What's new

1988 Montero 2 door SAS

506Montero

Member Number
Hello,

So I want to share my build with you guys, it is a budget built and a work in progress

It started as my daily a (still a daily) 2.6 gas Montero, ran it on 33s with no lift just a little bit of trimming.... suspension components started dying, so it was time for a rebuild or....

so gathered the parts (Dana 30 and 35) cheap parts and lot available, 4.88 gears, heims and all the metal

p5pb17955930.jpg

p5pb18621961.jpg

Front suspension is a 3 link, steering we designed a contraption of a hi steer for it, cherokee coils all around, stock rear, rubicon express front +4.5, procomp es9000 shocks, 4.88 gears, flipped Discovery II front radius arms on the rear, its pretty stable and nice as a daily, suspension works a charm and well I am pretty happy....

but looking for more as always

p5pb18770483.jpg

p5pb18770482.jpg

p5pb18770480.jpg

it is a light build, not something extreme by any means, the plan was just keep it on the road and make it more capable, now I have been thinking about either redoing it, or looking for another one either a second gen body and chassis or one like mine, add 40 cm to the body and move the rear axle with it, get a chevy 350 with an SM465 14bolt rear, most likely dana 60 (if possible) at the front and run 40s or narrow 39s

Pura Vida!

That thing is sweet. Are they hard to come by and how bad do they rust?

Thank you!!

Actually pretty easy to come by (sold in the states mostly as dodge raider), rust is not really an issue at least on the ones that I have seen... pretty popular on So Cal.

Here we have a lot of them, so parts are cheap for them haha

So the engine blew on the montero, going with a OM603 with the trans and adapting the transfer case... should be fun having twice the power

So build is going bigger... saving for a king pin dana 60 and FF 14 bolt, mid 2021 should be here, going to chop it and build a flat bed, stretch the wheelbase to 110 - 119 inches, 40s and a dana 18 transfer mated to the benz box.

So build is going bigger... saving for a king pin dana 60 and FF 14 bolt, mid 2021 should be here, going to chop it and build a flat bed, stretch the wheelbase to 110 - 119 inches, 40s and a dana 18 transfer mated to the benz box.

Why not go with a LWB to start with?

That would be a smart move, to start with a LWB as it would provide the right wheelbase and most likely where this will go, put the OM for sale since they dont pop up here regularly and if some one buys it for the right price, the rebuilt 4g54 I got a couple of weeks ago (either for this one or my grandpa one) will go in and call this car done (build like a light weight off road daily) and put the OM money to get it done and buy some toys...
Have a CJ5 that was rusting away on my grandpa house with no tittle, got it for bassicaly free, that might become a long term projects for the backyard and follow the build plan (on a lighter duty since is shorter and lighter) that I had for the montero

About fitting an OM603 on a montero, T5 transmission works as there is a suitable bellhousing for it, but transfercase is where it get tricky...

Firewall need some room made and radiator either beeing sent to the rear or rebuilding the radiator mount. there would be almost no room behind the engine.

Im kind of moving out of doing it on this SWB and call it done as it is

p5pb19651767.jpg

OM is sold, tomorrow they come to pick it up, should be runing again in about a week, excited to be able to drive this thing again

Top Back Refresh