What's new

2010 Chevy Tahoe Soft Brakes

FleshEater

Ordinary Average Guy
Member Number
Loc
Pennsylvania
The brakes on this turd have always been softer than I like. Well now they’re really soft.

They go to the floor under hard braking. I just tore them all down today and bled every caliper until clean fluid came out.

No hydraulic leaks. Now all clean fluid.

I’m down to a vacuum leak. All I can guess.

Anyone know of any known issues with these piles and their brakes? I feel like it should be throwing a code for a vacuum leak.

I’ve also replaced all the rubber brake lines with braided stainless EXCEPT the frame to axle lines. Fuck GM for making them impossible to get to.

I’m just chasing down things with no luck at the moment.

A vac leak will make the pedal firmer, not softer.

I recently did stainless hoses and bled the abs with a tech2 on my gmt800. Brakes feel better than they did new

A vac leak will make the pedal firmer, not softer.

I recently did stainless hoses and bled the abs with a tech2 on my gmt800. Brakes feel better than they did new

Then I’m going to assume my frame to axle rubber is getting soft, and ready to burst.

Guess I’ll be hunting some line crow’s feet.

Check the booster for brake fluid. I use a zip tie in the vacuum line hole likena dipstick. These like to leak out of the back of the master cylinder.

Check the booster for brake fluid. I use a zip tie in the vacuum line hole likena dipstick. These like to leak out of the back of the master cylinder.

I’ll pull it and check. I haven’t had to add fluid so I think my master is fine.

I ordered up line wrench crow’s feet to get the brake line connection GM fucktards buried between a crossmember and the body. I’m betting the rubber is swelling under pressure.

Is it hydroboost or vacuum?

Isnt there a master cylinder upgrade on those or was it only the gmt800?

I pulled the vac hose off the booster: no fluid.

Crawled underneath and checked the frame to axle rubber and it seems good. Going to tackle that this weekend and hope it fixes this issue.

I’m using a one man brake bleeder. Maybe it’s failing me and letting air in…even though it has literally worked amazingly well on every other vehicle.

ORRRRR…it’s these shitty, overpriced Power Stop calipers I thought were decent.

I pulled the vac hose off the booster: no fluid.

Crawled underneath and checked the frame to axle rubber and it seems good. Going to tackle that this weekend and hope it fixes this issue.

I’m using a one man brake bleeder. Maybe it’s failing me and letting air in…even though it has literally worked amazingly well on every other vehicle.

ORRRRR…it’s these shitty, overpriced Power Stop calipers I thought were decent.
did The master run low? Is there air in the abs module?

No leaks soft pedal = master cylinder no leaks hard pedal = booster . Go buy a MC.

Reactions: DMG
did The master run low? Is there air in the abs module?

No, never.

I guess I’ll hunt down a new MC. Probably going to come with a booster.

I have never set up an MC…so I might pick some brains here for that.

EDIT: never mind. Found a GM genuine MC from Rock Auto.

Actually looks different than I thought. Seems simple enough.

Last edited:
No, never.

I guess I’ll hunt down a new MC. Probably going to come with a booster.

I have never set up an MC…so I might pick some brains here for that.
It is super easy. Just bench bleed and install. Have someone push the brakes when the master cylinder line fittings are still loose. No need to replace the booster.

Just swapped out the MC, bled all 4 corners, and same bullshit.

I’ll try doing the frame to axle lines, and if that doesn’t work I’m at a fucking loss.

This can’t just develop air without a fucking leak…WTF?

Would it throw a code if there was air in the ABS block?

EDIT: these brakes have never been amazing. Not like my 09’ Silverado. They’ve always been spongier than I like.

go to a gravel parking lot or dirt road and do a bunch of abs stops then bleed the brakes again.

Post #2 bleed the abs it will make a world of difference...

Post #2 bleed the abs it will make a world of difference...

Can I do that? I’ve never fucked with any ABS.

Apparently I need a fancy scan tool to bleed out the ABS system…according to YouTube anyways. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
go to a gravel parking lot or dirt road and do a bunch of abs stops then bleed the brakes again.

I tried this and it did fuckall.

I hit 55mph and stopped very quickly. It’s weird that it’s stopping so quickly.

I tried this and it did fuckall.

I hit 55mph and stopped very quickly. It’s weird that it’s stopping so quickly.
If you stop by the shop you can try my scanner to bleed the abs but if it’s stopping well it may be ok.

It may be good to verify there are no problems mechanically? Something you can’t ‘see’ by yourself. Find someone to pump the brake (with engine running) as you look at calipers for excessive movement/flexing, MC/booster moving around, pedal and it’s pivot points.

It may be good to verify there are no problems mechanically? Something you can’t ‘see’ by yourself. Find someone to pump the brake (with engine running) as you look at calipers for excessive movement/flexing, MC/booster moving around, pedal and it’s pivot points.

Already did that. Nothing unusual.

Okay…I’m just going to mention this to see thoughts.

My rear driver’s side caliper is making a creaking noise as I apply the brakes.

I tore it all apart and every thing looks fine. Put it back together and still creaking.

Fuck Power Stop. They’re only decent parts for a couple years then turn to trash. Everything is tight, so I have no idea what’s causing the excessive movement.

Did you pull the slide pins and grease them?

Probably creaking where the pad touches the shit that holds it since that's the only other place stuff moves.

Probably creaking where the pad touches the shit that holds it since that's the only other place stuff moves.

I think it’s rubbing on the inner part of the caliper. The outer part doesn’t have excess play.

The weird thing is that it creaks the whole motion of the pedal. I just can’t understand how, why, or how that would effect pedal pressure…if it even does.

I actually found a local shop I trust enough to bleed the ABS system for me.

DMG offered, but 1.5 hour drive with the cost of gas is a wash with local shop prices.

Never had any caliper make this noise before.

Makes me wonder if it is the wrong caliper or something is out of alignment, forcing the caliper or bracket to flex a bunch when it squeezes

You need to pull the rim and watch while a helper presses the pedal.

Reactions: DMG
Top Back Refresh