What's new

1st Gen Rav4 wtf's

Poopyface

Member Number
20220420_103547.jpg

96 Rav4 Auto AWD

Needed a rig after trading the 4runner in for a new vehicle for the lady so I bought this off a co worker for $1k. It's from Colorado so no rust which is why I bought it. It has 240k miles on it and runs pretty good except for some issues that maybe you guys can help me with. I have no experience with the engine/trans or these rav4's. No money light, fresh tuneup, and all fresh fluids. Battery is kind old and weak. PO and PO's PO ran it for whoknowshowlong with a thermostat that was stuck open. He said it needed a heater core cuz no heat and his mechanic couldnt figure out why it ran cold. It also wouldn't shift into 4th. I stuck a new thermostat in it and all that fixed itself. A $4 cure for all.

issues

1. Surges every two seconds when accelerating at a consistent speed up hills. The surge is enough to turn you into a slow motion bobble head. Does this every time.

2. Brake surges when coasting down hill. Feels like tapping the brake lightly every two seconds. Stops doing this when you get back on the gas. Again, slow motion bobble head and does it every time.

3. Will not accelerate from a stop if you gas it moderate/hard. It feels like it slips out of gear and just revs up. It will do just fine if you accelerate at the speed of a turtle. You can floor it once you are driving and it shift normally. It only does this at a stop and literally always does it on a hill stop. I have to go 0-60 in 7 minutes to accelerate normally on a hill. Annoying.

4. Rough idle when parking after a drive. RPMS lower a bit, idles rough, rpms return to normal (all this in like 5 seconds) and idle smoothes out but still feels like a lawn mower.

I haven't had much time to work on it last few months but have some free time coming up. Any suggestions would help point me where to look.

And yeah, nice to be back.

Last edited:
Can you accelerate hard from a stop if you shift it down into low? If so maybe the shift cable is out of adjustment or the cable sheath is cracked and it's partially between N & D at the trans when the shifter is in D. The torque of the engine moving it on the mounts under load could be enough to bump it into neutral. Just a possibility.

Do you have a caliper hanging up? Any hot wheels after driving?

Does this have any kind of downhill ascent control? Could be acting up.

Maybe the TCC or a sensor/solenoid for the transmission is causing an issue?

I don’t know anything about these. But these are places I would start looking to try and diagnose it.

Can you accelerate hard from a stop if you shift it down into low? If so maybe the shift cable is out of adjustment or the cable sheath is cracked and it's partially between N & D at the trans when the shifter is in D. The torque of the engine moving it on the mounts under load could be enough to bump it into neutral. Just a possibility.

It does the same thing in Low. When I think about it, it always does it on a hill, never a flat surface. I checked the fluid and it was maybe 1/8 below the hot mark when at operating temp. Not sure if that little bit would cause it but maybe it's enough to when on hill?

Last edited:
Do you have a caliper hanging up? Any hot wheels after driving?

Does this have any kind of downhill ascent control? Could be acting up.

Maybe the TCC or a sensor/solenoid for the transmission is causing an issue?

I don’t know anything about these. But these are places I would start looking to try and diagnose it.

No sticky calipers. Brakes are great.

No downhill ascent control that I know of.

I will look into the TCC/sensor/solenoid. Would these throw a code or no?

Replace the OEM fuel filter and check for vacuum leaks.

Im kinda thinking restricted exhaust

Cuz..
Lack of power/ surge, and you pair that with your other symptom of a brake issue. Car has a vacuum brake booster, restricted exhaust results in lower manifold vacuum. If you have low vacuum you will have less assist from brake booster. The surging, how it comes and goes could be a chunk of the cat rattling around inside the exhaust. Do you hear any rattles in the exhaust? Bang on that shit (when cold) if it sounds like a box of rocks your cat is in pieces

Its been a while, i think at idle you want 16" vacuum... ill have to double check.
FInd a vac hose and connect a vacuum gauge. If no gauge available, pull out the pre cat 02 sensor and take it for a rip

Im kinda thinking restricted exhaust

Cuz..
Lack of power/ surge, and you pair that with your other symptom of a brake issue. Car has a vacuum brake booster, restricted exhaust results in lower manifold vacuum. If you have low vacuum you will have less assist from brake booster. The surging, how it comes and goes could be a chunk of the cat rattling around inside the exhaust. Do you hear any rattles in the exhaust? Bang on that shit (when cold) if it sounds like a box of rocks your cat is in pieces

Its been a while, i think at idle you want 16" vacuum... ill have to double check.
FInd a vac hose and connect a vacuum gauge. If no gauge available, pull out the pre cat 02 sensor and take it for a rip
This is where I was thinking. Reminds me of a truck I rebuilt the transmission in twice. Because of a clogged Catalitic converter. That was a painful learning experience

Yeah there ya go. Spray it down with starting fluid and burn the thing to the ground. Problem solved!

Had one of those, I drove it, both kids drove it, couldn’t kill it.

Was a manual though. Never had an issue.

Cookie please.

If it’s the catalytic converter would it not be putting out a strange smell?

Top Back Refresh