What's new

1991 V2500 14b bolt in?

4x4mechanic

Web Wheeler...
Member Number
Loc
SW Virginia
New to this sub-forum, been a member since we bailed on the other place. Was a member there since '04 so no noob. Hoping somebody can help me with the "easy button"...

1991 Chevy V2500 'Burb with the 6.2L and Banks Sidewinder. Is there a bolt in 14b ff that's the right width? It currently has the C-clip 14b and I haven't broken it yet, but would like to go ff with a locker and not have to do a ton of fabrication. Yeah, I know, sirch noob...

Post up your dimentions, IE WMS / WMS perch width etc.

Have a Dana 70 that is marked 95 that I pulled out of a 1985 K30 crew cab dually, its going into a 1986 K30 standard cab and bed.

Correction my differentials were both K30's not changing from a k20 to a k30.

Last edited:
Post up your dimentions, IE WMS / WMS perch width etc.

Have a Dana 70 that is marked 95 that I pulled out of a 1985 K30 crew cab dually, its going into a 1986 K30 standard cab and bed.

It's at home half buried in mud with the snow plow on it. Not gonna be able to get any measurements for at least a couple of weeks. Was just hoping someone had already done the legwork...

Yes, any 1975-1991 2500 14B will bolt in. Earlier models had the full 10.5" 14B.

Not sure about later model ones, but seems likely.

I dont think the weight capacity changes the WMS or spring perch dimentions as long as its within a few years.

The key to bolt in is k20/2500/v2500 vrs k30/3500/v3500

3/4t use 42.5 perch centerline where as 1t are 40.5".

The next hangup will be your ebrake system. To match your burbs existing style. So you want one that is about 1983 or newer.

I dont think the weight capacity changes the WMS or spring perch dimentions as long as its within a few years.
Sure does. 1 tons had different spring pad spacing... matches the K5's.

Not a bolt in.

Reactions: PAE
The key to bolt in is k20/2500/v2500 vrs k30/3500/v3500

3/4t use 42.5 perch centerline where as 1t are 40.5".

The next hangup will be your ebrake system. To match your burbs existing style. So you want one that is about 1983 or newer.
The backing plates swap around too. I put 91 plates on a 77ish diff.

I'm not 100% sure (maybe you know?) but the 13" SF and FF plates may even be the same. If it works, it would keep you in the 2.5" drums/shoes realm. The 3.5" plates have some offset to them.

EDIT: THE GMT400 trucks (88+/92+) have a wider perch spacing than the squarebodies.

I figured a truck rear would be wider (SRW) or narrower (DRW) but was hoping maybe a G3500 one or a MH chassis might be closer. Brakes aren't an issue, if I go to that much trouble I'll slap discs on it, lots of options there...

The van SRW version is slightly wider than the pickup one. Perches will need to be changed.

MH chassis... C-class (van nose) is a DRW/cutaway van, which is wide (72-73") with 14bFF version apperaing 92+ (D60 or 70 before that.) A-class is a c&c width usually - if its wide, its probably a dana for pre-92.

Xwhatever on the perches being different. Just went from a full float 3/4 ton to one from a one ton in my k5, had to move the perches, also had to re-do the shock hangers as they were opposite, but I believe that was a year change thing, not necessarily a 1 ton change.

I was able to make the newer ebrake cables work in the old backing plates though. The old style has a two piece bracket that clamped the cable, where the newer style has a washer/stopper (don't know how to explain it) that clips in. I just ground off the stopper part on the new cable and clamped it into the old style.

Xwhatever on the perches being different. Just went from a full float 3/4 ton to one from a one ton in my k5, had to move the perches, also had to re-do the shock hangers as they were opposite, but I believe that was a year change thing, not necessarily a 1 ton change.

I was able to make the newer ebrake cables work in the old backing plates though. The old style has a two piece bracket that clamped the cable, where the newer style has a washer/stopper (don't know how to explain it) that clips in. I just ground off the stopper part on the new cable and clamped it into the old style.
He asked for bolt in - I mean hell, if not bolt in, I did a 1t AAM from a 2004 Chevy 3500 into my 1972 Chevy K5... just had to move everything on the axle. :homer:

It's not a year thing, it's a weight thing for specific body styles. Here's a hint, they changed the spring width and frame thickness to handle more weight in the "square bodies" with less body roll.

I was agreeing with you, and others, that a 3/4 and 1 ton 14bolts are not the same spring perch width. :flipoff2:

The shock placement is what I was referring to with the year change. Are you saying they swapped shock placement on all the 1 tons vs 3/4 tons? I don't remember having to switch them around the last time I did a swap, when i used a newer square body axle.

I was agreeing with you, and others, that a 3/4 and 1 ton 14bolts are not the same spring perch width. :flipoff2:

The shock placement is what I was referring to with the year change. Are you saying they swapped shock placement on all the 1 tons vs 3/4 tons? I don't remember having to switch them around the last time I did a swap, when i used a newer square body axle.
Yes. Shock mounts are not in the same place for 3/4t to 1t.

What about for the front axles?
OP didn't ask about fronts, since there's no OEM 14B in the front.

That said, they're mostly the same. I have a 1t 60 in the front of my K5.

Of course, in 1991, they went all IFS.

OP didn't ask about fronts, since there's no OEM 14B in the front.

That said, they're mostly the same. I have a 1t 60 in the front of my K5.

Of course, in 1991, they went all IFS.
sorry for the derail.
I ment front 60s, I was reading this got me wondering.

Yes.
Gm built their own 4x4 in 1960. I dont know for certian but reasonably sure they are the same. The oe front hangers are identicle to 67-72. 73-87 2wd front cross members are a drill and bolt swap for 60-72 trucks

Other wise gm leaf spring 1960-91 are 31.5" across the board.

Yes.
Gm built their own 4x4 in 1960. I dont know for certian but reasonably sure they are the same. The oe front hangers are identicle to 67-72. 73-87 2wd front cross members are a drill and bolt swap for 60-72 trucks

Other wise gm leaf spring 1960-91 are 31.5" across the board.
You are correct.

Another tidbit: 1977 model year is also the first year of the Dana 60 front in GM's.

Still got the 10 bolt in the front, only interested in ditching the C-clip setup in the rear.

It's not the end of the world if I have to weld perches and shock mounts, was just hoping somebody knew if there was a "drop in" 14b ff...

Still got the 10 bolt in the front, only interested in ditching the C-clip setup in the rear.

It's not the end of the world if I have to weld perches and shock mounts, was just hoping somebody knew if there was a "drop in" 14b ff...
And there is...

The 3/4ton version - 73-91 squarebody (not crewcab). Go with 83+ if you don't wanna mess with backing plate swap.

EDIT: the FF was used sparingly in 20/25 series for these later years. 2wd big-block is a common application.

Last edited:

Reading comprehension was not was one of your strong suits I guess. You should really change your username

Yes, any 1975-1991 2500 14B will bolt in. Earlier models had the full 10.5" 14B.

Not sure about later model ones, but seems likely.

And there is...

The 3/4ton version - 73-91 squarebody (not crewcab). Go with 83+ if you don't wanna mess with backing plate swap.

EDIT: the FF was used sparingly in 20/25 series for these later years. 2wd big-block is a common application.

Reading comprehension was not was one of your strong suits I guess. You should really change your username

OK, I misread the 2500 as 3500... :flipoff2:

Must be my location, every 2500 I've ever seen around here has the c-clip axle in the rear. Guess I'll have to keep looking...

The other catch is BBC 2wd trucks often ran 3.21 and 3.42 ratios. The 14bSF only came out around '81; prior to that all the 20/25 series ran the FF so it may be easier to find the old diff and change brakes.

The other catch is BBC 2wd trucks often ran 3.21 and 3.42 ratios. The 14bSF only came out around '81; prior to that all the 20/25 series ran the FF so it may be easier to find the old diff and change brakes.
regardless of whether or not it's a bolt-in, I plan on converting to disk brakes anyways...

And finding anything older is getting harder by the day, seems they've all been crushed around here... :frown:

Top Back Refresh