What's new

2005+ super duty steering box, hydro assist tap locations.

F***roads

Member Number
Loc
Canukistan
I used an 05 super duty steering box for my SAS f150. I would like to add hydro assist in the near future. recently swapped out my leaking unit for a "new" one, I would like to drill and tap the leaking box, and re seal it. anyone have insight on where to tap these specific boxes? any input would be greatly appreciated!
20220806_152234.jpg
20220806_152242.jpg
20220806_152229.jpg

Looking at the PSC kit for the same box it's going to be REAL hard to drill and tap. The left hand secton that bolts on looks like they recast and built a new mold to get hydro assist fittings in there.

Looking at the PSC kit for the same box it's going to be REAL hard to drill and tap. The left hand secton that bolts on looks like they recast and built a new mold to get hydro assist fittings in there.

I've noticed that looking for new boxes. im still interested in trying to tap one. looks like i can drill a hole in the end cap for steering in one direction. probably going to open it up and to some investigation. I'm wondering if that flat spot in the casting on the side may lead to something...

I'm surprised more people haven't tried to tap these boxes. saw this guy on youtube do it like this. where he drilled the end cap is what I was thinking. anyone see an issue with this method? think it would work?
Screenshot_20220812-181032_YouTube.jpg

I'm surprised more people haven't tried to tap these boxes. saw this guy on youtube do it like this. where he drilled the end cap is what I was thinking. anyone see an issue with this method? think it would work?
Screenshot_20220812-181032_YouTube.jpg

I've done it on a couple of Chevy's and my original 3rd gen Dodge steering box. I have yet to do it to the new 6 bolt box I swapped in, but it is on my list.

I've done it on a couple of Chevy's and my original 3rd gen Dodge steering box. I have yet to do it to the new 6 bolt box I swapped in, but it is on my list.
you drilled yours like the picture above?
I would like to upgrade to the 6 bolt, but I'm not sure if the larger size would work with my limited space.

you drilled yours like the picture above?
I would like to upgrade to the 6 bolt, but I'm not sure if the larger size would work with my limited space.
I've done 2 Delphi 680 boxes for Chevy's like that, one old Delphi 600 from a GMT400 and the stock box from my Dodge, which I think is a Delphi 680 as well. I have not done it on the 6 bolt, but I miss the hydro assist on the tow rig.

The only thing on the 'nose' drill and tap location is make sure you don't tap it so deep that a long fitting protrudes excessively into the box once tight. If it does, turn or grind the fitting down or the piston may contact the fitting limit your travel in one direction.

I've done 2 Delphi 680 boxes for Chevy's like that, one old Delphi 600 from a GMT400 and the stock box from my Dodge, which I think is a Delphi 680 as well. I have not done it on the 6 bolt, but I miss the hydro assist on the tow rig.

The only thing on the 'nose' drill and tap location is make sure you don't tap it so deep that a long fitting protrudes excessively into the box once tight. If it does, turn or grind the fitting down or the piston may contact the fitting limit your travel in one direction.
ok cool, thanks for the input. and yes good point about the fitting sticking too far in.

20220820_161647.jpg

haven't taped many holes before, was expecting more resistance. stopped often to make sure I didn't tap too deep. 1/4" NPT to JIC fitting.
just need sector shaft seal and its good to button up. :smokin:

I would have threaded in a male-female NPT extension and then brazed around it to compensate for lack of thread engagement but I bet what you did will last just fine.

I would have threaded in a male-female NPT extension and then brazed around it to compensate for lack of thread engagement but I bet what you did will last just fine.
guess ill keep that as a backup plan in case this ever fails :beer: at least there is a good 5 or so threads, casting had some meat to it.

Any update in this? How'd it work?
truck was down for about a year, never got around to installing it yet. just sitting in my room for now for safe keeping :lmao: hopefully get to it once the weather warms up, you know, frozen shithole :laughing: will update whenever it happens. I am a bit worried the factory pump wont keep up... not really any factory style upgraders that I know of. time will tell.:beer:

Top Back Refresh