What's new

1984 K20 Dana 60 swap and suspension

So dude ended up being a squarebody hoarder that's trying to cash in since these trucks have jumped in value. Didn't know what length the springs were, then decided to try to sell me a whole truck. Nah bro, I'm gonna have to just go buy new I guess. Sucks but at least I know what I'm working with.

Ok I'm needing some educated help. Looking into the 203/205 doubler, I'm completely ignorant. Looking at a writeup they mention the "range box" off of the NP203. My NP203 is just the cases and I don't believe has a range box on the front of it. So from what I gather I spent $150 on a chunk of scrap taking up space in my garage since the only piece it looks like you use from the 203 mine is missing. Damnit it sucks to be stupid....

The range box on a 203 is the first half of the transfer case that bolts normally to back of transmission, its the first 6 or 7" piece of the 203. You basically unbolt the front off the transfer case and then adapt it onto the front of the 205. It's there in your pic of the transfer cases

The range box on a 203 is the first half of the transfer case that bolts normally to back of transmission, its the first 6 or 7" piece of the 203. You basically unbolt the front off the transfer case and then adapt it onto the front of the 205.

Yeah I'm going to have to doublecheck when I get home but my dumb ass bought a bare 203 chain case I'm pretty sure, which does me no good whatsoever.

203 is on the jack and 205 is on the floor

Well that goes to show why I need this place, I'm too fuckin stupid to figure shit out. You are absolutely right and I've been assuming wrong the entire time. I told the guy he could keep the adaptor for the 205 because it was for a TH350, hence why the 205 is slim. Damnit I'm dumb but at least I didn't waste money like I thought I did.
20210119_175941.jpg

20210119_175954.jpg

Looks to be a 27 spline from an auto truck, which is fine, just another $150 to ORD for the correct input shaft

20210119_180337.jpg

So beyond swapping the input on the 203 range box, do I need to just use a 208 adaptor and redrill the range box to mate it to the SM465?

Patiently waiting for a pair for 56's to come available, going to get u-bolts and get the shackle flip kit on the way so I can get the rear axles swapped between the trucks. I've got about 15 different ways I can skin this cat but all of them take decent lump sums of money at a time that I have a hard time coming up with.

Had to spend money on grown up things and still no springs popping up around, so no progress. I did go out and play around with a sharpie for an hour on the RR of the truck, just to kinda get an idea of how I want to chop it up.
20210124_125733.jpg

20210124_124425.jpg

20210124_182037.jpg
Just spent about on hour on General Springs website getting some more modern vehicles for springs. 97-03 F150 is a 58.5x2.5 spring, 26.5 on the front side and 32 on the rear. 80-96 f150 is a 56x2.5 with 25 on the front side and 31 on the rear. I've found them less than 50 miles away for about $300 for all of em not even trying to beat them up.

Stock front springs are 23.5x23.5, so I figure if I run the 56" springs backwards from how they'd be mounted on the rear it should in theory push the axle forward 1.5 inches with just the spring. The 58.5 rear will push the axle back 1/2 depending on where I hang the rear shackle.

Kinda thought about some GM van springs on the rear too, but they're 30x30 so that will push the rear axle back too far unless I want to eliminate saddle tanks right away.

Pardon my shit handwriting.
20210124_182033.jpg

Dont forget that depending on spring length and pin location your front shackles can end up being a big pair of buck teeth to catch on everything your trying to drive over or through.

Dont forget that depending on spring length and pin location your front shackles can end up being a big pair of buck teeth to catch on everything your trying to drive over or through.

Yeah I've been trying to keep that in mind. Main reason I'm not going with 63s or 64s on the back.

Totaled my daily this morning so that's going to definitely put a hold on getting any parts soon.

I did my best Dukes of Hazzard impression, my body is not impressed. I hate the doctor but if I'm as useless tomorrow as I was today a visit might be in order.

I know how you feel. I don't go to the doctor but have wound up in the emergency room a couple of times:laughing:.

Good luck with the healing.

Jesus christ I've totaled a few motorcycles and wrecked them countless more times and I've never been fucked up this bad. Feels like every muscle between my hips and ribcage is pulled. I sneezed this morning and dropped to the ground. I've got vacation time so I'd rather wait it out then drop $500 at the ER for them to tell me I need a few days rest.
20210125_083121.jpg

20210126_203810.jpg

Well a slight bit of good news, I got an OE hydro pedal setup from an '87 coming to me from Texas, so I can finally make a little progress on the '85.

20210129_134901.jpg

20210129_134918.jpg

20210129_134929.jpg

Scene of the death of my daily. Didn't realizerealizped downhill. The driveway is about 8-10 to feet higher than my landing area (second pic you can see my driver's window and the holes in the mud) so I probably fell from 12-15 feet. Makes sense now that it feels like all my guts are broken. Today is the first day I feel ok with my decision to pass on the ER for now.

Anyone ever mess with ZF6 transmissions? There's one off of a 5.4 4x4 F250 on FB for $1000 right now. Wondering if it'd be mkre trouble than it's worth to try to swap that intk the tow pig instead of the SM465.

Top Back Refresh