What's new

2016 Grizzly 700 trail build

Toreadorranger

Atomic Test Lab Rat
Member Number
Loc
CT
I bought this machine new in 2016 as a workhorse/plow setup for my house. Recently we have gotten a group of people together to start riding. Most of the other machines I normally ride with are sport quads. A lot of Raptors and LTZ400s. Since I bought it, it has been stock but now that we are doing more trail riding its time to do some upgrades.

20160115_160343.jpg

Rox sells an upgraded footpeg setup for $90, but I opted to install a set of OEM Can-am footpegs off the Renegades. Its a big upgrade from the barely there steel pegs.

20211101_212731.jpg

Next I changed out the bars with a ROX 5" Riser and fat bar setup.

20211120_153957.jpg

The tires on it are the factory 26x8-12 and 26x10-12 Maxxis. I would love to upgrade them but they have such little use its hard to justify the cost. When they get swapped out the plan is to change over to a set of beadlocks with a 4+3 offset to gain an inch of width on each corner. (OEM is 5+2 offset)

In the mean time I threw on a set of 1" wheels spacers. Almost not noticeable visually but made a huge improvement in the corners. Only going with 1" also helped keep the tires under the fenders still and helps me stay clean.

20211227_151703.jpg

20211227_164145.jpg

This is my first CVT anything so its a big adjustment for me. Figuring out how it works has been an ordeal in its self. Apparently its not magic.

After doing a bunch of research the cheapest and easiest route for clutch mods is to shim the primary 1.5mm and change out the secondary spring for a slightly stiffer spring. I will loose some top end speed with the shim but most report only about 4-5mph and I rarely spend much time there (~65mph for the oem setup) I can always swap to a machined primary sheeve down the road if I find it to be a real problem and gain that speed back.

In the mail is an EPI performance Purple spring for the secondary which is about 5lbs stiffer at 3" and 1 3/4" load then the factory spring and the shims from JBS performance.

Looks like you have the base modifications down for your rig. regarding tires, I've got two different suggestions that have worked for me, currently running a set of 26x9x12 wanda brand maxxis knock offs on all 4 corners of the wifes '11grizz 550, they're mounted on itp delta steel wheels.

grizz 11.jpg

grizz 10.jpg

Running a set of 27x9.5x14 Bearclaw HTRs on my '21 Grizz 700.

htr.jpg

grizz 700 bumper.jpg

Running a set of 27x9.5x14 Bearclaw HTRs on my '21 Grizz 700.
How do you like the HTRs? I originally was looking at the SUNF bighorn knockoffs, but after reading a bunch and watching some GNCC races. It looks like people really like the HTRs. I am planning on a 26x9-12 square setup with them.

Last edited:
How do you like the HTRs? I originally was looking at the SUNF bighorn knockoffs, but after reading a bunch and watching some GNCC races. It looks like people really like the HTRs. I am planning on a 26x9-12 square setup with them.
The HTRs are great, I ride a mix of hardpack, sand, dirt, woods, and a little mud so they are exactly what i need. surprisingly enough they were within 75$ of the chinese knock offs I bought for the wifes 550. I wish I'd have found this site before I bought the Wandas, I would have HTRs on both Machines.

jhama78 Thanks for the link, What lightbar and clamps do you have on your machine? Most of the stuff I find the clamps are huge, I like the placement of that not being in the way,

I had a set of kenda bearclaw HTR on my canam 850 xtp and really liked them. I did have a terrible wobble with one tire on hard pack roads at higher speeds. I was able to have them send me another tire which basically cured the problem.

Attachments

• can am 2.JPG
    can am 2.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 10
jhama78 Thanks for the link, What lightbar and clamps do you have on your machine? Most of the stuff I find the clamps are huge, I like the placement of that not being in the way,
Running this light bar: Amazon.com

These Mounts: Amazon.com

This Harness: Amazon.com

and this Switch: Amazon.com: Red LED Motorcycle Switch Horn ON-Off Headlight Fog Light Handlebar Adjustable Mount Waterproof Switches Button DC12V momentary Actions Cycling Retail : Automotive

on my machine and the switch that came with the harness on the wifes.

I had a set of kenda bearclaw HTR on my canam 850 xtp and really liked them. I did have a terrible wobble with one tire on hard pack roads at higher speeds. I was able to have them send me another tire which basically cured the problem.
I have a tiny bit of wobble on the road above 45 or so, but with how little i traverse roads i am not worried about it in the least. its almost invisible with the power steering. next time i have the tires off the machine I plan to move them to the rear to see how it acts.

More parts showed up today.

My grizzly was the first year of a new motor (708cc vs 686cc) The 708 was a limited run for a few years and is pretty lean on the tuning side from the factory. This causes it to run very hot the plastics next to the motor get too hot to touch on my machine.

I had EHS tuning send me their fuel tuner to fix the lean tune and let me do some limited tuning for the intake kit I also bought from them as well as some future exhaust mods.

20220118_171814.jpg

I picked up their UNI filter setup. The OEM filter sucks, its restrictive and is a foam cylinder over metal that has a tendency to let lots of dirt past the foam. The new setup fixes all of that. EHS dynos all their setups and the tuner and the filter setup has shown to pick up 4-5hp, which doesnt seem like alot but on a ~50hp engine it should be a nice increase.

20220118_171838.jpg

20220118_171848.jpg

Not my photo, but this shows the crappy OEM setup. you can see how much dust gets by the filter.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 19-21-11 Let's discuss the dust pattern in this air filter pic.png

Got almost everything I ordered installed last week.

Tuner is on and the Intake is in as well. Pulled most of the center plastics and then the air box.

20220122_143648.jpg

OEM filter is way over oiled and this has to be the stickiest filter oil I have ever dealt with. Even after warming it up in the house it still took a full can of brake clean and some scrubbing to get it all out.

20220122_145148.jpg

Install is pretty easy, hardest part was getting it back together since it was ~25F and none of the rubber parts wanted to cooperate. You drill a few holes and bolt up the adapter, cut the intake tube to fit and slap it all back together. While it was out I installed the EHS tuner since I had easy access to the fuel injector plug.

20220123_115435.jpg

20220122_214558.jpg

Next up was the Clutch shims. This is my first time messing with a CVT so it was a bit of a learning experience. Overall they are way simpler than I was expecting. I pulled the primary cage then the outer sheeve. Slipped on a 1.5mm shim and everything went back in reverse order. I do have a Secondary spring to go on on as well, but I didn't have the tool to compress it yet so Ill put that in at another time.

20220123_135043.jpg

20220123_135257.jpg

20220121_135523.jpg

We just got about a foot and half of snow here, so I took it out for a ride and the tuner, intake and shims made a huge difference. The low speed lag off idle is gone and the front comes up nicely when it has traction.

20220130_132242.jpg

20220130_133605.jpg

Now that the tuner is in and I can adjust for some exhaust mods, I Installed the exhaust tip. it is late so all I did was idle it in the garage. It definitely has a much lower thumpier sound. Ill take it for a ride tomorrow to see exactly how loud it is now.

factory tip.

20220206_212332.jpg

comparison vs the two.

20220206_212340.jpg

I love it. I’ve got a 2003 Kodiak 400 that I need to get around to refreshing some day. Thanks for sharing the progress.

Picked up so used ITP Delta wheels for super cheap. Got all 4 shipped off ebay for $63 total. They are 12x7 in 5+2. ITP is known for being aggressive with the offset. So its closer to a 4.5+2.5.

I had read of issues with fitting these wheels on the IRS grizzlys. Sure enough the shell hits the brakes on the rear without the 1" spacers. Since I already had the spacers ill keep running them as they give enough brake clearance.

20220304_184145.jpg

20220305_160846.jpg

Did you do an air injection system delete when you had the airbox out? all it takes is a 1/2" vacuum cap over the barb on the airbox and then slip the hose back over it.

Did you do an air injection system delete when you had the airbox out? all it takes is a 1/2" vacuum cap over the barb on the airbox and then slip the hose back over it.
I didn't yet, I didnt have any vacuum caps when I did the airbox but I did verify that I can still do it without pulling off the body work. I did buy caps and they are sitting on the shelf till I get around to doing it.

With nicer weather showing up, I wanted to get some parts installed before we start riding alot again. I started off with a set of ROX Racing Handguards. I do mostly woods/trail riding, so I end up bush whacking quite a bit. Had to trim a tiny bit off the back of the 4wd button housing.

20220416_144021.jpg

20220416_144028.jpg

20220416_144034.jpg

20220416_130331.jpg

Second was a mirror. Since Ill be heading to NH in July for a ride, they require a mirror. I didn't want anything to permanent, so I opted for a RAM Ball mount on the rack with a enduro mirror that uses the same ball mount. It was a little bit more expensive than a china special motorcycle mount, but it removes quickly and I can use the RAM mount to hold a go pro or phone as well.

20220416_143203.jpg

20220416_142744.jpg

I decided on tires. End up with 26x9-12 Tusk Trilobites, 6 ply tire and were cheap @ $93 each. Only 2 showed up so far, Fedex. :shaking: Ill get them mounted up this week, hopefully the other 2 show up Monday. The OEM Front 26x8s look absolutely weak in comparision.

20220416_130644.jpg

Got them mounted up. Not that surprising, they are huge step up in grip. Very stable in the corners, they do have a bit of wobble on the road around 45mph, I may toss some airsoft beads in them if it bothers me the more I ride it. Can't tell at all in the woods at speed.

20220430_151548.jpg

20220430_151605.jpg

looks good, I have the tusk terrabites on my Kawasaki T4 now. Mine will also wobble some when first riding but after sometime they do smooth out. It really isn't that bad so I never bothered doing anything more.

looks good, I have the tusk terrabites on my Kawasaki T4 now. Mine will also wobble some when first riding but after sometime they do smooth out. It really isn't that bad so I never bothered doing anything more.
Thats good to know, I only have about 3 miles on them so I'll give it a bit of time.

I decided on tires. End up with 26x9-12 Tusk Trilobites, 6 ply tire and were cheap @ $93 each. Only 2 showed up so far, Fedex. :shaking: Ill get them mounted up this week, hopefully the other 2 show up Monday. The OEM Front 26x8s look absolutely weak in comparision.

20220416_130644.jpg
Did you order the tires from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC?

Yea, they shipped fast and they have the rewards program so I got about $10 back that I used towards some other small items afterwards.
I just got 5 tires and a rim from Rocky Mountain, they were shipped via OnTrac, not Fed-Express. All six items showed up at OnTrac in Las Vegas at the same time. 4 tires showed up at my houses at 9:30am, the rest of the order showed up at 6:30pm:homer: :laughing:

My atv/car "club" spent last weekend at Jericho Mtn in NH. Ended up doing 90 miles over 2 days. Few small issues between the group. My year has a starter issue where the magnets inside come apart. Day 2 it barely started so I left it running all day and sure enough at the end the starter was done. I have a new starter on hand already, so ill get it swapped out this week.
FB_IMG_1657760773621.jpg

20220711_195539.jpg

Top Back Refresh