What's new

1992 Remington 700 30-06 ADL. To free float and bed? or not?

Drummer79

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Washington, NC
Title pretty much sums it up. Just bought a 92 Remington 700, has a good Leupold scope on it. It doesn't pass the dollar bill test. In my younger days with a Winchester bolt action I could shoot a bottle cap at 100 yards, and didn't float it or anything, I could shoot a metal t post at 200 yards with a Ruger 10/22 at 200 yards. I haven't even fired this one yet, just got it last week, with a 1924 Winchester 30-30 arriving next week :smokin:. Should I just forget all the hype and leave it alone? or consider free floating and bedding it to get pinpoint accuracy out of it?

Well if you could repeatedly hit a Tpost at 200yds with an old ruger 10/22 Im sure you can out shoot what that old BDL can. Better get a new trigger, a chassis system, and a S&B scope for it.

Well if you could repeatedly hit a Tpost at 200yds with an old ruger 10/22 Im sure you can out shoot what that old BDL can. Better get a new trigger, a chassis system, and a S&B scope for it.
That was damn near 20 years ago, when i could see a t post at 200 yards lol. i will say though, while working for the catfish farms a few years ago, i took a 10-22 with a scope and in two shots, hit a bird in the head that was swimming on the catfish pond about 200 yards away.

That’s roughly the same year 700 I have. It’s been a great gun under 200 yard with a pos redfield on it, for almost 30 years. One drunk’n night during Christmas sale stuff going on, I bought a timeny trigger and Vortex scope. Made it better. :homer: 100-150 yards is about all I do and it does that well.

shoot it and go from there.

i get that the urge to modify is strong, especially with how much is available and how easy it is. That being said, id not touch it if its not broke.

maybe do the trigger safety recall thing so you do have an ND, but if it shoots, dont screw around with it.

related story: i bought a custom mauser in 257 roberts that had been built probably 50+ years ago for the brother of an acquaintance. the brother passed on and i bought the gun for $450 with 4 boxes of ammo. the stock had been bedded, and they even bedded the barrel, which is an older practice before everyone now is "Give me free float barrel or give me death!!". The trigger was worked on at the time, the stock is a no frills military reshapped to a sporter configuration, the swiss cheese holes in the action drilled for umpteen sight configurations have been adequately filled and it appears someone did a better than good parkerizing on everything. the redfield that was on it had some issues with the power ring, so i put an older Bushnell 3-9 i had on it and im not going to touch it otherwise. its all very utilitarian and beautiful in its simplicity.

some things are just good enough. ill never shoot the volume of 257 Bob and to distances like i would my long range rigs and so its going to be a great first gun for my son who was 12 months old at the time i acquired it.

Have you shot it yet? What do you plan on shooting with it at what range? I have a bdl from 94 or 95, crap tasco scope (thanks dad) that I used for deer. Farthest I ever shot paper was 200 and it will stack rounds with cheap Winchester ammo, likes 180's.

Shoot different rounds, see what works, decide from there.

Top Back Refresh