What's new

2.5 car garage fix up

You'd think after all these years we'd eventually stop seeing such shit electrical jobs...yet is still par for the course.

Good on you for fixing it all up.

You'd think after all these years we'd eventually stop seeing such shit electrical jobs...yet is still par for the course.

Good on you for fixing it all up.
We had an outlet go up in smoke last summer and had lost power to half of our house due to loose wire nuts falling off. Both if those were wake up calls that I really need to go through the house top to bottom and fix the hacks. And I REALLY need to look over the next house a whole lot better. Like spend a whole day put there picking it apart. This house and my last were inspected by home inspectors and they found only stupid things that wouldn't hurt the house or anyone in it.
what is code?
is that a thing in your country you buy with your purple monies?
I used to make fun of code, but now I try to follow it where I can even though I don't know or understand it. My neighbors house just burnt down and a large reason the couldn't get the fire put out was no access to the attic, the roof was shingles laid over an old metal roof, and the exterior walls had wood siding under metal siding so they couldn't tell the fire was creeping up the walls or in the attic until the whole top of the house was on fire. Following code would have prevented all of those issues.

We had an outlet go up in smoke last summer and had lost power to half of our house due to loose wire nuts falling off. Both if those were wake up calls that I really need to go through the house top to bottom and fix the hacks. And I REALLY need to look over the next house a whole lot better. Like spend a whole day put there picking it apart. This house and my last were inspected by home inspectors and they found only stupid things that wouldn't hurt the house or anyone in it.
I just sold a place with a few home inspections from the buyer
I can tell you that he missed ALOT
(but that water heater is strapped to the wall now)
I used to make fun of code, but now I try to follow it where I can even though I don't know or understand it. My neighbors house just burnt down and a large reason the couldn't get the fire put out was no access to the attic, the roof was shingles laid over an old metal roof, and the exterior walls had wood siding under metal siding so they couldn't tell the fire was creeping up the walls or in the attic until the whole top of the house was on fire. Following code would have prevented all of those issues.
shingles over metal?
that is a new one for me

I just sold a place with a few home inspections from the buyer
I can tell you that he missed ALOT
(but that water heater is strapped to the wall now)

shingles over metal?
that is a new one for me

It was a new one for everyone involved. The house is a total loss. They ended up using a back hoe and ripping it apart to pull the hot spots away from the unburnt stuff. The guy has been self employed in a cash heavy business for decades. I'm sure whatever was in those 3 safes in his master bedroom is worth a lot more than the house they ripped apart to pull them through the wall. They also drained 3 ponds with a water truck relay and couldn't get the fire out.

Many "home inspectors" are basically a mail-order (or online) course. They also don't want to kill a sale or the real estate agents stop calling them.
Yeah. I thought the first house was a rare situation. The second house means this is the standard situation.

Oh come on, the NEC is a thing, there's very little in it that doesn't make sense.
If by "sense" you mean "saves some knuckle dragging idiot installing shit from having to make a judgement call or saves some worthless inspector from having to make a judgement call" then yeah, sure.

If by "sense" you mean "saves some knuckle dragging idiot installing shit from having to make a judgement call or saves some worthless inspector from having to make a judgement call" then yeah, sure.

So you're suggesting people just make up the way they do electrical in a home? :shaking:

This is how you get the shit the op has.

So you're suggesting people just make up the way they do electrical in a home? :shaking:

This is how you get the shit the op has.
Can't be worse than backstabs with AL wire, loose wire nuts, mazes of common neutrals and all the other shit professionals do because who cares if the guy who has to service it or add to it has a hard time figuring it out.

But don't worry, their romex is stapled every 18" and they put GFIs in a bunch of places you don't really need them so it's ok. :shaking:

Can't be worse than backstabs with AL wire, loose wire nuts, mazes of common neutrals and all the other shit professionals do because who cares if the guy who has to service it or add to it has a hard time figuring it out.

But don't worry, their romex is stapled every 18" and they put GFIs in a bunch of places you don't really need them so it's ok. :shaking:

It must be a heavy burden to be the smartest person you know.

Ahh the "well so and so is worse argument so it doesn't matter", well done, you sure got me :lmao:

Isn't Romex stapled every 4.5 ft? :flipoff2:

Will this vapor barrier hurt anything if I blow insulation over top of it? It would be sandwiched between .5" foam board and several inches of blown in stuff. Google didn't give me a solid answer and I don't know if it matters enough to worry about it.
1000011050.jpg

Also, I went a little overkill with the spray stuff behind the switches. I had to chop some out cuz it was pushing the box out a good half inch.
20240309_201549.jpg

I got all of the wall insulated. I didn't hurry the garage door wires which was kinda dumb. I'll have to fix that somehow.
20240309_222639.jpg

I have to fugue out something different for cabinets. The uline ones I wanted went up enough to make that not worth it. My wife suggested some shelves from lowes and then using a pipe strap to secure them to the wall. I like the idea but was pretty set on cabinets to hide everything. I will still be building tote storage above the shelves so I guess that will help.

I build my own cabinets, one side good sanded plywood...can make them exactly the size you need to maximize space. Should be cheaper than buying.

Not sure I understand the problem with your vapor barrier?

I build my own cabinets, one side good sanded plywood...can make them exactly the size you need to maximize space. Should be cheaper than buying.

Not sure I understand the problem with your vapor barrier?
I thought about making my own but this would be my first time and it would take me forever. He'll, it's taken me 2 weeks to insulate one wall and paint another.

For the vapor barrier, I just have never seen it put under the insulation before. I didn't know if that would take away from the blown in stuffs effectiveness or if it whatever. I'm probably over thinking it.

I thought about making my own but this would be my first time and it would take me forever.
...but next time you'll be slightly faster.

Never, EVER disregard the skills you develop while doing something the harder/slower/more expensive way. (and those skills NEVER apply only to the one specific job you completed)

I always laugh when I hear a "carpenter" say he can't weld or build something out of metal (or vise-versa). Biggest and most important task is usually measuring and cutting accurately which is something that applies to both worlds.

Except big mudding drywall jobs. Fuck that, leave it to the pot smoking hippies who love it.

I will probably save the carpentry work for a less rushed job. I did make some shelves for my shop ans that was pretty fulfilling. One of the criteria for this garage is it has to be able to get wet. Since I have the floor drain, I was my cars often in here.

For the vapor barrier, I just have never seen it put under the insulation before. I didn't know if that would take away from the blown in stuffs effectiveness or if it whatever. I'm probably over thinking it.

In cold climates, you typically want a vapor barrier on the heated side of the wall so that the warmer moist air doesn't reach the dew point inside the wall and condense - and vice versa for warm climates (moist outside air meeting the dew point from interior a/c).

I've always wanted to bury a telecom manhole and shove an upright compressor in there and just run conduit for power and air. Gravel floor and auto-drain on the tank.

Should be nice and quiet and if the tank ever goes the only damage should whatever the manhole cover hits on the way back down.
Thanks for the drain idea. I have a drain in my work ditch, left holes in the screed for running lines and I already have a vertical compressor to stick in there.

I put drywall over the little bit of wood that was showing.
20240317_154739.jpg

Then I covered the wall and around the corner in obs. I have to fix some wiring I was lazy about there by the door, so I left that off. I think my wife and I settled on the kobalt cabinets and tote racks above them. We were going to use uline buy the price went up too much. I got a new hose reel too, so that will need mounted as well.

Attachments

• 20240318_145840.jpg
    20240318_145840.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
I thought about making my own but this would be my first time and it would take me forever. He'll, it's taken me 2 weeks to insulate one wall and paint another.
build wooden 2x4/plywood open shelves and then cut plywood rectangles for doors and hang them over the front of the shelves. super easy to build the shelving and the doors will clean it up.

I saw floor cabinets being a waste of precious floor space. Keeping the bottom open like Tryloff is my direction... slide or roll heavy items underneath.

I got a batch of old kitchen wall cabinets years ago, before I started building shelving in-place. The cabinets have moved around a few times now, and i think I'm about done with them. Wasted effort.

Top Back Refresh