What's new

1988 Samurai Turned Buggy

I am running SPUA custom YJ leafs on my samurai. I currently run 34x10.50 LTBs on it. It is a mix of YJ leafs and Blazer/S10 leafs to give it some lift, since I moved the rear spring hangers up and frenched the front spring hangers into the frame.
Moving the spring hangers up made a world of difference on it to keep from getting hung up on rocks/ledges. IIRC, I gained around 4" of clearance at the hanger by moving the rear spring hangers up. Of course the fixed ends of the springs have been relocated, so I am still running the stock wheelbase with YJ length springs and the fenders were cut by approximately following the original fender flare lines (since my samurai was pretty much as rusty as the OPs is).

So your springs are frame rail width? My current stock Sami springs are outboarded. I was going to do the same with the Toyota axles as I assumed wider would be better. Is this not the case?

So your springs are frame rail width? My current stock Sami springs are outboarded. I was going to do the same with the Toyota axles as I assumed wider would be better. Is this not the case?
Yeah, I narrowed the spacing on the front springs. The rear springs are still the same spacing as they always were, just moved the hangers up above the bottom of the frame rail. The front spring hangers hanging down never was that big of a deal on getting hung up on stuff, but figured since I was modding the rear, I might as well do the front as well. Plus, with the offset of the wheels I was running, occasionally the tires would get into the springs when turning hard, since I had modified my steering so it would turn sharper than stock by running a longer pitman arm and changing the bolts on the front knuckle that act as stops to flat head bolts.
For what I assume you are probably going to use your samurai for, there really isn't a need to do all that steering work and narrowing of the front spring spacing. One reason I did mine is because I was running local amateur comps.
If you are going to use it where there are a lot of bigger rocks and ledges, raising the rear spring hangers is definitely worth it.

Yeah, I narrowed the spacing on the front springs. The rear springs are still the same spacing as they always were, just moved the hangers up above the bottom of the frame rail. The front spring hangers hanging down never was that big of a deal on getting hung up on stuff, but figured since I was modding the rear, I might as well do the front as well. Plus, with the offset of the wheels I was running, occasionally the tires would get into the springs when turning hard, since I had modified my steering so it would turn sharper than stock by running a longer pitman arm and changing the bolts on the front knuckle that act as stops to flat head bolts.
For what I assume you are probably going to use your samurai for, there really isn't a need to do all that steering work and narrowing of the front spring spacing. One reason I did mine is because I was running local amateur comps.
If you are going to use it where there are a lot of bigger rocks and ledges, raising the rear spring hangers is definitely worth it.

I plan on raising the front and the rear hangers as much as I can.

Do you have pics of this rig? Specifics on the front frame work would be awesome.

I plan on raising the front and the rear hangers as much as I can.

Do you have pics of this rig? Specifics on the front frame work would be awesome.
Here are the pics for the raised rear spring mount. Stock rear hanger that was cut off the frame. Stock rear hanger trimmed down. Stock rear hanger where it got welded to the original cross brace. The YJ relocation plates bolted to the relocated stock hanger. Reinforcement braces.
The last 2 pics are before and after pics.

Attachments

• cut off hanger.JPG
    cut off hanger.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 20
  • hanger trimmed to 2 inches on front.JPG
    hanger trimmed to 2 inches on front.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 20
  • new hanger position 4 inches higher.JPG
    new hanger position 4 inches higher.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 20
  • old YJ hanger bolted up.JPG
    old YJ hanger bolted up.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 19
  • right side front brace.JPG
    right side front brace.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 23
  • right side rear reinforcement.JPG
    right side rear reinforcement.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 20
  • old hanger position.JPG
    old hanger position.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 18
  • clearance.JPG
    clearance.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 20
I am running SPUA custom YJ leafs on my samurai. I currently run 34x10.50 LTBs on it. It is a mix of YJ leafs and Blazer/S10 leafs to give it some lift, since I moved the rear spring hangers up and frenched the front spring hangers into the frame.
Moving the spring hangers up made a world of difference on it to keep from getting hung up on rocks/ledges. IIRC, I gained around 4" of clearance at the hanger by moving the rear spring hangers up. Of course the fixed ends of the springs have been relocated, so I am still running the stock wheelbase with YJ length springs and the fenders were cut by approximately following the original fender flare lines (since my samurai was pretty much as rusty as the OPs is).
Do you have pictures of this? That was one of the main things that bothered me about my old Samurai with YJ leafs SPUA. The frame side hangers would hit and hang up easily on rocks.

Not as many pics for the front spring hanger that I moved up into the frame. Here is the before and after pics.
Also moved my front shackle mounts in and forward.

Attachments

• PB040405.JPG
    PB040405.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 18
  • P8170591.JPG
    P8170591.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P8070552.JPG
    P8070552.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Do you have pictures of this? That was one of the main things that bothered me about my old Samurai with YJ leafs SPUA. The frame side hangers would hit and hang up easily on rocks.
See my post above yours.:smokin:

Moving them in on a Toyota axle is basically impossible. Other than that, this is what I plan to do with mine eventually. Although I may move the front shackle hangers up even more and go spoa.

The more I precisely think about this the more it’s all coming together. Lots of options. Narrowing down a concrete path is harder.

Moving them in on a Toyota axle is basically impossible. Other than that, this is what I plan to do with mine eventually. Although I may move the front shackle hangers up even more and go spoa.
Moving the springs in isn't required. It just made it easier to simply weld a plate to the outside of the frame for a new hanger, instead of having to space it out or make an offset hanger. The front spring hangers isn't what usually hung me up, it was the rear hangers.

Moving the springs in isn't required. It just made it easier to simply weld a plate to the outside of the frame for a new hanger, instead of having to space it out or make an offset hanger. The front spring hangers isn't what usually hung me up, it was the rear hangers.

I agree, although I think the front shackles are just as obnoxious as the rear hangers.

The more I precisely think about this the more it’s all coming together. Lots of options. Narrowing down a concrete path is harder.
Definitely lots of options. Ask 10 people, you'll likely get 10 different answers on what is best. I've been wheeling this rig since 2007ish and it does awesome for what it is. I started out with simply RUF springs and stock samurai rear springs. As my wheeling skills improved I made changes to make the samurai more capable.

I agree, although I think the front shackles are just as obnoxious as the rear hangers.
Depending on the ledge, I either have to find a nook to stick the shackles in so they don't hit or hit the ledge at an angle so the tire hits before the shackle does. Since I moved the shackle mount up, that helped with overall clearance.
I thought about at one time about linking the front. But since I knew basically nothing about setting up links, I took an alternate route.

My rear spring hangers are getting trashed so I've been thinking of raising my mounts as well. I was either going to build a little ramp from the frame to the hanger, but I may as well go ahead and move the hanger all together. Then I can run springs with more arch or go SOA without much additional lift, and also get rid of the rock anchor hangers. Also thinking sliders in the front instead of the shackle. Many ways to skin this cat.

This morning I said screw it and ordered the following:

Ninja Gear Ring and Pinion Gear Set
Solid Pinion Spacer
Pinion Seal
2 ea. Outer Bearing Rebuild Kits for the Rear Axles

I hope I got everything to start rebuilding the rear axle. I was talking to Yotaatietoo and thought I would buy a Spartan, but for $350 I’ll just weld the rear. Prices are insane anymore. I remember lunchbox lockers used to be like $150.

Solid Pinion Spacer
Pinion Seal

I hope I got everything to start rebuilding the rear axle. I was talking to Yotaatietoo and thought I would buy a Spartan, but for $350 I’ll just weld the rear. Prices are insane anymore. I remember lunchbox lockers used to be like $150.
If you are not aware, trackick front gears/thirds fit samurai axles. Depending on the year of trackick third you get (89-95 or 96-98), they are direct drop ins into samurai front or rear axle housings. The trackick thirds are aluminum and the carriers are single pin, instead of 3 pin, but they seem to hold up decently well, unless you just bash the shit out of the rocks with them and/or drive like an idiot.
I have never had to replace outer bearings in a samurai rear axle. I've replaced a few seals. But I guess replacing the bearings won't hurt anything. I've maybe replaced a pinion seal before. But unless it is leaking, not really necessary, IMO.
Welding or spooling the rear definitely makes it drive different than a locker, but it works and is a cheaper way to get the added traction. You'll be surprised where it will go in 2wd with the rear end locked.
A 5 second google search returned this...a spartan for the rear of a samurai on amazon for $200.

If you are not aware, trackick front gears/thirds fit samurai axles. Depending on the year of trackick third you get (89-95 or 96-98), they are direct drop ins into samurai front or rear axle housings. The trackick thirds are aluminum and the carriers are single pin, instead of 3 pin, but they seem to hold up decently well, unless you just bash the shit out of the rocks with them and/or drive like an idiot.
I have never had to replace outer bearings in a samurai rear axle. I've replaced a few seals. But I guess replacing the bearings won't hurt anything. I've maybe replaced a pinion seal before. But unless it is leaking, not really necessary, IMO.
Welding or spooling the rear definitely makes it drive different than a locker, but it works and is a cheaper way to get the added traction. You'll be surprised where it will go in 2wd with the rear end locked.
A 5 second google search returned this...a spartan for the rear of a samurai on amazon for $200.

I’m building Toyota axles for this.

Solid Pinion Spacer
Pinion Seal

May as well just go grizzly for the front for a little more.

My Marlin Crawler order came in this week. I really like the Ninja Gears (Yukon), but everything was a fight. Seems it’s all built to max tolerances. Solid, awesome product, just had to fight it all.

247C9C50-151C-4EA1-B040-DA9AB8197064.jpeg
522D2BF3-86F6-4A1B-9E7A-CF964FF6D100.jpeg
16B2200C-0D58-488C-96A8-0204636C4A5B.jpeg
415599FA-2C15-4E20-951E-EF914026B2FD.jpeg
A17BB03C-1074-43A9-A4A9-3EC1C13CE408.jpeg

This is my first pattern. It was freezing in the shop and I put the first compound on too heavy. Second set is less and only 10 rotations.

How does it look? This is my first time.

First compound:

8B6E8AC8-F7E5-49F9-879F-C95F7319A6DB.jpeg
781B34E3-95D1-4B9F-8D91-3CAB7560B28C.jpeg

Second:

B347364B-A2A0-45E3-A327-F368D3678E83.jpeg
1D7C406F-80AB-4BA1-81A7-402D4801C127.jpeg

Here’s the ghost pattern:

D424B5F9-7057-4F18-B52A-E22C334D433D.jpeg

I feel like my pinion could maybe get moved in a slight bit.

Last edited:
I ran spoa bastard packs on my rig. Started off as YJs. I think I had three springs in each pack. On Toys and 35s. Extended the front of the frame.

as for lockers, this was my Toyota's:

0316151737.jpg

0316151736.jpg

:dustin:

I set the pinion depth deeper today and re-set the ring gear as tight as I could while maintaining backlash.

I like the coast pattern:

DFD26C86-9015-419B-A076-792353F44FDD.jpeg

I’m not too sure about the drive pattern:

37D048D3-1E2B-4133-8FD8-E4C481E18F3D.jpeg

Here’s the ghost drive pattern:

1FC6F3B2-DE57-46E5-8DAE-9D91BB4A1ACC.jpeg

I’m reading a lot on Yukon’s page. It says not to worry about centering the marks between the heel and the toe. But they didn’t have much for the drive pattern, which I believe is when it’s in reverse. Coast is going forward, correct?

Last edited:
I forgot to update this.

Byro helped me out via text and sent me a really handy attachment for deciphering what needs to happen depending on gear pattern.

Final pattern turned out pretty good.

847ECF0F-A8DD-401A-85E0-7857D30807E6.jpeg
DDE4AB2E-197D-4286-A1DE-401B02EA6C6D.jpeg
A1CE3881-62D3-4134-907C-C0B2A7CCD23E.jpeg

Also, with the cost of everything being so retarded anymore, this build is going to take a long time. I’ve also realized that I should just make the most out of this, kind of a buy once, cry once situation.

The cost of leaf springs is a lot more expensive now than I imagined, and also add other issues to the equation. So I’m just going to pace this slowly, and link it.

Pulled the Sami up to the shop and started the tear down with my oldest kid helping.

Pretty much gutted.

I’ll have my oldest kid start pulling all the wires tomorrow while I work on pulling the engine, trans, and transfer case.

This thing is leaking from everywhere. :laughing:
9F2122FE-7C94-4050-9661-5DA13C702E33.jpeg
43C52554-8DA9-4051-A14F-19C82890446C.jpeg
9851E327-1C2D-4A6C-8AE5-A979BDF830DD.jpeg
628E1109-21F1-4C46-9252-C24112900C5A.jpeg

Top Back Refresh