What's new

TX 1997 F-250, 4x4, 7.3

TexasTinkerer

Member Number
SOLD

Extended cab, XLT, 4x4, 7.3l diesel, automatic transmission. Power windows and locks. I have a massive stack of receipts for everything on the truck. Including the original window sticker. Engine is all original and unmolested. I have never towed with it, never tuned. Runs and drives fine, but has some issues common to 25 year old trucks.

Has a fuel leak, needs glow plugs, needs door panels, slow to fill up the tanks, front fuel gauge doesn’t work, locks don’t work. Body is straight and other than paint almost perfect. Bed has gooseneck hole and dents, but sides and tailgate are straight. 2004 Super Duty plastic midship tank (bigger, rust free). Freshly rebuilt 2004 Super Duty F-350 axles, new brakes, and Sky Offroad 4” lift kit. Shackle flip in rear, reverse shackle and flip in front. Tires in great shape. Price is OBO. No trades. Text with questions.

I have about $4k into the axle swap, basically only asking $5k for a running, driving, 7.3 4x4 with a decent body.

Text 817-301-2873 for more pictures or fastest response on questions or offers. Price is OBO. I’m not trying to make a profit, hard to price this so please send offers.

Everything works great on the truck except the following:
  • Glow plugs are out (block heater works great)
  • Needs to idle for a few minutes before driving or else it will stall. Not sure why.
  • Locks do not work.
  • Slight lean to the passenger side (1”). Not sure why.
  • Radio
  • Parking brake needs adjustment.
What it needs:
  • Door panels
  • Dash pad
  • Radio
  • Maybe some suspension work?
  • Maybe fuel bowl?
  • Glow plugs
  • Valve cover seals
  • Hole patched for gooseneck
Aftermarket work:
  • Sky Offroad complete Super Duty axle and leaf spring conversion. Flipped and reversed front shackle, flipped rear shackle. All new suspension components.
  • Drop pitman arm.
  • 30gal Super Duty front tank. Plastic, won’t rust.
  • Fully rebuilt axles from 2004 Super Duty F-350 (full one-ton).
  • Fully rebuilt front and rear drive shafts.
  • All new Super Duty brake components
8471435C-63B5-4FF7-8518-3AB99FC253F1.jpeg

Attachments

• 1A5B5ABC-237A-4132-B92E-CCEFB8E2287E.jpeg
    1A5B5ABC-237A-4132-B92E-CCEFB8E2287E.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 19
  • A5ACF80E-072F-4886-86F4-D22E9B09F4A8.jpeg
    A5ACF80E-072F-4886-86F4-D22E9B09F4A8.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 7DC080F4-615C-401E-94C3-FA12EA2ED48E.jpeg
    7DC080F4-615C-401E-94C3-FA12EA2ED48E.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 832437B3-FD96-447D-BE03-B70C489DC7CF.jpeg
    832437B3-FD96-447D-BE03-B70C489DC7CF.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Fair points. Should have clarified, I’ve personally never towed with it. The gooseneck was off when I got the truck. Yes, it’s a good engine and not showing any signs of expensive problems.

Seems to be a fuel bowl issue, not injectors or something more serious. Last time I changed the filter the bowl wasn’t full. I think the bowl is not holding diesel and the pump needs 5 minutes to catch up. But, doesn’t drip. Probably needs seals. Feel free to come take a look.

249k and change. Will hit 250k soon. I got it in 2018 at 212k, and performed the axle swap around 247k.

So you have owned it less then 25% of its milage and claim "never towed" but then changed that to "well ive never towed". Do you actually know that its never been tuned?

"Runs and drives great as is" well except that it doesnt drive cold, the sterio doesnt work, it leans to the right, the valve cover leaks and maybe the fuel bowl.... oh and dont bother trying to lock the doors or using the glow plugs.

I drive it every week. Starts right up on the block heater when it gets cold, idles fine, wait a few minutes, and you can drive it anywhere. Tracks straight, alignment is good. It’s 25 years old, of course some stuff leaks.

An old farmer in West Texas owned it since new, I bought from a guy in Austin who never did anything to it other than break the locks and door panel. Never had to remove a tuner or get it retuned. If you’re seriously interested I’ll go get the computer read and get the tune for you. Otherwise, yeah I’m going to say it’s factory. You’d have a hard time convincing me otherwise.

13,500? Nope, I wouldn’t pay over 7k but in all reality it wouldn’t be over 5k due to the stupid ad. “Never been towed. Needs a patch for the gooseneck.” That comment tells me there’s 17 other unknown things wrong with it.

Good luck with the sale

Edit: “unmolested” but it is running around with no glow plugs….sounds molested

Last edited:
Can’t excuse the ad, that was an honest oversight but I understand it makes people suspicious. I’m more than willing to go out of my way to document the condition or answer questions to address concerns. If it doesn’t sell before I finish my termite eaten kitchen I’ll be fixing the small stuff and re-list it in better condition.

The axle swap was close to $5k in parts and getting the axles and drive shafts rebuilt, so couldn’t take $7k for it. I’ve never seen a running and driving sub-300k mile 4x4 diesel OBS with a straight and solid body (bed excepted) sell for $7k but if you can find one you should buy it.

Can’t excuse the ad, that was an honest oversight but I understand it makes people suspicious. I’m more than willing to go out of my way to document the condition or answer questions to address concerns. If it doesn’t sell before I finish my termite eaten kitchen I’ll be fixing the small stuff and re-list it in better condition.

The axle swap was close to $5k in parts and getting the axles and drive shafts rebuilt, so couldn’t take $7k for it. I’ve never seen a running and driving sub-300k mile 4x4 diesel OBS with a straight and solid body (bed excepted) sell for $7k but if you can find one you should buy it.
The turbos are harder to find for sure but clean non turbo sub 300k are $5-8k all day in ca

First one to pop up, 6500 obo with banks turbo.... still not a 97
Screenshot_20230316-090041_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230316-090048_Samsung Internet.jpg

By the way, I wasnt knocking the price, just the way the add was written

Last edited:
Yeah, once they jump to Powerstroke from IDI the prices seem to jump a lot. Like I said earlier, I’m tossing a dart on the board for pricing. I’m currently about half of the price in my area for a similar trucks in very good condition. So the number seems fair but I am willing to listen to offers.

The turbos are harder to find for sure but clean non turbo sub 300k are $5-8k all day in ca

First one to pop up, 6500 obo with banks turbo.... still not a 97

Apples to oranges. Yes you have the derp that just sees OBS dizzel, but that's not the guy paying top dollar for a truck either.

The ad sucks and is a complete contradiction on every front. Red flag and hard pass. Saying it's a west texas farm truck doesn't help matters either :laughing:

Yeah, once they jump to Powerstroke from IDI the prices seem to jump a lot. Like I said earlier, I’m tossing a dart on the board for pricing. I’m currently about half of the price in my area for a similar trucks in very good condition. So the number seems fair but I am willing to listen to offers.

Weld a coffee can to the exhaust, spray paint the wheels black maybe even tint the back windows while your at it:flipoff2:, and park that bitch across the street from the local high school with a $15k price on it.

Edit: “unmolested” but it is running around with no glow plugs….sounds molested

It wouldn’t run at all without the glow plugs installed. Low marks for reading comprehension or understanding powerstrokes. :lmao:

They are burnt out or the wiring under the valve cover is worn out. Very common for a truck this old. Already replaced the bad relay.

It wouldn’t run at all without the glow plugs installed. Low marks for reading comprehension or understanding powerstrokes. :lmao:

They are burnt out or the wiring under the valve cover is worn out. Very common for a truck this old. Already replaced the bad relay.
Laugh all you want. I’ll get the final laugh when you get closer to 7k instead of 13,500

My old service truck didn’t have the glow plug relay, started up multiple times a day. Js

Yeah, I dont really know why but the not starting easy without the block heater is usually signs the injectors are at the end of thier life.
Or the batteries are almost done. My 97 was getting hard to start like that. Had to plug it in to make it fire. In SoCal. Put new batteries in it and it started like a champ.

My 7.3 is slightly hard to start when it's cold and has been sitting for days/weeks on end without the block heater, but will fire up no problem if it's only a night or two.

I can't remember the last time I put batteries in it, maybe it's time?

Fear not, I’ll make a build thread for all of you to comment suggestions on if it doesn’t sell in the next few weeks. I have some credibility to earn anyways. Should be a fun time.

My 7.3 is slightly hard to start when it's cold and has been sitting for days/weeks on end without the block heater, but will fire up no problem if it's only a night or two.

I can't remember the last time I put batteries in it, maybe it's time?

My 03 7.3 did that when it wae cold. I think the injectors were sticking

Updated description and added a new issue (front tank fuel gauge is jammed full). Also slashed the price more in-line with feedback I’ve received.

I'll give some friendly advice on this...

It's a cool truck. It's worth $9k easily IMO. But your ad needs help.

Engine is all original and unmolested. I have never towed with it, never tuned. ,
You don't know that, so you shouldn't state it as fact. I'd just delete it. All you need to say is "stock, healthy 7.3 Powerstroke" and leave it at that.

Also, delete all of the following if possible. If the door cards and dash pad suck, but they're in the truck, it doesn't "need" them. It doesn't "need" suspension work. It might not even "need" glow plugs, just wiring repair.
...but has some issues common to 25 year old trucks...

...needs door panels, slow to fill up the tanks...

What it needs:
  • Door panels
  • Dash pad
  • Radio
  • Maybe some suspension work?
  • Maybe fuel bowl?
  • Glow plugs
  • Valve cover seals
  • Hole patched for gooseneck

I'll give some friendly advice on this...

It's a cool truck. It's worth $9k easily IMO. But your ad needs help.

You don't know that, so you shouldn't state it as fact. I'd just delete it. All you need to say is "stock, healthy 7.3 Powerstroke" and leave it at that.

Also, delete all of the following if possible. If the door cards and dash pad suck, but they're in the truck, it doesn't "need" them. It doesn't "need" suspension work. It might not even "need" glow plugs, just wiring repair.

Agree.... for this site its nice you spell it all out but if posting on cl or fb simplify things.

Also you should easily get 9

Reactions: DMG
Top Back Refresh