What's new

2000 F550 Super Duty Parking Brake

ThePanzerFuhrer

The Rock Breaker God
Member Number
Loc
Wi
So I have 2 2000 F550 4x4 manual service trucks. The factory in rotor parking brakes suck ass. I got another fine from msha for the brake not holding on a incline. So anyone you guys know if I can get a drive shaft mounted brake to bolt onto the transfer case? I just need to get something that works and I can trust to work all the time.

How do you get a fine for that? They pull you over on a hill and test it? Is this on a yearly inspection?

I have 5 msha numbers. So they come to inspect each number once a year. When he came this year a service truck was on site. They test all mobile equipment parking brakes service brakes lights wipers ect. They do a pretty detailed job when they come. They find the steepest part of the pit and make you put the parking brake on and it must hold. The dang service trucks are heavy with all the tools and whatnot on them.

No help, but my automatic equiped F550 4x4 service truck doesnt roll on hills with it in park. :laughing:

:flipoff2:

In my opinion it should be a recall or something. I've yet to see one with a "good" parking brake. They all roll on hills no matter how new the truck/parking brake is. How is that deemed OK by government standards?

No help, but my automatic equiped F550 4x4 service truck doesnt roll on hills with it in park. :laughing:

:flipoff2:

In my opinion it should be a recall or something. I've yet to see one with a "good" parking brake. They all roll on hills no matter how new the truck/parking brake is. How is that deemed OK by government standards?

Lol the msha guys don’t let you put it in park. They legitimately test the parking brake. ;(

I work for a CAT dealer in field service so I know exactly what you mean about msha...We used to run F550s with the 7.3 / zf6 combo. Those trucks were upfitted with a micro brake??. I can't remember the name but basically a line lock for the wheel brakes. You would apply the service brake and switch on the micro brake. This would apply the service brakes in addition to the park brake. Trail rigs call it a line lock.

I work for a CAT dealer in field service so I know exactly what you mean about msha...We used to run F550s with the 7.3 / zf6 combo. Those trucks were upfitted with a micro brake??. I can't remember the name but basically a line lock for the wheel brakes. You would apply the service brake and switch on the micro brake. This would apply the service brakes in addition to the park brake. Trail rigs call it a line lock.

I just bought a couple line locks from jegs to do this. They just came in the mail today. It’s stupid this is the route you have to take.

I've never been in a 450/550 service truck that had a parking brake that held worth a fuck. They must test/engineer them to work as sold (Bare chassis) because by the time you put a service body + crane + tools in the fuckers they all roll away. I haven't seen a driveline brake on any Ford with 4wd, the old F-Superduty trucks had a 4x4 trans and used the t-case flange to mount the brake.

I'd look into a Micolock like RustyC mentioned.

I work for a CAT dealer in field service so I know exactly what you mean about msha...We used to run F550s with the 7.3 / zf6 combo. Those trucks were up fitted with a micro brake??. I can't remember the name but basically a line lock for the wheel brakes. You would apply the service brake and switch on the micro brake. This would apply the service brakes in addition to the park brake. Trail rigs call it a line lock.

/\ /\ /\ x 10.............been there, failed that. No joke, the parking brake is a design failure. Had a Micro-Lock on a 2 1/2 ton flatbed, never even worried about it.

I have tried everything from constant adjustment to replacing the most of the brake system. Forget it. Didn't EVER solve that the parking brake problem.

FWIW, these have served me well. https://www.mico.com/

Stupid simple install and your done with the bullshit. Makes it nice when you are warming the truck up in sub zero weather. Set it, go in and get your shit ready for the day, come out and presto-amazo the truck is where you left it.

what version did you get? The one with the pump or just the stomp the bake and flip the lever model?

/\ /\ /\ x 10.............been there, failed that. No joke, the parking brake is a design failure. Had a Micro-Lock on a 2 1/2 ton flatbed, never even worried about it.

I have tried everything from constant adjustment to replacing the most of the brake system. Forget it. Didn't EVER solve that the parking brake problem.

FWIW, these have served me well. https://www.mico.com/

Stupid simple install and your done with the bullshit. Makes it nice when you are warming the truck up in sub zero weather. Set it, go in and get your shit ready for the day, come out and presto-amazo the truck is where you left it.

same question to you what one did you have? The electric pump version or just the manual valve deal?

cant get the multi quote to work.

It was the self sustained system. Not sure how that answers your question. It is a stand alone system. Let me do some calling tomorrow, I REALLY want to stay manual on my CJ. I am going to run the same system on it. It locks all four wheels solid, no bullshit, winch solid.

I must confess, I am totally certain how their system works EXACTLY, but it locks up solid. I have parked my truck with the backhoe on the trailer and pulled the "parking" brake and left it. 3 weeks later it is still locked solid.

Let me get some more info and I will send it your way.

Our trucks did not use a separate pump. We just press the brake to the floor and flip the switch. It was also tired to the horn and would sound off it the pressure was leaking off.

The drive shaft brake that used to bolt in place of a 31spl transfer case won't bolt up to your truck unless you have a 4R110 or plan on swapping one in. They only came with 31spl input which Ford stopped using in the Superduty when they stopped using the 4R110. The later cab/chassis trucks with the Dana S-whatever axles used a pinion mounted parking brake. If you spend an afternoon fucking around making a flange and don't mind replacing the seal you'll toast when you burn it in then I bet you could make one fit your D80 pinion but at that point you may as well install the entire rear brake setup from an economy car with a 4x4.25 bolt pattern and a drum brake and hook a cheapo "drift brake" master cylinder up to the hydraulic portion.

I have 5 msha numbers. So they come to inspect each number once a year. When he came this year a service truck was on site. They test all mobile equipment parking brakes service brakes lights wipers ect. They do a pretty detailed job when they come. They find the steepest part of the pit and make you put the parking brake on and it must hold. The dang service trucks are heavy with all the tools and whatnot on them.

So what if you keep the pit roads with fairly shallow inclines? I suppose that's a PITA. Or when they get there, you close the steep parts "for safety reasons". Are these inspections "by appointment"? If this is the main failure you have? Maybe when they call to say they are coming, you could immediately go test the brakes on the steep part. Any that don't hold go in the shop for work.

So what if you keep the pit roads with fairly shallow inclines? I suppose that's a PITA. Or when they get there, you close the steep parts "for safety reasons". Are these inspections "by appointment"? If this is the main failure you have? Maybe when they call to say they are coming, you could immediately go test the brakes on the steep part. Any that don't hold go in the shop for work.

Lol you need some learning on the ways of the evil msha. They make surprise visits. So at anytime the can show up and order a inspection. If I get on the cb and say msha is here they can and will fine me. When they do show up they will test all parking brakes on the property on the steepest travel way they can find. If you in a flat area and have a small 3-4’ tall ramp to feed the machines they will make you park the service truck on that.

everyone in my area knows if msha shows up you get the fuck out of there let me deal with them. It’s crazy the shit we get inspected for every year. It’s bad because I have 5 plants that could possibly run at the same time. So I have 5 numbers, which means I see him 5 times a year.

this natzi like system does work in the metal/nonmetal mines We are down to less than 20 deaths a year. Which is crazy as the amount of hours worked with all the huge equipment.

For some reason I started thinking about an electronic ebrake for my 71 and stumbled upon this 9 inch pinion brake from speedway. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ford...ergency-Brake-Kit-1310-Series-Yoke,44784.html which seem like something that could be fab'd fairly easily.

Apparently Hummers also have a pinion mounted parking brake which could probably donate a caliper for your project.

Might be our inspectors but our f-550 (05) has never been dinged for the parking brake not holding well enough.

same question to you what one did you have? The electric pump version or just the manual valve deal?

cant get the multi quote to work.

Mine is a variation of the "691" system. Big yellow triangle to actuate. According to MICO it compensates for loss of line pressure.

They were not real forthcoming with "how" the system works, they were more than willing to sell me a new setup though.

For some reason I started thinking about an electronic ebrake for my 71 and stumbled upon this 9 inch pinion brake from speedway. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ford...ergency-Brake-Kit-1310-Series-Yoke,44784.html which seem like something that could be fab'd fairly easily.

Apparently Hummers also have a pinion mounted parking brake which could probably donate a caliper for your project.

Might be our inspectors but our f-550 (05) has never been dinged for the parking brake not holding well enough.

I used an AA t-case e-brake on my Atlas. My only thought there is that it is mounted on the output shaft of the rear drive flange. It is above my skid plate and protected. I got a wrecking yard center pull handle out of some foreign POS and made my own cable. Works pretty damn good holding the CJ in place, but I have to put the front axle in if I want winch. Sorta what you can put up with I guess. The CJ is light enough that even though I have a 15k WARN in the front, I still wind up pulling cable on my rear winch to an anchor point to make a hard pull. With the brake on the pinion, it would seem to be more susceptible to damage ?

YMMV

Top Back Refresh