What's new

2020 ranger, no power

Ksand

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Southern Hellinois
I was driving through the woods and lost all electrical power. Everything is metering good, but it won't turn over, the display won't light up and the fuel pump won't come on. Doesn't anyone know how to jumper the ignition so I can see if it will start? It's a 2020 ranger 1000 non xp

This isn’t specific to that machine, I haven’t ever worked on one, but from general OHV mechanic troubleshooting.

1. Start with/at the battery. Make sure the ground is tight on both ends, positive is tight, and ideally try it with another battery. They can measure good with a volt meter but have a bad cell inside o they conk out with any load.

2. A lot of ATV’s and motorcycles have a main fuse on the starter solenoid, separate from anything in the fuse block. It’s the next thing to check if everything is dead with the key on.

3. When you say everything is “metering good” what exactly do you mean? You’ve verified it’s getting 12v into the key switch, and 12v out when it’s in the “on” position?

If so, it sounds like you may have a loose connection somewhere. That’s more likely than corrosion on something basically brand new IMO. At that point you really need to get a wiring diagram and pick through it. With newer stuff, it’s likely that you get a signal into a black box of some type like the dash, and it then kicks a signal out to the fuel pump, starter solenoid, etc, rather than a completely analog system. Trouble with that is it’s generally a ”best guess” that the dash, computer, etc is bad.

It’s unlikely to be a safety switch like the park position or brake pedal sensor if you’re not even getting dash power, but if it turns into that but no crank I’d check them.

At that point, it can be handy to have another machine to swap modules with, assuming they haven’t done something completely retarded like VIN matched them and locked them with security features. Ducati has since 2007 ish FWIW.

Last edited:
This isn’t specific to that machine, I haven’t ever worked on one, but from general OHV mechanic troubleshooting.

1. Start with/at the battery. Make sure the ground is tight on both ends, positive is tight, and ideally try it with another battery. They can measure good with a volt meter but have a bad cell inside o they conk out with any load.

2. A lot of ATV’s and motorcycles have a main fuse on the starter solenoid, separate from anything in the fuse block. It’s the next thing to check if everything is dead with the key on.

3. When you say everything is “metering good” what exactly do you mean? You’ve verified it’s getting 12v into the key switch, and 12v out when it’s in the “on” position?

If so, it sounds like you may have a loose connection somewhere. That’s more likely than corrosion on something basically brand new IMO. At that point you really need to get a wiring diagram and pick through it. With newer stuff, it’s likely that you get a signal into a black box of some type like the dash, and it then kicks a signal out to the fuel pump, starter solenoid, etc, rather than a completely analog system. Trouble with that is it’s generally a ”best guess” that the dash, computer, etc is bad.

It’s unlikely to be a safety switch like the park position or brake pedal sensor if you’re not even getting dash power, but if it turns into that but no crank I’d check them.

At that point, it can be handy to have another machine to swap modules with, assuming they haven’t done something completely retarded like VIN matched them and locked them with security features. Ducati has since 2007 ish FWIW.
I have an actual Polaris print, battery is good, all fuses are good,

Do you actually have power at the fuse box? They are bad for breaking a wire between the splice connections and the fuse box.

Must have been a stuck relay. (Even though I swapped them around multiple times ) I finally got pissed and beat the fuse panel and the power came on

Top Back Refresh