What's new

2000 1500 Yukon XL AKA The Covered Wagon

Thefishguy77

Part time dumbass
Member Number
Loc
U.S.S.A. (Washington St.)
Ok so got the Wife a Yukon for a family hauler. I know the GMT 800’s are famous for transmissions going out but I personally have never had one actually die personally. Until maybe now...

So I am working up north 4 days a week leaving mom to fend for the kids. I get a call yesterday that the rig wont start. All lights on the dash work but no start. I ask her to put it in N and see if it starts, no dice. She then tells me the shifter suddenly has no tension in it and she tried to shift it down to 1 and then back to park to see if for some reason it would help the gear indicator went all the way to first and is staying there. To me this sounds like a linkage problem but I dont know.

She mentioned last night when we were talking that when she went to start it the first time she noticed that it didnt look like it was all the way in park and she looked at the dash and it was in Neutral on the indicator.

Is this linkage of did I drop my first 4l60e?

Definitely sounds like a linkage issue to me
no tension on the cable and the PRN4321/park neutral safety switch is on the transmission so it will indicate what gear its stuck in
if its on a hill she better put a block behind the wheel so it doesn't roll,the ebrake on these trucks lick balls

when you get back take a look at the netural safety switch that sounds like your issue. PRO TIP: the wiring plugs are hot glued on from the factory so if they aren't easily removed use a heat gun to remove the glue.

So found the problem, how fucked am I?

4DED68AD-1C87-44CB-BBF3-F674B2AB2A92.jpeg

E613EA8A-494C-4CC1-B67B-F6D8D3B2870D.jpeg

Well I looked in to replacing the cable and with my limited time and no lift I opted to have it done. The trans was beginning to slip in the 1-2 shift and the famous oil leak from the rear made it easy. Getting a Jasper trans with a 100k warranty and getting the rest of that shit fixed at the same time. Now we have to drive the tires off the rig to break even ish. But thats not a problem for me as I average at least 200k per rig, not including ones I didn't own for more than a year. Good time but at least she will have a reliable rig again. I already resealed the intake, valve covers and whatever oil cooler is on the side of the motor. It was all leaking good.

Update: Trans is replaced and working great. I have done a water pump and PS pump as well as resealed the top of the engine to help get it dry. I still have to pull the oil pan as its leaking out the pan a bit :mad3: But I suspected that going i to it so whatever.
I get a call from my wife this morning saying it feels like it wont turn like it should and its “shuttering” while turning. Ok rear diff is locked in... I have her back up with the wheels straight for about 50’ and then try to turn. Now its GTG. So obviously when I get back home tonight or tomorrow I am changing the rear diff fluid. Anything else I should be doing? I will probably also pull the cover andgive it a visual inspection as well.
Its always something. How hard is it to replace the G80 with something better in it if hasn’t let go yet? I cant set up gears as of yet.

Can someone recommend me some
Bags for the ass of this pig? The air suspension has been removed and went with normal shocks. But when I put kids/gear and hook the boat up she squats really bad. About 600+ on the hitch. Want something I dont have to keep air in full time if thats a thing so it will still ride soft on the road when unloaded. And before TOGTFO:flipoff2:
8DFD5A2A-F931-4D94-AE93-05899BBA8CF7.jpeg

Top Back Refresh