What's new

1st Gen 4runner CV woes

Dumptruck.the.wookie

High Hopes, Low Standards
Member Number
Loc
Littleton,CO
So im working on an 87 4runner. Swapped to 2nd gen brakes, front truetrac and a bunch of new seals. Almost got it done. Having a few issues. Upon initial disassembly I noted there were no bolts with washers under the hub goin into the cv shaft, either side. So i order new ones from toyota
23_144227_8237519686b2675b08f3c3da97124a7bcda19f5a.jpg

Upon attempting to install I noticed that CV was too far into the hub to grab the threads. or the hub was too thick, or my bolts are too short..... I have old MM hubs on here and Im hopin thats the reason this is happening. Anyone have any experience here?
13_122923_52f3fa917986612dfa759e0da8cb16472db71411.jpg

Also, on a fun note. After assembly and test drive I noticed a leak from the front end and found this....
23_144702_9fc4e4929f24ee5b2015f61e7b75837a170e99ab.jpg

All of my front end work here started with this dumb short side shaft. It had went and gone all floppy in the factory open carrier, So the carrier was swapped out for a Truetrac. I noticed slight wear on the stub shaft where it had been flopping, not terrible to my inexperienced eye, but why would a stub kick out like this at all? My test drive was up and down the street, no speed bumps or nuthin.... Im pulling the CV tomorrow to see if the clip popped off or something but I dunno.
Any and all input, insults and indifference is welcome.

Its back...
So I have since replaced the stub shaft with a new one from toyota, with new c clips. After installing the new shaft everything seemed fine for the last 3-4 months. Buddy needed 4wd up in the hills last night and had nothin. Inspected this morning and reported that the cv spit out again.

A little background, we did a 1.5" BJ spacer lift on the front to try and level out the truck after new OME leaves. I am not the biggest fan of the BJ spacers but this truck is just a daily, doesnt wheel it recreationally. Owner is a snowmaker in CO and sees mostly snow and ice, ocassional dirt road...

If anyone has any input here, or on the CV end bolt issue from the first post, i'd be more than grateful. I'm wondering if the two issues are related... I dunno.
I feel like a PO put the wrong cvs in here or something. Too short...?
With the BJ lift would a CV flange spacer make sense? Feels like a shitty bandaid but I'm getting to that point.
Diff drop?

Das Hoopty
20210311_161300.jpg

Last edited:
The problem is those shit locking hubs. The bolts and washers are not used with them. Throw those hubs in the garbage and get some Aisin hubs. Mile Markers are weak as fuck.

I have a set of Aisin's I was saving for a personal project. I'll use them on his and postpone my shit for now. Do you think this will do anything for my stub shaft issues tho? I can't really see how, but I'm here to learn.

Top Back Refresh