What's new

2006 overland / light duty crawler build

RockyDog1210

@the.wolf.of.stone.street
Member Number
I had this posted on pirate, but I was informed that I should come to the dark side, so here we go

I've had this truck for a while, and I've finally decided to start building it
its a single cab gas 5.4 v8 manual trans 5 speed with the low granny gear below 1st, so kinda a 6 speed?

The Plan:
-37s or 40s but keep it as low as possible
-cable actuated ox lockers front and rear
-5.13 or 5.38 gears, currently undecided, but I would like to be able to switch between 37s or 40s on same set of gears
-dom jeep style radius arms
-carli or icon 2.5 coils, and deaver add a leaf, maybe even full leaf pack if budget allows
-longer brake lines
-build bumpers, roof rack, skid plates, sliders and maybe some other shit

currently im in the process of saving for the expensive stuff, but I have a welder so ive been building a few things on my days off

Rear bumper:

decided to cut the bed and get as much ground clearance as I can

1A45388A-FB74-434B-BCDE-3A7C452B0D67.jpeg

reused a few parts of the original receiver

76D73BCC-0682-489F-A3C0-5530D89178BC.jpeg

D34F25C7-7C17-4F7F-949B-657E50578381.jpeg

I know Im skipping a few steps with the pics, but I was busy and forgot

IMG_2240.jpeg

eventually everything got capped and gusseted and cleaned up

IMG_2467.jpeg

IMG_2488.jpeg

IMG_2492.jpeg

IMG_2494.jpeg

IMG_2501.jpeg

IMG_2504.jpeg

This is how it currently sits, I hope to get more done this week

if you are wondering about how im going to mount a winch with the plate so close to the grill, im going to cut the grill out to fit when I get the winch

also planning on adding more support for the winch plate and skid plate

You need to mount that roof rack better. Even with big fender washers on the underside it's gonna tear up the cap.

what do you have in mind?

I am using large fender washers underneath and rubber grommets on top. The roof portion of the shell has a thick piece of plywood glassed into it and that’s where the hardware passes through. The rack is fairly light, and I’m not planning on putting much weight up there

what do you have in mind?

I am using large fender washers underneath and rubber grommets on top. The roof portion of the shell has a thick piece of plywood glassed into it and that’s where the hardware passes through. The rack is fairly light, and I’m not planning on putting much weight up there

I bet it will be good with the plywood underneath. I figured you were just going straight through to sheet metal with maybe a crossmember.

The rack itself doesn’t actually contact the shell

The bed flexes because it's on the frame. The cap flexes because it's on the bed. The rack needs to be bolted down well enough to flex with the cap. I don't think it will break. But I do think it will wallow out everything enough to leak.

Maybe you'll be good. I'm always surprised by how well things work. Run it.

I had this posted on pirate, but I was informed that I should come to the dark side, so here we go

I've had this truck for a while, and I've finally decided to start building it
its a single cab gas 5.4 v8 manual trans 5 speed with the low granny gear below 1st, so kinda a 6 speed?

The Plan:
-37s or 40s but keep it as low as possible
-cable actuated ox lockers front and rear
-5.13 or 5.38 gears, currently undecided, but I would like to be able to switch between 37s or 40s on same set of gears
-dom jeep style radius arms
-carli or icon 2.5 coils, and deaver add a leaf, maybe even full leaf pack if budget allows
-longer brake lines
-build bumpers, roof rack, skid plates, sliders and maybe some other shit

currently im in the process of saving for the expensive stuff, but I have a welder so ive been building a few things on my days off

Rear bumper:

decided to cut the bed and get as much ground clearance as I can

reused a few parts of the original receiver

I know Im skipping a few steps with the pics, but I was busy and forgot

eventually everything got capped and gusseted and cleaned up

Looks Great!

I don't know if you'll have problems with the cap/box flexing, but you can mount rigid things (rack) in a way that allows flexible things to flex.

This mount pattern would allow the cap to flex under the rack without forcing the rack to flex as well.
See potato-CAD drawing:

FERD.png

damn i appreciate all the advice, don't know why I didn't think about the bed and cap flexing. ill have to redesign it when I get a new cap, I picked up this one for 100 bucks and its just a place holder till I can get a better one

made some progress today on the front bumper

IMG_2561.jpeg

IMG_2568.jpeg

IMG_2570.jpeg

IMG_2574.jpeg

Gotta love gorilla tape

IMG_2578.jpeg

Once I got done figuring out the main pieces for the passenger side I pulled everything apart and made identical pieces for the driver side

IMG_2580.jpeg

Still not sure how I want to tie everything together in the middle, but I guess ill figure it out when I get to it. everything ive done on this truck is a first for me and holy shit is it a lot of work. Gonna try and get in a full day tomorrow, hopefully ill have something that resembles a bumper by the end of the day

Looks like a great start. I still do bumpers with a cutoff wheel and template. Last one I picked some cheap poster paper from wally world, easier to work with than cardboard.

Looks like a great start. I still do bumpers with a cutoff wheel and template. Last one I picked some cheap poster paper from wally world, easier to work with than cardboard.
Thanks, yeah the cardboard is a bit of a pain. I got tired of wearing out razor blades and just started cutting it with my angle grinder since I already had a cutting disc in it. Goes through like butter. Been laying the cardboard down on a piece of wood and using a piece of scrap steel to run the blade against as a straight edge. Seems to make much quicker, cleaner cuts that I could get with a razor

Hell ya that looks great. I'm fumbling though my first front bumper build now too. Yes, shit ton of work. I'm use cardboard/plasma. I use belt sander to touch up cardboard and you can get a nice crisp edges to transfer to steel.

Hell ya that looks great. I'm fumbling though my first front bumper build now too. Yes, shit ton of work. I'm use cardboard/plasma. I use belt sander to touch up cardboard and you can get a nice crisp edges to transfer to steel.
How nice is it having a plasma cutter? I’ve been considering buying one

Years ago I built a bumper for one of my trucks didn’t use any templates, just cut and welded as I went. Cardboard is a way better idea.

Front and rear bumper are coming together awesomely. For the y link radius arms....has anyone ran them flipped. Not the factory ones but the "jeep style" or clayton style....wouldnt it provide more ground clearance...esp for a crossover rig like this? Basically run them upside down from the normal style.

Top Back Refresh