What's new

2002 TuRD

He seems to do good work. Wonder how backed up he is
Yea, no idea! I normally do my own fab, but I don't have the patience to do a cage, so whip out the CC for that!!

Your truck shouldn't be too bad as there are a lot of straight edges and panels, on these damn 1st gen Tacomas everything is curved and cages look like shit quick if you build them wrong. We all know looks are 99.9% of this hobby!!

Last edited:
Yea, no idea! I normally do my own fab, but I don't have the patience to do a cage, so whip out the CC for that!!

Your truck shouldn't be too bad as there are a lot of straight edges and panels, on these damn 1st gen Tacomas everything is curved and cages look like shit quick if you build them wrong. We all know looks are 99.9% of this hobby!!
I definitely do it for the gram!

Non of the Toyota body's are straight :laughing:

Exo cages that look decent are by far the difficult tube work there is.
The part that is annoying is the inside of the cab is so small it's just as hard to get a tight fitting cage in there. I don't want to end up in the ER if someone rear ends me doing 5mph on the street, or have to wear a 5pt harness when I drive it to work.

The part that is annoying is the inside of the cab is so small it's just as hard to get a tight fitting cage in there. I don't want to end up in the ER if someone rear ends me doing 5mph on the street, or have to wear a 5pt harness when I drive it to work.

1667507896429.png

Modern problems... modern solutions...

I'm with you, I have not had good experience riding or driving Toyotas with internal cages.

Picked up my frame rails last week, got my air bumps, now all I need is to grab some more steel and buy an engine hoist and it will be chop time. I plan on spending some time in the garage tomorrow doing maintenance on my daily driver's, so I may symbolically cut off my sliders, my first mod 17yrs ago, so I feel like I did something lol!!
IMG_20221113_182152385.jpg

Getting close!!

Last edited:
It's rainy and shitty out today and I don't feel like wrenching on wet vehicles, but I did make my contribution to the industrial downfall of America and picked up a 2ton HF engine hoist.
IMG_20221125_115157746.jpg

I ran down the tank of gas on the Tacoma and had one last drive before it's either improved or fucked beyond repair starting tomorrow :lmao:

Last edited:

I hope you're joking about the last comment.
I get it, building a cage for a Toyota of any gen is a pain in the dick, but you gain a lot of knowledge. There's nothing like going end over end, barrel roll, or just a flop strapped into something you built and are alive and unscathed...
I'm not trying to be an ass, just saying cage/tube building is fun, challenging, pull your fingernails out, and rewarding.

Briansc33 I was clearly joking on the last sentence. I still would farm out a cage job.

Did some work to the truck today:
IMG_20221126_155659750.jpg

IMG_20221126_161348618_HDR.jpg

So I did what I should not have done and looked down the frame rails towards the front of the truck and goddamn it's rough. So still swapping the frame rails in the rear, wheeling this thing for another year or two while I decide what to do.

Back fell off.

I think I missed it, how far back to those rails come? I'm interested in how they work for you, have something similar in my head for a truck I don't own yet....

So I did what I should not have done and looked down the frame rails towards the front of the truck and goddamn it's rough. So still swapping the frame rails in the rear, wheeling this thing for another year or two while I decide what to do.

can I say it? :flipoff2:

Back fell off.

I think I missed it, how far back to those rails come? I'm interested in how they work for you, have something similar in my head for a truck I don't own yet....
The frame rails will come all the way to the rear of the bed for now, don't know what I'm going to do for a bumper.

rockota :flipoff2: this may buy me time to get a 1st gen tundra I always wanted to build:grinpimp:

The frame rails will come all the way to the rear of the bed for now, don't know what I'm going to do for a bumper.

rockota :flipoff2: this may buy me time to get a 1st gen tundra I always wanted to build:grinpimp:
Ahh, makes sense, I was looking at them backwards, thinking long side would be under the cab.

Yea, basically it's getting new frame rails from the horse collar back.
So, I was thinking about this for you, since I have a truck no where near as extreme as this and nothing better to do on my day off. When it's cage time, would it be worth it for RLF to build a bed cage to help fight some frame flex and keep it straight, a place for shocks to bolt to, then build some sheet metal covers to keep the bed pretty usable to hold your white claw empties?

I've talked to Chris at RLF (not about this, had some questions for my rig) I didn't realize where you were and you're posting some of these updates on NC4x4, but seems like a decent option for strength and preventive measure.

So, I was thinking about this for you, since I have a truck no where near as extreme as this and nothing better to do on my day off. When it's cage time, would it be worth it for RLF to build a bed cage to help fight some frame flex and keep it straight, a place for shocks to bolt to, then build some sheet metal covers to keep the bed pretty usable to hold your white claw empties?

I've talked to Chris at RLF (not about this, had some questions for my rig) I didn't realize where you were and you're posting some of these updates on NC4x4, but seems like a decent option for strength and preventive measure.
Sounds like he's done building stuff for a while. No bed cage, no desire for that, I still do truck stuff with this thing, the goal is to eliminate shit pokeing through the bed. Kinda moot anyway as the rear of the truck is now sitting next to the cab awaiting some new frame rails that are fully boxed and way thicker than stock.

and then?
I have been sick the past few weeks. Finally got out in the garage tonight but it was mostly grinding, cutting off rusty chunks of frame and a lot of sitting there pondering. I would have tacked on one of the frame rails but all my clamps are either bent or broke, so I need to get some this week one day.

I have been sick the past few weeks. Finally got out in the garage tonight but it was mostly grinding, cutting off rusty chunks of frame and a lot of sitting there pondering. I would have tacked on one of the frame rails but all my clamps are either bent or broke, so I need to get some this week one day.

Careful, or next think you know two years go by and your shit still isn't done. Don't make me finish before you.

I'm in Raleigh, I'll come and booger weld your shit better than the worst booger welder there is. Just don't cough on me :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh