What's new

2019 3500 Laramie electronic gremlins

User Deleted

Bought the above truck used with 19,000 miles on it. Came with a suspension lift and big tires and was set up for overloading with a tent on top and (rather nice) KC light bar slash cab rack.

After we ge it home, dash lights and engine lights coming on. Stupid shit like throwing bad DEF sensor (dodge calls it reductant level) codes when the gauge shows full. Took it into Dodge and they uploaded new software and everything went away. Few days later the rear air suspension light comes on. Goes off and on at random times. If it goes off while driving, it wipes out the electronic speedo screen and loses the settings icon and miles to go on the tank (for lack of its real name) and just displays the speed. Been in the shop multiple times as I suspected a bad BCM which one of the original codes was "no comms with BCM". Dodge can find nothing wrong electronically. Yesterday, I get in it, and pretty much every warning displayed, air bag, brakes, trailer control, etc..., started going off while driving. This went on for a bit and then everything cleared aside from the normal air bag suspension warning light. This has happened several times now and sometimes the door locks unlock and lock while driving.

I have read that it may be a loose ground issue and believable due to a lift had been installed but I can find nothing on the ground wire locations and I think dodge would have picked that up on their computer. But maybe not if it had a good ground at the dealership. I feel like sooner or later something is going to happen and cause the truck to either die or not run because of all the frigging warnings and codes being thrown.

How the hell do I approach this and getting it fixed without going broke taking it into the dealership constantly?

I have no evidence it was ever deleted. Never even considered that though. Kinda hard for me to fathom someone deleting a brand new truck. I would think there would be evidence of a prior delete and I haven't seen anything out of the normal.

Forgot to mention, when that air bag light is on, the truck shifts like ass. Shifts so hard it feels like someone kicked the back of your seat. When the light is off, it shifts great and has normal (great) acceleration.

This normal nothing to worry about or so I have been told.

Buy a decent code reader. One that does SRS, ABS, etc. Or download alfaOBD and buy a elm327 obd2 adapter.

This normal nothing to worry about or so I have been told.

X2. Perfectly normal Fiat/Peugeot operation.

Buy a decent code reader. One that does SRS, ABS, etc. Or download alfaOBD and buy a elm327 obd2 adapter.

X2. Perfectly normal Fiat/Peugeot operation.
I have one. It does not do any good with these issues. They pop on and off while driving and nothing is stored.

Welcome to dodge and all their shit Canbus systems have to offer. They started using them in 06 I believe and have been garbage since.

Leads me to believe a loose harness connector or a bad TIPM.
TIPM = BCM? Same thing right?

Stealership said mine tested good if it is the same as the BCM which it looks like it is. I agree that is sounds like that fuse box (whatever it is called, I call it a BCM, the truck calls it a BCM) is the culprit but here is the catch. It is an 800.00+ fix and has to be done at the dealer due to being programmed. $400.00 for BCM and 400.00 programming and installation. So after a grand, it may not solve the problem.

I have an extended warranty that kicks in at the end of the month and I am very tempted to just park this thing at Dodge until they can make it run without the Air Bag light coming on and having fits of the dash lighting up like an x-mas tree.

TIPM = BCM? Same thing right?

I've never worked on the newest generation ram. Typically your BCM is located in the cab and the TIPM is under the hood. Like the fuse blocks of yesteryear with more complexity and different names.

TIPM is a new term that I am unfamiliar with until your post. The actual code says loss of communication with BCM. From researching on the internet, the BCM is under the hood and resembles a fuse box normally found under the dash.

Currently down the street at a German pub and that thing cycled through all the warning messages on the way here. Unlocked and locked the doors several times as well. Shit has been going on for over two months now. Obviously this thing was a lemon and why the PO traded it in. I have to decide whether to throw money at it or try to dump it. I ain’t saying what I paid for it but I am going to lose a lot of money either way. This pos was supposed to be my daily driver and I don’t trust it.

TIPM is a new term that I am unfamiliar with until your post. The actual code says loss of communication with BCM. From researching on the internet, the BCM is under the hood and resembles a fuse box normally found under the dash.

Currently down the street at a German pub and that thing cycled through all the warning messages on the way here. Unlocked and locked the doors several times as well. Shit has been going on for over two months now. Obviously this thing was a lemon and why the PO traded it in. I have to decide whether to throw money at it or try to dump it. I ain’t saying what I paid for it but I am going to lose a lot of money either way. This pos was supposed to be my daily driver and I don’t trust it.

2019 has no more bumper to bumper warranty remaining?

Chrysler/FCA vehicles are notorious for bad TIPM, they're such a shit design.

They basically turned a fuse block, which strait up worked, into a shitbox circuit board.

I guess they're calling it a BCM now.

Work at a body shop and have had similar issues over the years on various brands. We have a mechanic shop that kicks ass at troubleshooting that we use a lot. Had a ram that with similar gremlins a few years ago and the tech said he tracked it down to the connector pins on the harness itself losing tension and making intermittent connections with modules we never even touched. So thats a low buck option to gently massage every terminal on each connector for the tipm and bcm i guess?

Ok. Question, do I have a BCM and TIPM? I have a BCM for sure because the one code is loss of communication with BCM.

The loose pin really sounds like a believable option as these issues are so intermittent. GF has it at a different Dodge dealership right now because previous dealership said this one had a better diesel mechanic. I keep saying this isn't a diesel issue, it is an electronic issue. After a LOT of research on Google, this is a very common problem throughout all of their trucks. Gas and diesel combined.

You have both, along with a variety of other modules that control everything from trailer braking to USB ports. Since I have been back in the Parts Manager role, we have replaced more TIPMs than I can count on various vehicles. They actually have a reman program for them, if that is any indication of how much of a pain they have been.

You have both, along with a variety of other modules that control everything from trailer braking to USB ports. Since I have been back in the Parts Manager role, we have replaced more TIPMs than I can count on various vehicles. They actually have a reman program for them, if that is any indication of how much of a pain they have been.
Awesome. It is going back Wednesday to be completely checked out. The new dealership seems to be taking ownership of it stated it is under warranty and they need to fix it. We also had RamCares on another site wanting us to contact them to elevate the problem.

Here is another question,
What does the TIPM control vs BCM? I understand the BCM controls all the cab functions.

Chrysler/FCA vehicles are notorious for bad TIPM, they're such a shit design.

They basically turned a fuse block, which strait up worked, into a shitbox circuit board.

I guess they're calling it a BCM now.
BCM is still a body control module.

TIPM is totally integrated power module, basically a smart fuse block. My 2010 has this and they are problematic, I've been through 5 in past 8 months...

Now adays, I'd say from 18+ it is called a PDC... power distribution center. It still is a smart fuse block and they are supposed to be better and they are less than half the cost of a TIPM.

But, funky electronics goings on I'd say start at battery and then look at TIPM/PDC.

I've also heard if the SGW (security gateway) goes it can do funky things but idk for sure.

That reman QC sucks balls.

I had to order in 5 TIPMs before one actually passed all checks.

One would turn drivers high beam on when truck was turned off.

One had the trailer park circuit constant 12V, and a head light power surge issue.

One had two pins shoved into one spot.

One finally passed whatever checks they started doing but I've only been on it for a week so time will tell.

Awesome. It is going back Wednesday to be completely checked out. The new dealership seems to be taking ownership of it stated it is under warranty and they need to fix it. We also had RamCares on another site wanting us to contact them to elevate the problem.

Here is another question,
What does the TIPM control vs BCM? I understand the BCM controls all the cab functions.
TiPM is the fuseblock and central hub for all other modules that communicate to each other. So rather than having to scan each and every module separately they can all be scanned or programmed or talked to through one part as a network.

BCM talks to and operates things such as your gauges and other modules like WIN, HVAC, seats, radio, RF hub... all dash stuff

I am not a tech, nor scientist, nor expert but I've dealt with a few TIPM issues in the past year and through my research and understandings I've came to this info...

If you're a TIPM professor and I've got it wrong by all means correct the info, we've got way too much misinfo out there already

The new dealer seems to have their shit together. Magically, the truck is still under warranty with them. smh. New dealership guy is very proactive about fixing everything now. When he scanned it, it had a DPF code along with the box that deals with the air bags. Fixed the DPF deal and ordered the control box for the suspension. He told us to make a list of everything and get it to him when we bring it back in for the suspension module. Said he is going to fix everything we want under the warranty.

I managed to lock the fob in the truck a few weeks ago. Yes, I know this shouldn't be possible but the electronics were all fucked up. I ripped the door gasket with the coat hanger I used to get back in. There is a water leak on the passenger side front window. Right about where the oh shit handle is.

I am waiting to see if the air bags leak since they have been deflated so long. He said he will find out when they get the suspension module in.

Update: Went in the shop Monday night as they finally got the rear suspension box and sensor in. Called us up yesterday afternoon and said it was all set. No codes and no warnings. Drop GF off to pick it up and drive home and got a call 5 minutes later. She got in, started it up, unlocked the doors and the "ding-ding" show began. Had to turn around and go pick her up. Technician said he is going to do some testing but is pretty sure it is the BCM. I thought no shit? Figure why that's why I get "Loss of communication with BCM" every time I plug my code reader into it?

This can't get any better. So we get a call today and they say the water leak on the drivers side A pillar is being caused by the back window. The back window.... So they ordered a new back window and it won't be in until next week. They also say the Start Connector is broke and they suspect that is causing the electrical errors. I had to google that one and it seems to just be a bus or multi plug for all the CAN systems to plug into and allow communication. That won't be in until next week either. Well, today is Friday so of course it will be next week. They asked to keep the truck to continue troubleshooting.

At this point I couldn't imagine how much money we would be out if we were paying for all this. We have only had the truck 3 days so far this month so we are getting zero use out of it. I really think they should put this pile of shit back on the electrical assembly line at the factory and redo every electrical box, computer, sensor or gadget or take it somewhere and set fire to it. We paid 73K for a truck that we basically cannot use. We got 1 camping trip out of it before all this shit started. Actually, we were getting warnings and lights before but with the camper hooked up, it never had any problems.

Had the truck back for 2 days and it seems to be fixed. No more warning or CEL lights and the door locks don't pop by themselves. We were told it was a bad Star Connector and when changing it out, they found a bad solder on one of the wires.

Top Back Refresh