What's new

1988 samurai new fuel tank ?

Landslide

Red Skull Member
Member Number
So I have an 88 samurai that I stuck a late 90’s 1.6 EFI engine in years ago. I have a plastic RCI tank in the bed and I want to get rid of that and install a OEM tank under it in its factory location.

Question I have (dumb as it may be) I found them on eBay with everything I need minus the mounting straps but they are for carb setups. I’m running an external EFI pump on it now naturally. Has anyone modified the oem pickup to use an in tank EFI pump or just modified the pickup tube to eliminate the carb pump and just use a screen coveeed pickup tube for the external EFI pump?

I was going to say the same thing as Alex

The other option is to just jump for the petroworks tank. It's not that expensive when you factor in that it comes with the fuel pump, new sending unit and thicker skid plate.

I was pretty disappointed in how far down in hangs over stock. Especially after they told me 3/8", when it's more like 4" :homer:

If you do get the Petroworks tank, make sure to drill it out and put in a bigger vent.

(I'm assuming they still haven't fixed that issue)

I was going to say the same thing as Alex

The other option is to just jump for the petroworks tank. It's not that expensive when you factor in that it comes with the fuel pump, new sending unit and thicker skid plate.

I was pretty disappointed in how far down in hangs over stock. Especially after they told me 3/8", when it's more like 4" :homer:
Too much coin and I don’t need a larger capacity tank then stock as it only sees our farm and I don’t wheel anymore. I never wheeled in tiny rigs like this before either. Not that that’s a bad thing just never did.

Too much coin and I don’t need a larger capacity tank then stock as it only sees our farm and I don’t wheel anymore. I never wheeled in tiny rigs like this before either. Not that that’s a bad thing just never did.

Add up the cost of the tank shipping, new fuel pump, sending unit, plus whatever else, and I doubt you'll be much cheaper. The plastic is nice for rigs that sit a lot as well.

Edit: nevermind, I just clicked your like and it looks like it comes with everything and free shipping. I had only clicked Alex's which was a bare tank for about the same price and $100 shipping.

I wish I would have seen the one you posted before I bought my petroworks. I really hate how far it hangs down.

What was the issue? Mine seems to work great.

We had one come in that was starving for fuel when you filled it up past the fill spout. This was probably back 2014-ish and the tank had been in there many years. Not sure how old it was.

We drilled out and retapped the vent to a larger size and it cured the problem.

Don't remember what size the vent was originally, but it was obviously undersized. iirc we went with a 5/16" ID fitting for the new vent.

So I have an 88 samurai that I stuck a late 90’s 1.6 EFI engine in years ago. I have a plastic RCI tank in the bed and I want to get rid of that and install a OEM tank under it in its factory location.

Question I have (dumb as it may be) I found them on eBay with everything I need minus the mounting straps but they are for carb setups. I’m running an external EFI pump on it now naturally. Has anyone modified the oem pickup to use an in tank EFI pump or just modified the pickup tube to eliminate the carb pump and just use a screen coveeed pickup tube for the external EFI pump?
If you just keep your external pump the carb tank will require zero modifications. If you want to go in tank you should just step up to the 90-95 tank in my opinion.

Top Back Refresh