What's new

1984 K20 Dana 60 swap and suspension

If you cant find a hydro truck bell you can buy a bracket to adapt a normal bell to accept external slave.

With all the struggles of finding a daily driver I want, I might buy an NV4500 off a 95 4wd and swap it in instead of the SM465.

2 weeks today since my Dukes of Hazzard impression, my back is about 80% back to normal. Got out to the shop to do some cleaning yesterday but not much else. Received my hydro pedals from Texas last week so I can at least start making some progress again. Highs are in the 20's all week so not going to get a ton done this week, my shop heater doesn't quite hang when it's this cold.

20210214_102643.jpg

Rolled the old shitbox out in the snow to fix a wheel speed sensor on my daily. Drove it around the block, forgot the last time it got used it was driven through floorboard deep water and I'm pretty sure I was breaking ice in the axles as I was driving. My shitty sharpie drawing is on the other side.

My 75k BTU that I thought would be overkill definitely isn't. Being that my dumbass dumped diesel in it, it doesn't really like firing up around 0 degrees. Driving the truck just fueled the fire more, unfortunately buying a new daily and having to fix the pile of shit is sucking up all my truck build funds.

Still little progress on either truck. Debating on whether I should continue down the rabbithole of trying to swap springs or if I'd be a lot better off ordering a complete custom spring kit with shocks, shackles, crossover steering, etc from ORD for probably only a couple hundred bucks more than what I've got pieced together elsewhere. Shooting for wheeling this summer in some shape or form, even if it's on shitty 33" all terrains.

Finally tracked down a hydro bellhousing and a good column to swap into the '85. Once I can get that truck pretty well road ready I won't feel as bad about starting to strip down the mostly functional '84.

Got my hands on a column and a hydro bellhousing finally. Can maybe get the '85 roadworthy sooner rather than later. Found an NV4500 for a good price locally I'm going to try to pick up.

Picked up the NV4500 for $650 last night. Dude was telling me since it's replacing a TH400 I shouldn't even have to modify driveshaft length, crossmember or anything, can anyone confirm? The NP208 should bolt right up and I'm pretty sure the bellhousing I picked up should bolt right up too.

Measure the th400 from bellhousing face to trans mount location and compare it with the NV4500. If its the same you should be GTG crossmember wise.. Do the same thing from trans mount to tcase mounting flange on the back and compare those as well to see if the driveline matches up.

It would be pretty cool and make life easier for you if it's a match.

Measure the th400 from bellhousing face to trans mount location and compare it with the NV4500. If its the same you should be GTG crossmember wise.. Do the same thing from trans mount to tcase mounting flange on the back and compare those as well to see if the driveline matches up.

It would be pretty cool and make life easier for you if it's a match.
Unfortunately I traded the turbo 400 for the SM465 that's now useless so I'm not sure. I'm gonna start mocking things up soon just for fun. Turns out that bellhousing doesn't seem like it's gonna work without an adaptor of some type.

I have a ‘95 nv4500 bellhousing i’d Trade you for the sm465 one you have.

I have a ‘95 nv4500 bellhousing i’d Trade you for the sm465 one you have.
I need to figure out what I've got, I'm pretty clueless on this stuff. From what I gather there are 2 different style of NV4500's as far as the way the bellhousing mounts.

Advance Adaptors says the 92-95 is the smaller bolt pattern and should be the same as an SM465, so I'm guessing this is a 96+ with the larger bolt spread.

I hate to even ask this but... you 100% sure you got a chevy NV4500 and not the dodge version? could account for the different pattern since dodge used the same pattern as 96+ GM

I hate to even ask this but... you 100% sure you got a chevy NV4500 and not the dodge version? could account for the different pattern since dodge used the same pattern as 96+ GM
I'm pretty sure, isn't the Dodge input shaft a lot longer?

Attachments

• 20210501_113810.jpg
    20210501_113810.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 55
This is from memory so double check me but I think its just over 1 inch longer but the tip for pilot is also larger, its 3\4" vs GM that's just under 5\8 so if a 5\8 wrench goes over it its the GM.

This is from memory so double check me but I think its just over 1 inch longer but the tip for pilot is also larger, its 3\4" vs GM that's just under 5\8 so if a 5\8 wrench goes over it its the GM.
Is the T-case flange the same on both? Because the 208 off the th400 looks like it'll bolt right up. Haven't counted splines yet, guess I shouls probably do that.

Ok so it's an older GM NV4500, but the bellhousing is still different than the SM465. The widths are just far enough off.

Attachments

• 20210503_185324.jpg
    20210503_185324.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • 20210503_185340.jpg
    20210503_185340.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • 20210503_185519.jpg
    20210503_185519.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
Get a die grinder and egg out the bolt holes. Build up the mounting ears with nickle rod if you have to.

Thanks to Twankie I should have the bellhousing I need and he should have my hydraulic SM 465 belhousing in a couple days.

Once I've got the bellhousing I'm going to mock the trans up to get the hole cut for the shifter. Going to use whatever metal I cut out to try to patch up the holes it's got.

No real updates, got my bellhousing from Twankie so I can start at least mocking up the NV4500, still need to pinch some pennies for the rest of the install parts.

I've never been into an automotive transmission of any kind but I plan on rebuilding this NV4500 myself. I've rebuilt sequential motorcycle transmissions and Polaris SxS transmissions quite a bit so I'm confident I can figure it out. Anyone got a solid suggestion for a rebuild kit that won't cost an arm and a leg? I don't mind spending more for quality but I also don't want to get ripped off.

Still no progress sadly. Fun surprises around the house either taking up all my time or what little spare money I have. Keeping the cobwebs blown out of the '84 cleaning up storm damage around the house. '85 is still sitting minus trans/t-case and with the interior stripped out.

Attachments

• 20210626_162213.jpg
    20210626_162213.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 43
Still no real progress. Home with covid for the last week.

Did manage to almost shell the 208 in the '84 a few weeks ago. Took my truck to work because I planned on running it at some local dirt drag races, did a test hit on lunch. Sidestepped the clutch in 4 hi in granny gear, banged 1st and heard some popping. Guessing the chain was skipping. Needless to say I didn't run it, but I ran my bike and did okay. Second place in the ATV/Motorcycle class got me $160

Holy shit it's been a minute. I have made no actual progress. My project ADHD has got the best of me, then I hit a deer in my daily and the stars aligned for me to get something cool so the trucks go backburnered. I realized that trying to build 2 trucks is stupid and literally doubles the cost of everything.

So the '85 will get the axles swapped with the '84, I'll yank the 454 out. I've got a friend that will buy the truck as a roller, so that'll free up shop space. New plan is NV4500 swap into the '84, still want to do a doubler and build that truck essentially the same just with the NV4500 and have a spare 454 to have ready.

Here's what the '84 got kicked outside for.

Attachments

• camaro and truck.jpg
    camaro and truck.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 12
Top Back Refresh