What's new

1990 Suburban LS 6.2L swap

LorneStar

Destructive Fabricator
Member Number
Loc
Laredo TX
90 Suburban getting all new drivetrain. Any tips and tricks are welcome. This will be my first bigger project like this.
1990 Chevy V2500 Suburban
LS3 Gen IV 6.2L
4L65E with Atlas Transfer Case

Side note// If you want a 350/th400/np241. Let me know.

IMG_20210306_122551_851.jpg

IMG_20210307_161236_695.jpg

IMG_20210312_185228_499.jpg

IMG_20210121_160915_030.jpg

IMG_20210121_160953_566.jpg

Man I was I was closer I would buy the transfer case. I have been looking for a 241 passenger drop for a while with no luck. Nice looking build! Following......

Sub’d.... I have a 90 2500 longbed.... looking forward to seeing progress on this!!!

Alright made some progress.

If you want to keep the crossmember you can. I cut mine out because the engine clears better and I have alot more room between the engine and firewall.
Headers are going to be another issue. I see a few posts already about some headers that work well. I am thinking of building my own. Would be a nice custom touch.

Let me know if you think I should build my own or buy them?

Can't see wanting to build my own headers for a DD/tow rig.

We used the stainless chi-com shorty headers on my dads '66 5.3 swap and they while I had my reservations they have been great.
I wanted to cut the flange off and weld on v bands but my dad didn't want to wait any longer so we just ran the the three bolt flange and stainless gasket. No leaks.

Something like this,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-02-16-C...sAAOSwySVaQwDc

edit: these headers were on the engine we bought from a stalled '65 swap project. I probably wouldn't have bought them otherwise because they are so cheap. But I ended up buying a set for my sons FE352 Ford and except for not being the correct ones for a '65 they work great as well. Thick flanges, no leaks.

Last edited:
So will you be welding in another crossmenber?

Looks like a good swap.

Are your gauges going to work or are you going aftermarket?

My next project will be some type of LS swap, undecided on what just yet.

Yea for 100 hundred bucks I will buy them. That is just way to cheap and easy.

So will you be welding in another crossmenber?

Looks like a good swap.

Are your gauges going to work or are you going aftermarket?

My next project will be some type of LS swap, undecided on what just yet.

Yea I am going to weld in another. I want to make the factory gauges all work. I am already pretty far into the project budget and need to be conservative with "NEEDS and WANTS"

I was looking at building a custom set for my build. A good build kit was more expensive than the headers from speed engineering. I ended up going with their 1 7/8 C10 Long tubes. The will be delivered tomorrow, Ill report back based on quality as I install.

As for gauges, look at ICT billets webpage. They make metric to std adapters that allow all your dash gauges to be retained. Keep in mind the controller is going to need all the factory sensors (in their proper location) for fuel and spark delivery. I generally use the oil filter adapter port from the oil pan for gauge pressure, drill and tap and your good to go.

What oil pan are your running? Looks like a factory LS3.... I am currently using a GENIII camaro LS1 pan and pickup, with the motor moved back (ICT billet adjustable mounts) The skirt on the front of the block is 1/4" from contacting the cross member. I am sitting here debating on cutting as you did and adding tube, Plating the cross member, or removing the entire cross member and fabricating something similar to offroad designs unit.

Man, those 32 spline np241's are like hens teeth back east. When i finally found one for my ecobox swap the guy was shocked i was in such a hurry to go pick up.

Why do people want them so badly? In a world of gear driven cases being the king of offroad?

Ryan Agan at Agan fab works is into square bodys and he has made some low profile cross members that are bolt in. You may want to hit him up if you're looking at buying a crossmember. He only has the cummins swap one on his website but ive seen a few others on his Instacram and may be worth the call if you're into buying one.

That’s a 241 passenger drop case, if I recall they were only run for 2 years in the burbs @ 32 spline. They are a damn strong case for a stock unit, it’s not a 205 but will take a shit kicking. I looked everywhere for one before I rebuilt my 208. I am hoping it lasts me long enough to save up for an atlas.

To be honest. I think somebody else could use it more than me. I am already set on doing all of the fabrication for this and the atlas is already mated to the 4L65E. If you check in the classifieds under powertrain I have everything for sale. Only problem for most I already know in advance is that I live on the Border to Mexico. So picking it up or shipping is the problem. But if you are close by then feel free to make me an offer and come get it all.

Since you're going to be welding in a new crossmember, what are your thoughts on boxing the frame? Are you going with a canned tune, or using an aftermarket tuner? Still collecting parts for my swap and trying to plan it out.

Be willing to ship that tcase? I need one with the electric speedo for the ls swap im doing on the wifes k10 here soon.

Sorry gents, not much for updates. Been working on cleaning up the underneath and fuel system so nothing worth posting.

Top Back Refresh