What's new

1981 Pickup Build - Old Yeller

Here's a fun little update, been busy moving into my new place, comes with a 25'x40' shop so no more single car garage work for me. Which also means I cant use it as an excuse for any ghetto fab work :flipoff2:

82kDof0.jpg

I also managed to finish off the trucks windshield with a tree branch over the weekend, final destination style for extra points :homer:

5xa5sL9.jpg

kfb75wl.jpg

Was riding solo when it happened, only missed my pretty face by a few feet

Keep some space open for my truck in that shop. My wife is making me cage it 🙄 Also what's the plan for the windshield?

Keep some space open for my truck in that shop. My wife is making me cage it 🙄 Also what's the plan for the windshield?

I'll keep a spot for ya, you already got one roll in the books for that truck without a cage so I wouldn't got for a repeat :flipoff2:

I'm going to kick out the windshield and run it with goggles for summer, im used to no windshield from the buggy. When winter comes back around (or whenever I am tired of getting shit in the cab) I'll most likely make the windshield cross bars removable and pop a new one in if possible. If not, probably do something with a lexan sheet, but im not to keen on how easy it can scratch with dirt

37 bias Treps?

Have any idea what they measure out to for diameter at street pressure, but without the weight of the truck on them? Thanks!

4th of July Rubicon trip update, we went June 29th to July 3rd. Camped at Buck the entire trip and went out from there each day. Truck did good, the new tires were noticeably better than the last set I was running once I went down to ~10 psi. Went up with a decent sized group and had a good ol' fashion time.

Only a small amount of carnage, would have been way worse if my buddy didn't have a welder on his rig! He snapped his driveshaft on the way in on the trail before we even got to camp to set up. Pulled the pieces and pulled him the rest of the way in front wheel drive. Welded it back together and kept wheeling the rest of the trip no problem. Next was a broken leaf in my front driver leaf spring, wasn't a bad break so we hammered it back in place and taped her up and headed off to the springs to swim and up to cadillac. That run ended up breaking another leaf in the same pack, but this time it was the top main one. Welded it up the next morning and it made it all the way back out to the trailer.

Driving in
20210629_134246.jpg

20210629_134252.jpg
20210629_143441.jpg

20210629_161715.jpg

20210629_162617.jpg

My current 22R's 4th cylinder is at about 60% compression and burning oil after the Rubicon trip. Going to need a rebuild. Picked up a 22RE from a cool guy I met on the same Rubicon trip that didn't need it anymore, just needs to be gone through and freshend up cause it's been sitting for the past 6 years.

20210717_162107.jpg

I broke a leaf at hammers last year and hose clamped it. Those hold amazingly well, wheeled the rest of the week like that. I've always heard welding leafs back together was a waste of time, but I guess yours help up?
Edit: After I hose clamped them back together I borrowed a setup from another wheeler. 2 old shackles and a couple bolts and sandwiched them back together. Held the rest of the week. I now carry a similar setup. Works great. Always cook to see some actual wheeling pics. We did rubicon about a month ago and are hitting fordyce this weekend.

I broke a leaf at hammers last year and hose clamped it. Those hold amazingly well, wheeled the rest of the week like that. I've always heard welding leafs back together was a waste of time, but I guess yours help up?
Edit: After I hose clamped them back together I borrowed a setup from another wheeler. 2 old shackles and a couple bolts and sandwiched them back together. Held the rest of the week. I now carry a similar setup. Works great. Always cook to see some actual wheeling pics. We did rubicon about a month ago and are hitting fordyce this weekend.
I think the hose clamp and the pitman arm puller clamping down both helped out a lot, we had the welder already running for a different repair so we figured may as well hit the leaf also. I am going to pack a lot more hose clamps from now on, the shackles and bolts are a good idea, I have some spare shackles sitting around that I may bring along with some bolts on trips like these where youre way out away from the trailer. Out in the desert I bring spare leafs in the tow rig which is just a quick mission to camp and back, but on the Rubicon the tow rig is quite a ways away lol

Started pulling apart the 2nd 22RE, the insides looked pretty good, had some plastic chunks in the oil pan which a buddy told me that they're from the timing chain guides. Going to pull the head and do the head gasket since it's already this far taken apart and I want to get a better look in the cylinders

20210722_184145.jpg
20210722_185624.jpg
20210722_185632.jpg
20210722_194808.jpg
20210722_194824.jpg

I would drop the head off at a machine shop. Have them pressure check and check for flatness at the minimum. Cheap insurance.

More replacement 22r progress, its been moving slowly since each time we work on it we end up drinking and fucking around with the running crawlers :beer:

SvEM5DY.jpg

Timing chain guides were well intact, the bits in the oil pan must have been from the old ones

8GRf9hS.jpg

Still need to clean this up

WJ59I0k.jpg

New motor came with this PSC pump, cant find anything online about it or any rebuild kits, anyone have a lead on one or know anything about it? I emailed PSC but they haven't responded to me yet and its been weeks lol
UNq5xiD.jpg

fFvxqwm.jpg

37 bias Treps?

Have any idea what they measure out to for diameter at street pressure, but without the weight of the truck on them? Thanks!
Sorry for the late response, just had the tires off and grabbed a measurement, but not really at street pressure, reads 36" exactly at 9psi, my compressor ain't working at the moment other than my dinky little car one

Attachments

• 20210924_173938.jpg
    20210924_173938.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
Sorry for the late response, just had the tires off and grabbed a measurement, but not really at street pressure, reads 36" exactly at 9psi, my compressor ain't working at the moment other than my dinky little car one

That's awesome, thank you!

I flat out LOVE bias Treps and I'll own a set one day.

Welp, sheared my passenger side knuckle steering arm pin. Luckily it was down in the riverbed behind our property. Winched the front of the truck up onto the ass end of our deuce and a half and drug it back up to the property. No pics of that unfortunately

88dh67H.jpg

Rio29tm.jpg

Was going to go with the 25mm marlin upgrade but they were out of stock. Well, their website says they're in stock, but after processing my order they emailed saying that they wont be in stock for "a few weeks to a few months" :shaking::shaking: I needed the truck going sooner than whatever that time period would have been, so I went with the 6 shooter knuckles from TG, probably the better of the two options but a bit more $$$

Baby knuckles
IUnQoQi.jpg

6 Chooters
ULksvhc.jpg

ghjqu6Z.jpg

Also cut my backing plates for a ghetto backing plate eliminator
d2ipJwq.jpg

Y4sL6Qq.jpg

Replacement motor news:
Got it pretty close to being ready to swap in, hoping to do it pretty soon, before the first desert trip of the season at least. Also had my tattoo artist buddy paint the valve cover. Told her to go wild just no rainbows or dicks, think she did a pretty tits job :beer:

kHiY7KT.jpg

RKS64zG.jpg

J0fqR2b.jpg

And yes, the motor obviously likes to party :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Last edited:
6 shooters alone won't help with what you broke. The trunion eliminators will though. Imo, they're superior to the bearings. They only go back and forth 40* so a roller bearing isn't necessary.

6 shooters alone won't help with what you broke. The trunion eliminators will though. Imo, they're superior to the bearings. They only go back and forth 40* so a roller bearing isn't necessary.
A guy I know runs the 6 shooters and says he never needs to re-torque his studs, even with 40" tires, which made me lean towards the 6 shooters. Although i will be checking them every trip like usual. I looked into the trunnion eliminators, and was going to order a set and use them with the marlin highsteer arms but found that the arms used different sized pins so they wouldn't work together. Eventually ill go with the trunnion eliminators since I hate dealing with the bearings and now have compatible arms

You didn't break the studs though, you broke the pin? You can break the pin off with the studs are torqued down.
Fairly uncommon for that to happen though. My regular wheeling group are full body rigs on 40s with toy axles and they've yet to break a trunion.

Top Back Refresh