What's new

1990 Suburban....Wife's daily driver/family camping rig build

slowlygettingthere

Member Number
Loc
cousinfuckingbama
We have had this thing a couple years. Finally getting it ready to start taking a few trips in it I hope. As it was when we bought it except for the wheels/tires.

1990 burb 1500

Resized_20210825_064213.jpg

it had a add-a-leaf and a overload spring on the front for lift and blocks in the rear. Swapped a d60 in the front to fix some of that. She drove it a little while longer till I got ready to swap the 14b in the rear.

20231017_184827.jpg

And after pulling the rear.

20240321_074021.jpg

Just doing the normal stuff for now to get it back going. 4:56 gears, Detroit in rear front is open for now. Just doing crossover steering for now till we start using it for more than street driving. Test fitting the tires before adding the Xtra lift and moving front forward an inch. Going to be in the 4-5 inch range I hope.

20231017_191401.jpg

20231018_083205.jpg

20231019_163714.jpg

37's with 2" blocks in the rear and the add-a-leaf in the front.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have a winch and will be building some bumpers and rocksliders/steps for the side. It is already a little tall for her. Adding the 37's and another inch or 2 of lift will make her have to pull on the door too much to get in it. This thing sat for a few years I think. Since she has been driving it regularly everything is leaking. It is a 350/350 with a 241. I would eventually like to do some type of motor swap. I already have a nv4500/ecobox/ 205 combo in another project but the wife wants to keep it auto. so we will see how it goes.

350 still tbi?

Very nice i dig it
Even cooler the wife willing to drive
Yep it is all stock except for the suspension and now the axles. The wife fawking loves it. She wouldn't even agree to the "upgrades" unless I could get it done quick. The rear main seal is pouring oil. I will have to pull the engine and reseal it at a minimum in a few months.

Small update. I ordered some add-a-leafs to use on the rear. Well turns out they will not work. It stops at 87 for 1/2t burbs and goes to 91 for 2500. I guess there was a spring change in 88 for 1/2t maybe. Haven't researched it yet. Anyway so I built some bastard packs out of springs I already had and the stock ones.

20240402_175529.jpg

Ended up with this spring pack. I have no idea if it will be overly stiff, soft or too tall. Going to get the 14b shaved, perches and shock mounts on tomorrow I hope. I will be able to see where the springs stand at that point.

20240406_181425_resized.jpg

I should be able to remove the zero rate when all is said and done but I wanted to test fit with it on to check. The stock springs were soft enough to have the overloads rubbed to bare steel from hitting them regularly with nothing in the back of it.

Small update. I ordered some add-a-leafs to use on the rear. Well turns out they will not work. It stops at 87 for 1/2t burbs and goes to 91 for 2500. I guess there was a spring change in 88 for 1/2t maybe. Haven't researched it yet. Anyway so I built some bastard packs out of springs I already had and the stock ones.

20240402_175529.jpg

Ended up with this spring pack. I have no idea if it will be overly stiff, soft or too tall. Going to get the 14b shaved, perches and shock mounts on tomorrow I hope. I will be able to see where the springs stand at that point.

20240406_181425_resized.jpg

I should be able to remove the zero rate when all is said and done but I wanted to test fit with it on to check. The stock springs were soft enough to have the overloads rubbed to bare steel from hitting them regularly with nothing in the back of it.
Niiice:smokin:

I've made frakenleaf packs a few times using two sets of OEM springs. They were fairly stiff, but nothing I couldn't live with for about a decade before I got a custom set made.

I've made frakenleaf packs a few times using two sets of OEM springs. They were fairly stiff, but nothing I couldn't live with for about a decade before I got a custom set made.
I have the stock burb main leaf mixed with some springs out of a 78 1 ton chevy rear pack and the bottom burb leaf and overload. I don't know if all the burbs had offset pin packs. That's why add-a-leaf wouldn't work.

I plan on doing some custom springs but want to get it closer to "done" to make sure the front and rear weights are more accurate.

After a little looking maybe 88-91 4x4 1/2t burbs got the 56" spring like the 2wds had for years. Idk the good charts that used to be avaliable are not as easily found.

Last edited:
A little update. Rear is under it to test spring height. Perches and shock mounts still have to be welded on. This should be pretty close to ride height.

20240418_074153.jpg

We started on the front. Cleaning up the front axle to do a little painting. The wife giving a helping hand and the dog watching what's going on.

20240423_185226.jpg

As it sits now. Going to swap the stock fronts for some 1 ton stock front spring. Will be using a zero rate to add another inch and move axle forward an inch. I hope that will be enough for the tires to clear with some minor trimming.

20240423_162956.jpg

Top Back Refresh