What's new

2006 overland / light duty crawler build

IMG_3729.jpeg

This is what I’m using for the “post cat” o2 sensor. It’s like a spacer with a small amount of catalytic converter material built into it. If anyone has used these I’d like to hear what you think about them. I’ll be sure to report back with my own findings. I don’t have to smog this truck which is the only reason I’m comfortable taking this route

i'd like to know how it works out for you. I had bought just some standoffs/sensor extensions and simply never got around to putting in rear sensors. non-emmissions vehicle, it was just to clear the CEL that I was going for.

The extension thing has been hit and miss for me. I gutted cats on a coworker's Forester, one anti-fouler and his car is all set. Deleted my Outback that has the same cats, hollowed out the same way, same rear oxygen sensor, same engine and mine kept turning the light on. I ended up with 2 anti-foulers stacked up and still having to put a resistor and capacitor in the sensor wiring to keep the light off. Probably don't need the anti-foulers anymore but they're already in the car.

Found the resistor/cap info here.

So this cheap ass muffler I bought sounds like one of the baffles is flapping around whenever I get on the gas, should I cut it open and try to fix it? what’s a good muffler for a decent price. Not looking for anything crazy loud

I like thrash for cheap mufflers. Mostly for the sticker :laughing:

Turbo mufflers are the most quiet, then chambered, then any of the straight through one's.

I'm going to try out a junkyard something or other 24"+ circle one from some truck on my next project.

Apparently it’s not the muffler, cut it off yesterday and the “flapping“ sound only got worse. So it’s not a loose baffle. I think it’s some kind of turbulence when I get on the gas, it doesn’t do it at low or high rpm. I’m thinking about putting a resonator up in front of the muffler somewhere and seeing if that helps

Apparently it’s not the muffler, cut it off yesterday and the “flapping“ sound only got worse. So it’s not a loose baffle. I think it’s some kind of turbulence when I get on the gas, it doesn’t do it at low or high rpm. I’m thinking about putting a resonator up in front of the muffler somewhere and seeing if that helps
Could your cat be the culprit?? my ferd, and jeep had the cats start rattling. couldnt stand it! :shaking:

You sure you still got all your spark plugs in that thing :flipoff2:
Haha yeah they were all replaced like 30k miles ago. Not sure how much life this motor has in it though, if it blows I’m gonna get a replacement from promar with forged internals and shit so I can turbo or supercharge it. Beats buying any of the new seventy thousand dollar plastic trucks available these days with all their fuckin electrical soccer mom amenities. Last thing I want is a truck with a god damn button operated self closing tailgate

sounds fine for the 1-2 second bursts I can get the video to play.

if it doesn't do it for high flow or very low flow, then it may be a case of turbulance in the pipe itself, not enough air being moved to keep a steady stream. My van would do that, just too much pipe. At low RPM it wasn't enough to be noticeable, at high RPM it ran and sounded great.

Adding another muffler or going to a smaller diameter pipe, or in this case adding a resonator, should all help with that.

sounds fine for the 1-2 second bursts I can get the video to play.

if it doesn't do it for high flow or very low flow, then it may be a case of turbulance in the pipe itself, not enough air being moved to keep a steady stream. My van would do that, just too much pipe. At low RPM it wasn't enough to be noticeable, at high RPM it ran and sounded great.

Adding another muffler or going to a smaller diameter pipe, or in this case adding a resonator, should all help with that.
Yeah I think having the resonator up there right where the two pipes dump into the 3inch helps massively with the unwanted noise I was hearing before. It has a nice rumble to it, and I can tell the truck breathes so much better than when I had the stock muffler

who makes the best power steering pumps for these trucks, bought a remanufactured one last time like 4 months ago and its already leaky and blown out

I would look into and call Lee Power Steering. I haven’t tried them on any Fords but when I had all my GM IFS trucks I tried Red Head and Lee. The Red Head was okay but leaked not too long after, granted I was stressing it with larger tires, but I expected it to handle that.

Lee held up better for the time I had it and they can machine additional sector shaft support bearings into most boxes.

I just typed all that out and realized you said pump not box. I’d still give Lee a call

Broke one of the hinges on the camper on a recent trip, and I found replacements, but what a pain in the ass. I had to bust out the welder, the winch, a snatch block and a mallet.

Many hours and thrown objects later i had the old hinges out, so I vacuumed out the loose rust, and decided to hit the inside channels with a layer of paint. I also painted the torsion bar.

Reassembling this thing was equally frustrating. I had park facing up a hill then pull the winch to hold the camper lid open at 90 degrees so I could reinstall the torsion bar. This is 100% not a one man job. Getting the splines to line up on one side while holding everything in place and forcing the torsion bar in from the other side with a mallet proved nearly impossible but it’s done.

Next step is clean it up, seal it, and maybe do some touch up on the fiberglass and paint

IMG_3905.jpeg

IMG_3907.jpeg

IMG_3910.jpeg

IMG_3955.jpeg

IMG_3957.jpeg

IMG_3961.jpeg

IMG_3963.jpeg

Put in some new headlights, these things are so much better than stock it’s crazy. I kinda prefer this look to the full replacement blacked out “Harley” style ones that everyone puts in

IMG_3968.jpeg

IMG_3969.jpeg

IMG_3970.jpeg
I agree, theres something about the work truck headlight setup that I dig on these :smokin: Always wanted to see what a 08-10 work truck front end would look like with the black bezel wrapped in chrome, they remind me of the 77 Ford front end

You're on 37s, right? You do you like the 4.88 gears? Been thinking about regearing my truck to 4.56, as its on 35s, but now considering going to 37s for the next tire, and I have a set of Sterling 5.13s already.

4.88s feel perfect for 37s it does really well with that setup, wish I would have gone with 5.13s though cause I want to run 40s at some point. Personally I’d rather be over geared than under.

How is the light output and throw with those headlights? I'm between getting custom HID's or going to the sealed beam style on my 2000 Ex.

Top Back Refresh