What's new

1st gen brake booster

thrashmetal75

metal head
Member Number
Loc
North Carolina
My booster has finally gone out and I want to upgrade! I know about the 1” master cylinder and I’ve know there are booster upgrades. Has anyone done a booster upgrade for better brakes on a 1st gen (79-83) truck?

The dual diafram ( fukking autocorect fail) from a t100?
I have a pn somewhere.
There's a thread out there

I'm gunna have to go hunt the information in my notebook entry for that.
I'll be back later, there's a few different listings that work iirc.
Check the old bible yet?

Not sure if t100 bolts up to yours but these are the part numbers I used on my tacoma
T100 Booster (orillys) BH2 532791
T100 1 ton Master Cylinder from Rock Auto Part number: Centric 13044722 (130.44722)

I think I have a vac leak in my booster and want to go the other direction and delete mine altogether and set up a proper manual brake setup. Haven't researched it yet though.

Find a 2nd gen truck/4runner turbo booster. Same diameter as the first gen, but dual diaphragm

Reactions: Clb
I had no luck finding a turbo booster. Everywhere was out of stock. I assume the cores are very hard to come by. This was a couple years ago.

I was working on a 95 2wd 2.4 taco and the booster looks the right size. I'm going to pick one up some time and see if it will work.

I guess you can also make an adapter to use the v6 booster. I got a shock hoop in the way, so I dont think that will work for me. Dual Diaphragm Brake Booster In A First Gen

79 with 3rz. Turbo brake booster.

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpeg
    IMG_0131.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0130.jpeg
    IMG_0130.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 19
Think it's fj iirc.. its gotta have that 3/4 spacer on it or it will hit steering shaft. The turbo ones have been gone since the mid 2000's. I bought an fj one off ebay this last summer for about $80. There's only a few with the spacer and the circumference was about 8:.. the newer ones are 9" and will hit also.

I installed a WRX STI booster and master in my '78 Hilux. I had to slot the booster mounting holes a little. Works great with my FZJ80 front brakes and R32 Skyline rears.

That one came off my buddies turbo truck. No spacer. It’s very close to the steering shaft but doesn’t touch

Top Back Refresh