What's new

2009 Brocoma SAS, build, Mall Rated. Planning phase.

Covecrawler

Member Number
A friend bought this truck new. 4cyl, manual trans. Currently has blown out total chaos kit on the front suspension. It just failed inspection. So we’re in the planning and collecting parts phase.
Currently 4.88 geared, arb front and rear. 35s.

Plan is;
99-04 ford dana 60, f450 variant with factory 5.38 gears. Likely narrowed a bit. Currently 71.5” WMS with the adapters removed.
Leaf springs.

Dana 80 rear possible. Factory 5.38 gears, but way too wide, currently 74” WMS.

Maybe sell dana 80 and pick up a Sterling 10.5.

Goal is to talk him into 40s. He’s worried about streetability with a 4 cylinder, 5.38s and 40s. So maybe only 37s.

Eventually hopefully ordering the NWF doubler as well.

No current plans to keep ABS, but might be nice to have it working and not have a Christmas tree for a gauge cluster.

Attachments

• IMG_2672.jpeg
    IMG_2672.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6816.jpeg
    IMG_6816.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6817.jpeg
    IMG_6817.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
What would be the plan to get rid of the 8x220 or whatever F450 pattern on the D80?

Would be cool to chop the ends off and run the same unit bearings as the front.

Also never heard of factory 5.38s and idea what the truck was used for?

I think f450/550 with the v10 (unsure if manual or auto) had deep gears maybe 5.13 but i’m pretty positive 5.38.

The axles are from a V10 truck.

We grabbed some 8x170 hubs from a f350 pickup dana 80. I’m not sure yet if the spindles are the same or not. Either way the housing will need to be narrowed up a bit. Not sure he’ll want to spend the money vs just getting a Sterling. Dana 80 is very overkill for this truck too. Only benefit is it’s already geared to match.

“Street-ability” would be the ability to cruise at 65 I think in his mind.

The axles are from a V10 truck.

I googled it after I posted, and ya, 5.38 was common with v10s apparently.

We grabbed some 8x170 hubs from a f350 pickup dana 80. I’m not sure yet if the spindles are the same or not. Either way the housing will need to be narrowed up a bit. Not sure he’ll want to spend the money vs just getting a Sterling. Dana 80 is very overkill for this truck too. Only benefit is it’s already geared to match.

I believe the reason most D80s had a larger pattern is because they used a larger shaft, spindle and bearings. Although I'd be curious to see what you guys find.

IMO the wms would be manageable with deep back spaced wheels. Those giant hubs sticking out would be kinda annoying.

It would be cool to get a pair of these

Screenshot_20240421_104325_Chrome.jpg

And make the axle the width you want, but it's not going to be cheaper than just re-gearing a sterling or 14b.

“Street-ability” would be the ability to cruise at 65 I think in his mind.

So 35s?:laughing:

I googled it after I posted, and ya, 5.38 was common with v10s apparently.

I believe the reason most D80s had a larger pattern is because they used a larger shaft, spindle and bearings. Although I'd be curious to see what you guys find.

IMO the wms would be manageable with deep back spaced wheels. Those giant hubs sticking out would be kinda annoying.

It would be cool to get a pair of these

Screenshot_20240421_104325_Chrome.jpg

And make the axle the width you want, but it's not going to be cheaper than just re-gearing a sterling or 14b.

So 35s?:laughing:
Sterling is cheap. Dana 80 is different. Probably best to do the Sterling.

Anyone need a 5.38 dana 80?

Also, 4 cylinder and 40s will be fine. Drove my 85 with 42s and 4.10s one day. I think I was in 2nd going over the one hill between my house and work.

Sterling is cheap. Dana 80 is different. Probably best to do the Sterling.

Easier for sure, D80 is cool, but pretty overkill for almost anything but a high hp rock bouncer.

Anyone need a 5.38 dana 80?

Also, 4 cylinder and 40s will be fine. Drove my 85 with 42s and 4.10s one day. I think I was in 2nd going over the one hill between my house and work.

Fine? I mean, it will work, but suck, 5.29/5.38s are good for 35s, maybe 37s with a 4cyl imo. But it's kinda a pain to go any lower now a days.

I'd say go 40s also, but if crusing is more of a priority, go 38-39s. Lighter tires will help a lot.

Tore into the dana 80 just enough to say it’s time to call it.

Looks like it has a truetrac, that’s broken. Loose pinion bearings. All repairable stuff, but due to how long it was run like this these gears will likely always whine. So by the time we repair all of the worn, broken stuff. Spend $600 on Yukon 37 spline shafts to narrow it, I don’t think the axle is worth the hassle when a Sterling will do the trick in stock form.

If anyone else is curious the spindles are very different between the Superduty pickup dana 80 with 8x170 hubs and the f450-550 dana 80 with 8x225 lug patterns. Just one more hurdle that makes the Sterling more attractive.

Attachments

• IMG_6828.jpeg
    IMG_6828.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6829.jpeg
    IMG_6829.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
I would swap out that front for an 05+ SD axle as well. stronger unit bearings with room to stuff 40-spline stuff down the road.

Tore into the dana 80 just enough to say it’s time to call it.

Looks like it has a truetrac, that’s broken. Loose pinion bearings. All repairable stuff, but due to how long it was run like this these gears will likely always whine. So by the time we repair all of the worn, broken stuff. Spend $600 on Yukon 37 spline shafts to narrow it, I don’t think the axle is worth the hassle when a Sterling will do the trick in stock form.

If anyone else is curious the spindles are very different between the Superduty pickup dana 80 with 8x170 hubs and the f450-550 dana 80 with 8x225 lug patterns. Just one more hurdle that makes the Sterling more attractive.

Good to know, I was curious about the 8x200 D80 in my 16 F350 since I've thought about doing a srw conversionI figured they had to have changed something to justify a bigger hub that wouldn't fit 8x170.

What do you won’t for the blown out TC kit?

I think the struts are long gone. The upper control arms just need new uniballs.

Top Back Refresh