What's new

1st Build Thread Attempt - Cheap Suzi

My samurai was 160:1 on 37s with the 8v, so a little lower than yours. But it would literally idle up a wall. In fact I remember breaking my clutch cable one trip, trying a steep climb, thinking I was going to flip over, so I pushed on the breaks as hard as I could and it not stalling :laughing:
That's almost how mine felt with the 1.3.

With the 1.6, even turning the steering wheel aggressively was enough to stall the engine while at an idle. :laughing:

So this happened yesterday on the way to work.

Made a right hand corner, heard a YUGE bang and only had LR wheel drive. Unfortunately it wiped out the splines in the spool. The other shaft is about the same condition.

Does anyone know if there's a difference between a $200 TrailGear spool and an $80-100 eBay spool? I'm thinking they are both made at the same factory in Kuwait, so it'd be a waste to buy the TG one.

What say ye?

Attachments

• 20230815_160020.jpg
    20230815_160020.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Also, went wheeling the other weekend. Somehow made it easily up a climb that denied multiple bouncers due to their wheelbase.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230729-171812_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230729-171812_Snapchat.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 11
So this happened yesterday on the way to work.

Made a right hand corner, heard a YUGE bang and only had LR wheel drive. Unfortunately it wiped out the splines in the spool. The other shaft is about the same condition.

Does anyone know if there's a difference between a $200 TrailGear spool and an $80-100 eBay spool? I'm thinking they are both made at the same factory in Kuwait, so it'd be a waste to buy the TG one.

What say ye?
Not sure but ive seen that happen multiple times on others rigs.... I have a lot of miles on tg spools and never had that issue.

Not sure but ive seen that happen multiple times on others rigs.... I have a lot of miles on tg spools and never had that issue.
This was a TG spool, not a whole lot of years or miles on it. Probably 2 years to be exact. I don't think the spool is the reason it happened though.

I've always heard not to run spools un toyota axles because they deflect and bend to easily. Never seen splines strip though.

Weld a stock duff and put that in, or grab a spartan.

Whether it is an ebay spool or TG or TT spool, it is going to have the same effect on the axle splines.
The concerns I would have with a "cheap" spool would be whether or not the spool itself will hold up. Years ago, TT had a bad batch of spools where the splines would strip out in the spool.
I do run a spool in one of my samurais (I think it it a TT spool). But it is offroad only, so the stress of driving/turning on hard surfaces (pavement) frequently isn't there. Most of the offroading is on dirt, so there is some "give" there compared to rock/pavement.
I run lock rights in my other samurai. I have broken an axle shaft and twisted axle shaft splines in it. But it is also offroad only, and my main wheeling rig, and gets put through some pretty challenging obstacles at times. Plus, when I broke the axle shaft I would beating harder on it than I should have been and knew better (rocky climb with jagged rocks and the rear axle was hopping).

Last edited:
This is why I'm wondering, on Amazon you can buy a Yukon spool for $260, or a USA Standard spool for $100 less. The stock photo used is the exact same between the two, even the part number is damn near the same.

If I know one isn't a Yukon and one is, I'd happily pay the extra $100 for the Yukon. If they are both the same damn thing, I'd feel dumb paying extra.

I don't fuckin know. LOL

(Cheap fuck because first kid will be born next month so pinching pennies)

Screenshot_20230816-162238_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Yukon is just a rebranding, marketing machine, they have a few nice products (harcore hubs and super joints) but mostly just rebox shit

Purchased a Yukon spool from Yotamasters, it looks suspiciously similar to the TG that shit the bed. :laughing:

Pressed new carrier bearings onto the new spool and threw it in the housing. Backlash was .015 before and I was not able to get a good pattern reading (used gears). I set backlash back to what it was before and am hoping for the best.

What's everyone's carrier bearing preload set like? I pretty much tightened the spanners as tight as I could with a small breaker bar. It spins nicely but you can tell it's not as loose as it was before with the worn in bearings. I've always heard to set them pretty much as tight as you can.

Now to find a pair of shafts.
20230824_165843.jpg

Also, would be nice if they could spline further out on the spool. Only half the shaft engages.

20230824_165918.jpg

Did you miss this the first time?:flipoff2:
Wishful thinking I guess :smokin:

I'm just curious what would show if you ordered one directly from Yukon. Possibly Yotamasters has a pile of cheap generic pieces and sells them under the Yukon name. Think I'd be kind of pissed if I was Yukon and this was the case.

Fuck it lol if this takes a dump I'm gonna find a stock carrier to weld up.

Wishful thinking I guess :smokin:

I'm just curious what would show if you ordered one directly from Yukon. Possibly Yotamasters has a pile of cheap generic pieces and sells them under the Yukon name. Think I'd be kind of pissed if I was Yukon and this was the case.

Fuck it lol if this takes a dump I'm gonna find a stock carrier to weld up.

Ever noticed that home depots husky products usually look exactly like the kobalt stuff from Lowes and both look like the traveler brand from tractor suppy. They are all probably made at the same place in China, except they print different shit at the end.

It's no different for some 4wd parts. One place makes spools and sells them to Yukon, tg, or whoever.

Why sc and not turbo? Seems like the poor thing would be using as much h power to spin it as its making :laughing:

20 psi would probably be getting pretty hot with no way to intercooler, no?

Still neat though.
Update on my SC Sammi, I've finished breaking in the engine and swapped in the 2.75" pulley. It's now pushing 18 psi, no detonation, overheatihg or performance related issues. It is an absolute blast to drive the fastest Sammi I've ever driven, it actually accelerates.

Was able to lock in the hubs today. Buddy has a nasty swamp in his woods littered with decent sized rocks. He blew up the front end in his ZJ and it took forever to get him out. It felt nice to get it off the pavement after daily driving it the last few months.

1000001657.jpg
1000001661.jpg

Top Back Refresh