What's new

2005 LJ dies in traffic.

Thrown_hammer

Doofus
Member Number
Driving into town yesterday the Jeep just shuts off. I coast to a stop and turn on the hazards. Turn off key and put it in park. Turn key to start and nothing. No dash lights at all. No clicking, whirring, just nothing. It was like I didn't even have a key.

Everything not controlled by the ignition still worked. Lights, horn, winch, etc.

Key turned as normal. When released it would spring back to run position.

I swapped the horn relay with the starter relay. Still no start and horn still worked.

Checked all connections and battery while I waited 20 minutes for my ride. Nothing helped and it was still dead.

Had a Buddy come with his car trailer and I winched up onto the trailer. Drove the 5 miles home, and that mother fucker started right up like nothing ever happened.

So now I don't trust it, and I have no idea what it could be.

Ideas?

I'll pop the cover and look at the ignition switch. Does power to the switch come from the battery?

It has the transponder key.

I had some crumbling wire loom in the engine bay so i replaced all that today in case something was touching something it shouldn't or getting too hot maybe.

My TJ had a similar issue, a pin between the lock cylinder and the ignition switch itself is known for breaking.

This is a pretty good video on testing and fixing the ignition switch actuator.

Edit: not 100% that this is your issue. Sometimes the broken piece gets jammed up in there good enough to kind of work and it is a weird intermittent problem. Worst case you watch a decent video of disassembling the column and see what you are getting into.

Last edited:
If the jeep starts now what would I check? Not being a smart ass. Actually don't know the answer. :lmao:
If you switch relays and it worked with one but not the other, replace the bad relay.

But if it just started fine after it first happened but before you did anything, check some of the stuff mentioned for corrosion, wear, and/or foreign substances like dirt or water.

Relays and ignition switches are pretty easy to access and check on LJs. All that's needed is a security torx set.

Heat could have caused relay/fuse connections to expand and lose contact. As they cool, they contract and regain contact.
Chk underhood fuse box on PS fender. There is a diagram sticker under the cover. Look for fuse/relay marked ASD. Start with fuse #9 and relay R1. If you don't have a spare relay, swap it with another relay.

This sure sound like the ignition key cylinder.

How the key turns when it won’t start? I remember the telltale was the key turned with zero resistance, felt like it got disconnected inside.

Last edited:
This sure sound like the ignition key cylinder.

How the key turns when it won’t start? I remember the telltale was the key turned with zero resistance, felt like it got disconnected inside.
Turns as normal. Has spring resistance and returns to run position when I let go.

Swapped the fog lamp relay with the ASD relay. The ignition switch fuse block was spread out a little more than the other fuses so I squeezed it back down. All fuses looked good with no corrosion. All connections in steering column looked good. Checked all the wiring along the firewall and made sure none of it is rubbing on anything. Checked all the grounds on the fire wall.

Jeep currently fires right up.

I guess I'm back to rolling the dice and driving it.

If the ignition switch fuse lost contact because of heat would that cause my issue? Because the only thing I found was the fuse block was spread out a little on that fuse.

I pulled the ignition switch fuse and it exactly replicated the issue. No dash lights, no power to anything ran thru ignition, everything else worked.

I am 85% sure the fuse block being spread out in combination with heat expansion is my gremlin.

Last edited:
Swapped the fog lamp relay with the ASD relay. The ignition switch fuse block was spread out a little more than the other fuses so I squeezed it back down. All fuses looked good with no corrosion. All connections in steering column looked good. Checked all the wiring along the firewall and made sure none of it is rubbing on anything. Checked all the grounds on the fire wall.

Jeep currently fires right up.

I guess I'm back to rolling the dice and driving it.

If the ignition switch fuse lost contact because of heat would that cause my issue? Because the only thing I found was the fuse block was spread out a little on that fuse.

I pulled the ignition switch fuse and it exactly replicated the issue. No dash lights, no power to anything ran thru ignition, everything else worked.

I am 85% sure the fuse block being spread out in combination with heat expansion is my gremlin.

I went through something similar this spring.

It turned out to be the fuse holder for one fuse, granted mine is a YJ I'm gonna guess by 05 they hadn't fixed the fuse block/box.

Carry a jumper or maybe just a piece of paper clip that's a tad bigger gauge to take up some expansion gap to jam in there if it does it again. If it fires up after that then you know the problem is indeed right there.

Carry a jumper or maybe just a piece of paper clip that's a tad bigger gauge to take up some expansion gap to jam in there if it does it again. If it fires up after that then you know the problem is indeed right there.
All ya really need is a straight on fat dental pick.

Stuff in there above and below the fuse holder and it tightens the pinch back up. Put the fuse back in and it's gtg again.

Don't ya hate little fuckeries like that that can cause sooo much frustration... glad you caught it tho. How's it been so far, any other little bugs?

Top Back Refresh