow will be vs the Sierras.

Lame Pic of a drift weeks ago

20211126_145911.jpg

On a completely un related note. Has anyone ran the system 3 ss360s in snow? They're more for atv/utvs. But I'd love to try the 33x12s on my samurai. They're 2 ply sidewalls and just over 30 lbs depending on which version you get. Fwiw, typical 33x12.50s are near 60 lbs.

Last edited:
No snow in Nor Cal yet.
There was about 3-4" up higher when we came down in early November. It was also raining and I know it's been warm.

I used to try and go up for my bday (12/2) and can't really remember when there was much more than 6". Even new years runs are usually hit and miss. Maybe I missed the really good years?

nothing here yet ether. You guys should get good snow up north there. Buddy is in Wallace and does alot of snow/winter wheeling.

Those snow tires are interesting, I'd try them out. Bummer they stop at 15" wheels. XJ is running 16" right now.

nothing here yet ether. You guys should get good snow up north there. Buddy is in Wallace and does alot of snow/winter wheeling.

Those snow tires are interesting, I'd try them out. Bummer they stop at 15" wheels. XJ is running 16" right now.

I'm used to the Sierras snow. It's "wet" ie: it's usually at, or not much below 32* so it packs and sticks together well. Lots of guys just run big tires and low gears and can have a lot of fun.

I'm curious in the difference up here at much lower temps. I'm guessing packing and crawling around may not work. I'm also guessing we won't get the 10-20' of snow pack I'm used to, with creek crossings that can be totally thawed. :laughing:

The tires are designed for light sxs's, so only rated for 1100 lbs ea. XJ might be pushing the limits a bit. Only bummer is that they're bias ply, but they should be light enough to be flexible.

15s are easy enough to find, I wish they made a 35-36 :smokin:

Sierra Cement vs Ideeho sugar
Sounds like a new learning curve for you.
Gawd I hope I get to try out the new km3'$$$ this year.

Sierra Cement vs Ideeho sugar
Sounds like a new learning curve for you.
Gawd I hope I get to try out the new km3'$$$ this year.

Thats what I'm wondering. I've wheeled in sugar snow, and it's pretty miserable. But if there's one thing I know about snow wheelin is that just about every trip is different conditions.

Were heading up now to check it out, we got ~4" at out house yesterday @ 1760', so hopefully there's a decent layer up higher. :smokin:

oh good night typical CA thinking, your the only one state with xyz :shaking::laughing:

Yes they get loads of snow. Ketkum (sp?) report 118" inches last year and it's in the southern park of the state I think?

1638823043549.png

They type of snow depends on the moisture temps and whatever else. It's not like we ony get "sugar" snow all year. Depends more on the weather.

oh and make sure someone know where you are going. People get lost/stuck-lost every year. It's backwoods up there.

oh good night typical CA thinking, your the only one state with xyz :shaking::laughing:

I think a lot of the Sierras snow conditions are fairly unique to the Sierras, maybe similar to parts of Oregon and Washington, but not sure. Lots of freeze/thaw cycles all year, even up high.

The 4 trips I've been to the mountains up here have been very different from the Sierras.

Yes they get loads of snow. Ketkum (sp?) report 118" inches last year and it's in the southern park of the state I think?

:laughing: Donner summit averages 400 inches per year and has gotten over 800 twice.

Shit I've seen pics of about 120" dropped in one storm over 2 or 3 days.

To your credit, I just looked up the closest ski resort, Schweitzer's near sandpoint, and it's 300"/yr average. :smokin: their all time record is 417" in 99.

They type of snow depends on the moisture temps and whatever else. It's not like we ony get "sugar" snow all year. Depends more on the weather.

Yes, I get that, on average, it's going to be colder up here. Shit it's currently about as cold at my house here as it ever really gets in the place I used to wheel in CA. Even when it would get down near 0* up there, as soon as a storm would come in, it would almost always warm up to ~30*

Im not trying to be a closed minded Californian, just curious about the differences in the snow. I'm anticipating it being very different.

Pissing contests with non California denizens most always get them pointing fingers at "stoopid cali" cuz we's easy prey...

No it's just cause you always think your special. :flipoff2: Sorry should quit, but that is what annoys alot of the rest of us with transplants. That ain't nothing in CA we...well move back there then. Weather is similar in lots of parts of the country. Okay done with that. And Tahoe does get a crap load of snow and it seems to have alot of moisture in it.

That just in town amounts I think. I'm not looking up what the mountains get. Not sure any town is getting 400" inches. And once you get above 10' of snow I'm not sure how that effect wheeling? Or anything else from that matter.

I'd guess it tends to stick around once it drops. Big tires and lots of floating over stuff seems to be the norm up there. Buddy runs 45" Mickey's on his buggy right now anyways. He changes tires alot.

You can report back in May. :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Reactions: Clb
:lmao:
Snow in Thee prk...
Sheit they tell us we're in a 8 year dry spell, then say a 6" rainfall cured it!:homer::homer::homer:
KIMG0014.jpg

Last edited:
No it's just cause you always think your special. :flipoff2: Sorry should quit, but that is what annoys alot of the rest of us with transplants. That ain't nothing in CA we...well move back there then. Weather is similar in lots of parts of the country. Okay done with that. And Tahoe does get a crap load of snow and it seems to have alot of moisture in it.

All I mentioned was the difference, not that it was better.

That just in town amounts I think. I'm not looking up what the mountains get. Not sure any town is getting 400" inches. And once you get above 10' of snow I'm not sure how that effect wheeling? Or anything else from that matter.

I doubt many towns would be liveable at 400"/year :laughing: there is that town near Mt rainier in WA that gets 500"+ though.

Thats what I was trying to say about the Sierra snow. After a few thaw/freezes you can drive on 10-20' of snow no problem.

I'd guess it tends to stick around once it drops. Big tires and lots of floating over stuff seems to be the norm up there. Buddy runs 45" Mickey's on his buggy right now anyways. He changes tires alot.

You can report back in May. :grinpimp:

Seems like it, there is already a good base for this time of year. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like. Worst case, I'll have to finally get a snow bike :laughing:

Ok so on a lesser note, lets talk tires a bit till it piles up some....

Criteria for my question.
For play vs real world travel, best trail manners for a "driven to the trail" tire?
I just shoed up a set of km3'$.
Yes we know "thornbirds" ftw:lmao:
I'm in nor cal fwiw.
Narrow hunts the bottom, wide floats, low psi wins.
Lets talk brands,and different model tread pattern.
I know stickies h8 cold, all terrains are non of the above and dedicated "snows " rock for commuter duty.

Discuss...:beer:

Ok so on a lesser note, lets talk tires a bit till it piles up some....

Criteria for my question.
For play vs real world travel, best trail manners for a "driven to the trail" tire?
I just shoed up a set of km3'$.
Yes we know "thornbirds" ftw:lmao:
I'm in nor cal fwiw.
Narrow hunts the bottom, wide floats, low psi wins.
Lets talk brands,and different model tread pattern.
I know stickies h8 cold, all terrains are non of the above and dedicated "snows " rock for commuter duty.

Discuss...:beer:

Honestly, I think almost any modern radial mt will be fine for 90% of people just trying to have fun.

Biggest thing is to look for c rated over D and E, especially on lighter stuff. That being said. I've ran all 3 on the little 4runner and they all will do good, you just have to air down more with the D and E vs the C.

What size are we talking?

35"
I just read some chitt about the km3' sucking in snow...
1st gen shortbox yota
( +- ?4000#?) on 31x10.5x15" dunlop mud rovers
At 8 psi rocked sierra cement on met .
Edit no beadlocks so I wheel it at 8 usually.
Curiosity is driving this more than anything.

Last edited:
35"
I just read some chitt about the km3' sucking in snow...
1st gen shortbox yota
( +- ?4000#?) on 31x10.5x15" dunlop mud rovers
At 8 psi rocked sierra cement on met .
Curiosity is driving this more than anything.

Air down to 2-4 lbs and you will be golden.

Like I said, if you're the type who is looking for absolute maximum snow performance out of a tire, there may be better options, but if you want to just go up have fun, but still not be holding everyone up, they'll be good.

I've heard the same thing about Km3s in the snow. And most of the people I roll with do not run them. I had km2s and they did ok. Had to really air them down and keep speed up to clean them out sometimes.
I'm really diggin my procomp Mt2. They perform really well in the snow and rocks. Convinced my buddy to switch from his old Km2s to Mt2s and he hasn't had any complaints.
Km3s are good all around tires, but not the best in the snow

I really like the Nitto Trail M/T, I sipe the center lugs. Normally run around 10-12 psi. This is on my DD Xj so they are only right at 32". Yes I know not huge but we have fun with the groups we go out with and the amount of snow we get. They drive really well daily, low noise.

Went up for a quick trip. It was my buddies kids bday, so we mostly went up to let them play. But still had fun.

The last few storms have been pretty cold, so the top 8" or so is pretty sugary. Definitely way different conditions than I'm used to. Had a blast though and never actually got stuck.

20211217_140428.jpg
20211217_145811.jpg

20211217_162431.jpg

Got a good little dumping Saturday

Rest of the pics here:

I’m new to snow wheeling. Only did it a couple times but my 43in Mickey’s kicked ass and went in places my buddy’s 40in Nittos were struggling in. I figure it’s because they are like 16in wide.

On road for snow though they suck. No siping...I figure it’s just a width thing when actually snow wheeling

I’m new to snow wheeling. Only did it a couple times but my 43in Mickey’s kicked ass and went in places my buddy’s 40in Nittos were struggling in. I figure it’s because they are like 16in wide.

On road for snow though they suck. No siping...I figure it’s just a width thing when actually snow wheeling

Snow wheelin and snowy road driving are totally different. Big wide tires are good for wheelin and terrible for slick roads.

How low did your buddy and you air down? Biggest newb move in snow is not airing down enough. Big radials, 5 psi MAX, but 2 lbs is way better. Big bias sometimes need to be way low to work well. Weight of the rig matters also, obviously.

This dry fluffy snow is different from what I'm used to also, with only 2-3 feet so far, being heavy may allow you to dig down to harder stuff.

Snow wheelin and snowy road driving are totally different. Big wide tires are good for wheelin and terrible for slick roads.

How low did your buddy and you air down? Biggest newb move in snow is not airing down enough. Big radials, 5 psi MAX, but 2 lbs is way better. Big bias sometimes need to be way low to work well. Weight of the rig matters also, obviously.

This dry fluffy snow is different from what I'm used to also, with only 2-3 feet so far, being heavy may allow you to dig down to harder stuff.
I haven’t snow wheeled this season yet. That was from last season and the snow was deep. I can’t say how much but we definitely weren’t sinking to the actual terrain. It was much feeer then that. We are similar in weight. He’s got a K30 single cab on 40s with a heavy flat bed. He said it weighs in the 6-7k range and I’d say I am in that same boat.

We both ran as low as 2-3 psi that day.

dry fluffy is slightly different then sugar snow? Sugar stuff falls apart in very small grains as soon as you touch it. Horrible stuff to drive in.

dry fluffy is slightly different then sugar snow?

I think so, the stuff we've been getting here lately is pretty dry. Ive been using a leaf blower to clear vehicles in the morning. :laughing: it also seems easy to just plow through in a wheeler, well to a point.

Sugar stuff falls apart in very small grains as soon as you touch it. Horrible stuff to drive in.

Ya, that's what I have always called sugar. It's seems similar to actual sugar.

The snow we have is dry because it's cold while it's falling. I feel like sugar is when it comes down fairly wet (like snow that sticks together and easily makes a snow ball) then later freezes and crystalizes?

Yes it's horrible. Usually when we've ran into it, we just turn around, or stop and drink beers :laughing:

The good snow I'm used to is the wet stuff. It sticks together and you can get up on top of sometimes 4' of fresh stuff. No hp required. Actually has really good traction too. What we got earlier in the season was similar, but some how different.

Then there is spring snow :smokin: can be a blast after a good year with 10-15' of snow pack. Big v ditches, or vertical walls. Bare dirt here and 10' deep over there. Lots of fun, and where all the body damage happens :laughing:

Sorry not trying to sound like I'm schooling anyone, just my experience.

yep same stuff your a bit further inland now so not so much wet stuff always. But yes the freeze crystal, same process here. Anyways glad someone is getting snow. Nothing here and maybe a 1" sometime next week.

yep same stuff your a bit further inland now so not so much wet stuff always. But yes the freeze crystal, same process here. Anyways glad someone is getting snow. Nothing here and maybe a 1" sometime next week.

Were getting pretty hammered, even here. We got about 18" at the house, and are supposed to get snow every day until Tuesday. Then single digit highs and a few - 20 lows :eek:

Top Back Refresh