What's new

2007 5.9 Cummins 2500 4x4 with 150k

D-Rat

Fartknocker
Member Number
Loc
Mesa, AZ
I've had this truck for almost 12 years and it's at about 150k miles. It has a 3" BDS lift, 2009+ pitman arm, draglink and tierod, and a yukon no spin kit in front. It's otherwise stock. For the last 30k it's had a 2200lb camper in the back and it's our getaway vehicle, so I plan to keep it a long time.

Steering box is starting to puke fluid and the hydroboost hoses need replaced, so those are the first order of business.

I want a good aftermarket box....is the Redhead, or whatever it is the way to go there?

Also, what engine maintenance would you all recommend at this point? Hoses, belts, etc. for sure (though they've been done before). Do I need to be getting into the injectors or anything like that? MPG has fallen off on this thing a bit over the years but I've attributed that to bigger tires, more load, etc.

I'm also flirting with the idea of converting it to a manual before the auto dies.....but that'll depend on finding parts and how much money I want to part with.

I also have a nice clean '07 with a 5.9 - love it, and will own it until my left knee can no longer push in the clutch (good motivation to keep workin' out). I do oil changes every 5k, fuel filter every 10k. If it were an auto you'd be looking at the typical rebuild with a new converter, solenoids, etc - personally I'd buy a rebuilt unit from BD or Goerands, etc. You can also upgrade the auto with the BD Tap Shifter - check it out - gives the same level of 'control' as the newer 4th gens enjoy - pretty slick upgrade for the 48RE.

Engine - if not already done you're due for a top end valve adjustment, and if the shop is decent they can analyze the ij=njection system - check for a low cylinder, etc, or other signs of an injector going down. When the first stick shows signs of needing replacement just replace all 6 along with the feed tubes. Belts, water pump, tensioner - you're in range for those.

I'm going to be doing the upgraded fuel filter system - can't remember which at the moment but better fuel filtration = good, especially when considering fresh sticks.

Rear end is probably due for the typical 150k mile inspection for wear, etc.

That's about the majority of what I can think of. Any questions feel free to ask away. Also, consider getting on CumminsForum too - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum - lots of good intel in there. And go ahead and bookmark Geno's Garage ;) - www.genosgarage.com

- Sam

Thanks. A fluid change in the diffs is on my list, and water pump was done at just past 100k when the old one started seeping. Should be ok there for a while. Belt has been replaced at least once but is due again, as are the radiator hoses.

I too do oil changes about every 5k and a fuel filter every other time, if not more frequently.

Good tips on getting the injectors checked out.

I would keep an eye on the exhaust manifold. With the higher miles they can start warping/cracking causing the gasket to leak.

I'm also flirting with the idea of converting it to a manual before the auto dies.....but that'll depend on finding parts and how much money I want to part with.
Do a full (re)build with goodies from Goerend. Triple disk TC, built valve body, along with their performance rebuild kit (which should come with small parts such as stronger parts for 2nd gear band) and lastly do NOT skip the billet input shaft.

Imho auto trans equipped truck w/slide-in camper make for an overall better camping rig. :smokin:

CCV filter is one that often gets overlooked. I've seen a couple get so plugged up they push the front seal out.

Injectors / valve adjust - $3600 at a local shop
$350 to install steering box and hydroboost lines
Also planning on belt, radiator hoses, coolant flush.
Will do diff oil myself.

It's not acting up, but google fu says 150k is about the life expectancy of the injectors and I don't want to have problems on a vacation trip. Once done they should be good for another 10-15 years.

Trans has been flushed twice since I owned it (at 67k and again at 120k) so it should be OK for now.
Ball joints have also been done twice, at 70k and 140k....because they just don't last.

I've got 220k on my '07 and 250k on my '03. I know the history from day one. Engines have only had batteries, waterpump, oil every 10k, and fuel every 20k.

Injectors and turbo are of no concern. I run them hard. They dont move unless loaded.

OK, I'm a dumbass...what's a CCV filter?

Only 6.7L junk, dont worry about it.

Did the redhead box on my 07 along with a new borgeson shaft at 250k. Also didn't do injectors till 220k when I needed to. Good trucks, wish it had a bigger cab, I'd still have it.

I did a Redhead on my 02 and it was night and day difference. However, after I came home from a cross country trip, it puked all the fluid on the driveway. Called Redhead and they sent me a replacement box for free. Second one had a bad "tight" spot right around center. You had to force it past in either direction. I'm sure if I called they would have replaced it but I ended up selling the truck. Not bad mouthing them. I think they sell a good product (the difference in my steering with the first box compared to the worn out original box was huge) but they do have some quality issues.

Throw a steering box brace on there while it's apart. The OE box on my 06 only made it ~80k before the sector shaft was sloppy. Sold it with 80k on a napa reman box and BD brace and it was still as solid as it was new.

I ran a redhead on my 07 a few years back but was never 100% happy with the steering, although I never updated to the 09+ steering either.

From what I've read lately Redheads QC has gone down, and evidently one of the major players there started this company Welcome to Blue Top Steering Gears - A Quality Product with a Competitive Price!

Their prices look to be a little better than what I remember redheads being.

A bunch of the guys on the 3/4 and 1 ton GM pages are having good luck with boxes from there.

my 2 pennies.

Throw a steering box brace on there while it's apart. The OE box on my 06 only made it ~80k before the sector shaft was sloppy. Sold it with 80k on a napa reman box and BD brace and it was still as solid as it was new.
Already have one.

Top Back Refresh