What's new

2020 gardens

Ugly pumpkin

Member Number
Loc
Port Huron, Michigan
Who's got one in? Planted mine today. Tomatoes, beans, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce and carrots.

photo2464.jpg

Raised beds inside the fenced yard with a dog, otherwise the deer would eat everything.

photo2466.jpg

39D708EF-2840-4AF1-8060-9183DD67E7B8.jpeg
Hopefully I will get my garden alll planted this weekend. My starts are all rdy to go.

There is a run on starter plants here. Greenhouses are empty. Madness.

That’s why you grow your own lol. A greenhouse is the way to go. No need to harden off the plants. I used to start them in the house but had a hard time Hardening them up. Never had the time to do it right.

Last edited:
After last weekend's erection of the greenhouse, weather turned to shit. Snow in the forecast next few days.
we picked up more fruit trees and lilac today though.

IMG_20200523_070439.jpg

IMG_20200523_124705.jpg

There is a run on starter plants here. Greenhouses are empty. Madness.

Pretty much everyone is aware of possible food shortages. People who have never gardened before are for the first time, and a lot of them. Many seed suppliers are selling out. It's always good, but especially this year to support your local farmers.

Last edited:
Because I have a bunch of free range assholes (chickens) I have to fence off my garden so I just grow a small one.

I am finally growing just the stuff I like the most.

I have about 16 cherry tomato plants

12 sweet banana pepper plants

A few hot pepper plants

And I also have an onion area that is not fenced in but the chickens leave those alone.

We picked up some plants the other day, mom has repotted most of them. have seeds started and potatoes chitting going to container garden this year using earth tubs, and grow bags using the constant water pans method, on our back porch to fend off the rabbits. Next year I hope to have a fenced in area with deep beds for next year.

D9370E98-918C-48E3-8309-C15C6ACCEF46.jpeg
E21A20C7-8054-4A62-A5BC-8F41A33F9A10.jpeg

Spent a few hours and got all of my starts in the garden. 9 peppers, 8 celery, 6 broccoli, 4 cantaloupe, 4 watermelon, 12 roma, and 8 better boy tomatoes. I’m gonna try the plastic and see if that helps my weed situation.

6D8620FA-91EB-4DFE-8021-407D74F45161.jpeg
DCA95602-FFFE-48BA-AC8B-BE6A839EF274.jpeg
703B6514-888A-4350-B4F0-5AFF558A2D67.jpeg
8CAC7675-9534-4980-B4ED-96FF9BFCB7A1.jpeg
DDA86651-ED49-432C-833B-5E82E2F954F9.jpeg

Tomato tech:

A old timer showed me this method to plant your tomato starts. Cut off all the leaves except for the ones at the very end. Dig a trench and lay the plant horizontally in the hole. As your backfilling the hole bend the top up just so it sticks out of the ground. Tomato plants are strange in that if the whiskers on the stem get buried they grow new roots. This method encourages good root growth so the plant can make nice big tomato’s. The first time you try this method it feels weird cutting off all those nice leaves. I have really good luck with this method.

built this one,
first year in house
30 x 40 area,
taters, toms, pumpkin, peas. peppers, radishes, peppers, hot and sweet. carrots, strawberry, broccoli, coliflower, yellow squash. the back field has sweet corn, Indian corn and sunflowers

20200510_164508.jpg

built this one,
first year in house
30 x 40 area,
taters, toms, pumpkin, peas. peppers, radishes, peppers, hot and sweet. carrots, strawberry, broccoli, coliflower, yellow squash. the back field has sweet corn, Indian corn and sunflowers

Have fun weeding all that!

I keep it small and keep about 4" of wood chips on top of my soil. No weeding, no tilling.

Easy way to garden.

Tomato tech:

A old timer showed me this method to plant your tomato starts. Cut off all the leaves except for the ones at the very end. Dig a trench and lay the plant horizontally in the hole. As your backfilling the hole bend the top up just so it sticks out of the ground. Tomato plants are strange in that if the whiskers on the stem get buried they grow new roots. This method encourages good root growth so the plant can make nice big tomato’s. The first time you try this method it feels weird cutting off all those nice leaves. I have really good luck with this method.

Fishhead under each tomato plant really does work. Try that. Plants die later.

ya had the same cluster.
need to do the same

I got the 6x8 from harbor freight. I started everything in it from seeds. I did have to put a small electric heater in it as the first few weeks the nights got down into the teens. Last few weeks I had to really pay attention to the day time temps before I headed out to work. If the daytime temp got in the 60’s and I didn’t open the roof vents it would get over 110 in there. I think with a audrino setup I could wire in a fan and the heater to help maintain a nice 54 degree greenhouse.

The greenhouse is awesome in that the plants that grow up in are hardened off. No need to do that step. I had the worst luck trying to harden off plants I started in the house. That just takes way too much time that I don’t have to do it. With how well this harbor freight one did I’m thinking about building a nice one on the south side of my house so I can grow food all year round.

I got the 6x8 from harbor freight. I started everything in it from seeds. I did have to put a small electric heater in it as the first few weeks the nights got down into the teens. Last few weeks I had to really pay attention to the day time temps before I headed out to work. If the daytime temp got in the 60’s and I didn’t open the roof vents it would get over 110 in there. I think with a audrino setup I could wire in a fan and the heater to help maintain a nice 54 degree greenhouse.

The greenhouse is awesome in that the plants that grow up in are hardened off. No need to do that step. I had the worst luck trying to harden off plants I started in the house. That just takes way too much time that I don’t have to do it. With how well this harbor freight one did I’m thinking about building a nice one on the south side of my house so I can grow food all year round.

good deal, planning for next year.
building a pole barn this summer thinking of adding a small green house to it.
but the hf one sounds good to go.

The seeds I started didn't go well, had to buy plants, that hurt, Im usually giving away plants. Hope to get the garde6in today and tomorrow.

I did a raised bed keyhole style garden last year to see how it went. Well, it was enjoyable, so this year I did a 14'x4', 8'x3' with a hog panel trellis and a short 6'x3' for the kids.

I was about to buy lumber and tin to do these when my dad called. Hey, Vic paid me to tear down an old horse barn, come help me and you can have the shit..... Perfect

0524200933_HDR.jpg

14x4 is all scrap from tearing the barn down, except for the top rail. It has 6 different tomato plants, green beans that are all about dead and 6 or 8 pepper plants.
0524200934d.jpg

The 8x3 got some more scrap love with some poles and hog fence trellis. I am going to try to get the yellow squash and zucchini to grow vertical. Also did some cukes and pink chinese celery in the front.
0524200934b.jpg

The small one has a fuck ton of carrot seeds. Its about all the garden store had by the time I built it and got the kids to decide what they wanted. They also picked the pink celery. It was built using their old swing set, it was the only way I could talk them into not putting that piece of shit back up. :lmao:I had to move it last year when we got a new septic system and it barely made the move without coming apart.

0524200934a.jpg

There is also a tire that was going to get strawberries and blueberries, but none were available in town. Kids talked me into trying watermelon.....
0524200935.jpg

Also, there is a big plastic barrel that the top is coming off and it will be a herb garden. I am thinking about cutting holes down the side randomly for a barrel garden.

Good stuff. StacEy has become obsessed with gardening. We are camping this weekend, but I'll get some pics of ours when we get home.

We haven’t had a garden for a few years. The kids asked if they could do one this year, so I made a cedar raised bed. We also used an 8’ galvanized cattle tank that I had sitting around.

31A167FC-EC27-4A79-97C5-6892AA2F7C74.jpeg DDF41961-B25B-4230-9BA6-7E611BEF1237.jpeg

We do a few raised boxes. Lettuce and spinach went in a few weeks ago. Sweet potatoes, beans, and peas yesterday. Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and some corn outside the fence going in today.

photo3114.jpg

Top Back Refresh