What's new

2019 f350 noise

Wilson

Newb
Member Number
My truck has 71k on it and a month or two ago I started hearing a sound at lower speeds that sounded like “tire growl.” My tires were getting thin, so that was my assumed culprit. I’ve now had three different brands of tires on in the last two days and the noise persists.

At highway speeds, it really isn’t noticeable. Driving through towns/ neighborhoods with stop, go and slowing it is. It is also more noticeable with the windows up. The driveline and front axle shafts spin freely. The only thing that I have noticed is the driver’s stub shaft has a fair amount of play at the back side of the hub. There is almost none on the passenger side. Is this symptomatic with a unit bearing that is about to shit the bed?

Do they use a "spindle bearing" in the back of the UB to support the shaft in those? If so that's were I'd look first.

You gotta lift the truck off the ground and check for play to see if the unit bearing is worn.

yes those unit bearings have a smaller separate bearing to support the axle shaft. good chance that is shitting the bed. if the unit bearing itself is still good you can change out that bearing, but pretty sure ford doesn't want you to. there is a large snap ring that holds it in, just pop it out and hammer it out. I've gotten replacements from local bearing suppliers. but at 71k the whole unit may be on its way out..

Wouldn't those bearings not be spinning in 2wd?

Are the newer UB not as good as the ~05-10 ones? Our 2008 and 2010 work trucks seemed to go forever without needing wheel bearings.

Wouldn't those bearings not be spinning in 2wd?

Are the newer UB not as good as the ~05-10 ones? Our 2008 and 2010 work trucks seemed to go forever without needing wheel bearings.
they are pressed into the part of the bearing that spins with the wheel. so the inside of the bearing is held still by the stub shaft in 2wd.

Well that seems retarded :laughing:
Sure does, I was following your same logic while trying to figure out how it would be spinning.

I have an appointment next Tuesday at an independent shop. Hopefully there is no collateral damage from me running it.

If is anything like the older f350s it’s a tiny needle bearing that shits the bed. They only spin when you unlock the hubs. It’s a needle bearing that rides on the outboard axle shaft. The axle is the race, so usually by the time you hear the noise the outboard axle shaft has a gouge in it.

Can you make the noise go away by putting in 4wd and driving?

I don't have anything to add but I see a lot of 17+ stupid duties with the front stubs spinning during the summer months.

Could have the hubs locked accidentally could be in 4wd or something fubar.

I honestly didn’t dig… I’ll get the old one back for a post-mortem. I thought the LH had a bad roller bearing, they said it checked out ok and have seen varying levels of play. I trust the shop

It was the “wheel” bearings that had become gritty, not the ball assembly on the stub. The assembly still felt tight.

Top Back Refresh