What's new

2020 Firewood Thread

Scout in the video make it, or more toasted than the video makes it look?

It is more toasted than the video makes it look, but still looks like a fixer upper. From the road anyway. That property had a claims adjuster enclosed trailer and pickup sitting there at least 5 days. The home didn’t make it.

The people in that area are still kinda unsettled, and leery of “disaster tourists” and people trying to take advantage of them. They’re welcoming of me once they know what I’m up to, and that I have land kinda nearby. I mostly avoided taking pictures, I only have that one after the last load, and it’s facing away from their house.

Burnable ex-wood

photo29910.jpg

photo29911.jpg

Sharp looking truck, why not put the wood in the bed that is attached to the truck instead of the trailer?
I probably know why, but the picture presented the question.

I’m guessing so he can just park the trailer by his splitting area and work away at it as he’s got time. Sure beats having to unload the bed after a long day of cutting and hauling wood.

I’m guessing so he can just park the trailer by his splitting area and work away at it as he’s got time. Sure beats having to unload the bed after a long day of cutting and hauling wood.

That is my thoughts

why not put the wood in the bed that is attached to the truck instead of the trailer?

At first I thought this question was directed at me, I do the same thing. I do it because I would have to unload tools, spare tire, twelve gallon water tank, and other stuff. I considered doing it last time.

At first I thought this question was directed at me, I do the same thing. I do it because I would have to unload tools, spare tire, twelve gallon water tank, and other stuff. I considered doing it last time.

That’s the biggest thing for me. I might throw the last couple of rounds that won’t fit well on the trailer in the bed, but 99% goes on the trailer. I’m not unloading my gang box and all my work shit, wrestling side boards in place, and then stuffing saws and gas cans in the cab to leak everywhere when I can just hook to my trailer that lives with its side boards in place, and throw all my crap in the bed

Sharp looking truck, why not put the wood in the bed that is attached to the truck instead of the trailer?
I probably know why, but the picture presented the question.

Thank you. It is a sharp looking truck for sure. And I'd like to keep it that way. So, I would much rather beat up an old Dodge truck bed trailer than beat up that sexy black pickup.

3 hours in, cut, harass the hunters, home.
Half of it split and stacked already. I will have to figure out how to youtube the 50CJ3A Stickler logsplitter.

Last edited:
3 hours in, cut, harass the hunters, home.

I wish I lived where you did then. I’m dragging heavy ass wet oak, ash, and locust out of valleys and up to the trucks. Takes forever. Although it really makes you appreciate it when you do get a chance to just roll shit downhill towards your truck. Right up until you let a round fly and it heads right for your drivers door, takes a weird hop, and smashes the whole thing to hell. Not that I’d ever be dumb enough to do that of course:flipoff2:

That’s the biggest thing for me. I might throw the last couple of rounds that won’t fit well on the trailer in the bed, but 99% goes on the trailer. I’m not unloading my gang box and all my work shit, wrestling side boards in place, and then stuffing saws and gas cans in the cab to leak everywhere when I can just hook to my trailer that lives with its side boards in place, and throw all my crap in the bed

^This.

Plus I’m a long ways from anywhere, and don’t have a place to securely store stuff up there. I’d rather keep it with me, both because I might need it and because nothing can happen to it.

I’ll let them go towards or behind the trailer, if there’s something to stop them, and it’s not too steep. I did that last time with two foot plus logs.

That’s usually the goal. And it works out most of the time. But I’ve lost a door and a fender to rounds taking a weird hop in the past 15 years. It’s almost like the trees are mad I cut them down or something

I wish I lived where you did then. I’m dragging heavy ass wet oak, ash, and locust out of valleys and up to the trucks. Takes forever. Although it really makes you appreciate it when you do get a chance to just roll shit downhill towards your truck. Right up until you let a round fly and it heads right for your drivers door, takes a weird hop, and smashes the whole thing to hell. Not that I’d ever be dumb enough to do that of course:flipoff2:

I've got about 600' of static rope. I will cut any standing dead tree within 590' of the road. I yard that shit out, And cut it out on the road where I can handle it.

It's all about working smarter, not harder.

That’s usually the goal. And it works out most of the time. But I’ve lost a door and a fender to rounds taking a weird hop in the past 15 years. It’s almost like the trees are mad I cut them down or something

If I am felling a standing tree. Aside from the obvious overhead hazards, I keep my truck and trailer a good 5 minute hike away. I take zero chances.

I've got about 600' of static rope. I will cut any standing dead tree within 590' of the road. I yard that shit out, And cut it out on the road where I can handle it.

Fancy guys out west with their ropes, firewood permits, and cutting on public lands:flipoff2:

I would if I could. Our oaks tend to be a bit more spread out in the canopy than what you are cutting. They’d fight me harder than 2 raccoons fighting over a doughnut if I just yanked them out while. I’d have buck them up and make a minimum of 3 pulls to get all the wood up to the truck then. where I cut is steep and rocky, the logs would get hung up every 10 feet or so even buckled into small pieces. And most places I’d only have room to winch it, not yard it with the truck, so I’d be dragging cable up and down the side of a mountain all day.

If I am felling a standing tree. Aside from the obvious overhead hazards, I keep my truck and trailer a good 5 minute hike away. I take zero chances.

I would too if I just spent all that time and effort you did making your truck as nice as it is. But my truck looks like a bag of smashed rusty assholes, so I’m alright with taking the risk of rolling stuff at it. It’s never nearby when I’m falling anything that could conceivably not go exactly where I want to put it.

I keep my truck and trailer a good 5 minute hike away.

I’m well out of reach of the tree I’m felling, but not 5 minutes. It doesn’t need to be that far.

My dog freaks out when I’m dropping trees, I keep her in the truck now. Last time up a guy found her a half mile up the road, and I didn’t know she was missing. She seems to feel safe in the truck, and it’s actually better for her.

I use about a 100' piece of 1/4" aircraft cable to yard with, I usually put a snatch block up in a tree on the opposite side of the log road then one end to the log and the other to the front tow hook on my truck then just back up until the log crosses the road. To be clear this is private land and just skidder trails not really roads.

You get it high enough that the log you’re moving stays off the ground?

If your asking me the answer is yes, I put a strap (tree saver) as high in the tree as I can (with a ladder) and by hooking cable t the front tow hook I can usually watch the log coming up the hill. I have a tractor with winch now though but I still skid some with the Jeep occasionally (I'm a lot more comfortable on side hills in the Jeep) LOL

I thought I was pretty safe from collateral damage with this setup. But one of my kids has missed the trailer by 8 feet and put a log into my radiator :laughing:

IMG_20181016_143901.jpg

Working on two more wood storage sheds. Tarps just wasn't doing the best job keeping everything dry. Then dealing with the 5' of snow on top of the tarps. Had this one shed for a year and its freaking awesome.

image_30351.jpg

image_30352.jpg

Got a bunch more wood that needs cutting though. Thinking about inviting my folk's and my wife's folks over for an outdoors day. We split wood. Wife's bitch and moan about the guys splitting wood. That sort of thing.

I’m well out of reach of the tree I’m felling, but not 5 minutes. It doesn’t need to be that far.

My dog freaks out when I’m dropping trees, I keep her in the truck now. Last time up a guy found her a half mile up the road, and I didn’t know she was missing. She seems to feel safe in the truck, and it’s actually better for her.

I was being sarcastic. The truck is not 5 minutes away, but its far enough to be safe. I've seen the top 8 or so feet of a tree snap off and go sailing thru the air, or a log on the ground take flight when the felled tree lands on it, all kinds of shit like that. I left my dog at home this time too. I usually take her with, but with all the yahoos out there with rifles that do not make sure of their target, and its stressful enough to drop trees without a lookout. The dog is one less thing to worry about.

Im trying to figure out this whole Youtube thing. I have a short video of using my 50 CJ3A to split wood with s Stickler. I think its cool, you guys might enjoy.

Ha! Youtube video worked out.

I've not timed it, but I swear this thing is faster than your typical hydraulic log splitter. It's for sure quieter and more fuel efficient, and easier when dealing with big rounds.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh