What's new

1978 Datsun 6x6 Build(t)

Member Number
I made a purchase in 2020 that was probably as bad as a decision as buying a boat. This truck was originally customized over a 6 year period in the 80s. I actually looked at purchasing this in 2018, but that seller was asking too much. I also had no skills to take on such a headache. By shear dumb luck I found it two years later for sale from a different guy. (I'm sure this thing has passed hands so many times with zero love)

The truck was featured in a couple of magazines in the early 90s (I'll post them for your reading pleasure)

20240111_063236.jpg
20240111_063258.jpg
20240111_063336.jpg
20240111_063412.jpg
20240111_063527.jpg
20240111_063604.jpg
20240111_063736.jpg

There is a lot of fun history with this truck, my whole plan is to continue making memories with. I've done several camping trips, and off road trips with it. As you can imagine the more I use something this old, and this custom things tend to break. I've rebuilt the engine, gone through the seals and fuilds in all the axles. Some of them needing a lot of attention. Built a fuel tank, relocated the spare.
20221216_155753.jpg
20230917_175122.jpg
20231206_193849.jpg

Currently I'm redoing the front spring setup. Hopefully it'll ride a little better. Future plans are to add power steering. (If anyone has a universal steering colum they'd recommend it would be helpful. So would some buick power steering brackets. )

I was hoping to replace the front axle with a toyota fj60 axle. But I wasn't able to find one. My end goal is to completely replace all the axles but the front is my main priority.

I'll keep replying to this post as I continue to upgrade this truck. I know it probably deserved to rust into the ground after 40 years. But it's way too much fun to keep it going.

I like the idea on what they did to make it 6x6. At first glance I assumed the rear axle would have no power going to it.

Hold up. That looks like 6x6 620 that's made the rounds over and over. Last I knew, it was near here in Springfield or Branson Missouri.

Good way to appreciate all the technological advancements over the decades.
Buying an old build from the Era was a real, what the heck were they thinking with this😂 and sometimes it's like. They were 20 years ahead of everyone 😶

Hold up. That looks like 6x6 620 that's made the rounds over and over. Last I knew, it was near here in Springfield or Branson Missouri.
I went and looked at it in 2018 in Branson, then at somepiont it was sold and moved to a town in southwest Missouri.

1/4 elliptical suspension is a great example of both ends of that spectrum.
I've been thinking of changing that, it works really good so far with a lot of travel between the two axles. But it doesn't like twisting at all. My thought was to make a smaller version of a deuce and half suspension.

I've been thinking of changing that, it works really good so far with a lot of travel between the two axles. But it doesn't like twisting at all. My thought was to make a smaller version of a deuce and half suspension.
Ha I totally glanced over the fact this one had 1/4 elliptical. It was just the first example I could think of to show tech advances over the years.

On the one hand, it's good to see that some of these magazine trucks actually got used over the years instead of just being trailer queens. On the other hand, it is a little sad to see something that had so much work put into it get beaten up. Mind you, I think this one fared pretty well over the years from what I can see. I'm not sure what prompted someone to think the flat black paint job was an improvement, though.

I remember seeing pictures of Soni Honneger's War Wagon in the early 2000s and it was totally beat and parts scavenged off of it. I searched a bit, but couldn't find those pictures any more. It looks like someone was doing a restoration of it about a decade ago, but I can't find how that turned out. That truck was one of the ones that really stood out for me in the magazines as - at the time - it was purpose built instead of the sky-high chrome shock stuff that filled the magazines of the day.

On the one hand, it's good to see that some of these magazine trucks actually got used over the years instead of just being trailer queens. On the other hand, it is a little sad to see something that had so much work put into it get beaten up. Mind you, I think this one fared pretty well over the years from what I can see. I'm not sure what prompted someone to think the flat black paint job was an improvement, though.

I remember seeing pictures of Soni Honneger's War Wagon in the early 2000s and it was totally beat and parts scavenged off of it. I searched a bit, but couldn't find those pictures any more. It looks like someone was doing a restoration of it about a decade ago, but I can't find how that turned out. That truck was one of the ones that really stood out for me in the magazines as - at the time - it was purpose built instead of the sky-high chrome shock stuff that filled the magazines of the day.
This one was beat down terribly, sat for years. I got into cars doing body work, so i really know when something isnt worth the time. the entire cab and bed is unsavable besides the fiberglass rear half. Alough it is now 40 years old glass. I replaced plans, bottom of doors, bottom of fenders. Which is really just to hold it over for a decade while I gather more fresh oe parts. This truck saw alot of snow and the body didn't fair well. Luckily the frame was thick steel and coated well. Wiring was a disaster and engine was shot. All the tires were multiple different brands and sizes haha. It truly needed a frame off restoration to save it.

I did indeed commit the sin of the flat black😈 it's actually rustoleum turbo paint job. With the bed liner. It looks fairly decent if you like that look. And unlike actual bed liner, it's sandable. But still tough enough to resist pin stripes. All my wheeling is in southern missouri and Northern Arkansas. Which is extremely brushy and far too many trees. While I prefer real paint. I'm constantly modifying this and replacing peices. And this stuff blends so easily. It's too practical for me not to use it.

I agree with your points about practical builds not being showcased enough. Alot of my friends scoffed at the whole idea of this truck when I first started working on it. But the first camping trip with 4 people sitting comfortably, multiple tents, coolers, all the camping gear. Easily tackling jeep trails. Very nice when an idea is worthwhile.

I'm still torn about completely re-amping this truck, it would turn it into something else entirely. So much so it really makes more sense to start fresh, with a completely different truck. But then you only have one ass, do you just let this one continue to rot?

Front suspension update:

I never did like the way the front suspension was set up. I always felt like the front leaf being up at an angle made the bumps feel much worse.
20220603_202712.jpg

The bushings were worn, and I want to redo the steering. I figured I might as well throw in setting up the leafs

20240122_133638.jpg

Old set up, I'm not sure why they didn't go for putting the shackle through the frame. Maybe they thought it was too much work, which I kinda agree. This isn't the form to discuss the pros and cons of reverse vs front shackle. I'm of the opinion that both work great when set up correctly.

The frame of these trucks are not set up for leafs, so I'd need some big stingers on the front. Which I don't like doing. And drilling the frame is a pain cause it's not a parallel. Also when looking at it front shackles just looked like they would work.
20240203_162259.jpg

I'm not sure I could build anything without lasers. They make this sort of thing a breeze. Finding common points on the frame and then transferring lines to the concrete with chalk lines is how I do everything on a vehicle.
20240202_193049.jpg

Setting the rear spring mount.
20240203_184531.jpg

I was originally going to try and use some yj springs I got from a guy. I figured the engine was only small v6, and it's "mini truck" but I completely forgot the pivot point of all this weight was like 12 feet away. The truck as a whole weighs 4,700 lbs.
But the springs that were on the truck were almost exactly the same arch and length. So all maths/shackles would work.
20240205_175455.jpg

Speaking of maths:
It seems like a lot of people say any formula you use will just get you close enough. A lot of people eye ball it. Here is what I used.

Correct shackle size based on springs:

●Flatten leaf length-arch length= shackle length
In my case the shackle is 3.125"

Correct hanger placement based on springs and shackles

●Flatten leaf length-shackle length+0.5in= hanger placement

This truck is something I need to handle very safely on the road. While also performing off-road. So I didn't want to try and have 5 or 6 in shackles with crazy amount of droop. The theory of these formulas is they give the spring full range of motion.
20240211_094729.jpg

20240211_094717.jpg

I built some spring perches that are basically anti-wrap perches you'd see available on barnes,,

I set the caster angle to 7. From what I've found between 6 and 8 is what everyone shoots for. I haven't seen any math that backs anything behind what angle you should pick. I've driven vehicles that have less than 6 and see why you don't do that haha.

Everything seems to flex well and everything is centered nicely. I'm tackling heim steering now. Can't wait to take ot for a spin and feel exactly the same 😂

Attachments

• 20240210_135308.jpg
    20240210_135308.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
Steering NIGHTMARE.
The crossover steering project from hell.

This truck still has the factory manual steering box to push around these 33in tires. I wheeled it for about a year and it's really not that bad. Power steering is in the plans, and I should've done it along with this cross over steering. But it wasn't in the cards.

Interestingly enough, the original builder of this truck had it written in his noted to tackle the no power steering issue. He never got around to it. Because it is anything but easy. The manual steering box is connected directly to the column like a tractor. So if you want a power steering box. You'll need to modify the original steering Column, or buy a universal type. It's no easy task to do any of that.

The power steering pump brackets for a buick 231 odd fire are very rare, and there is no space in the engine bay, it would take a lot of thinkin. The power steering box would have to be an outside frame mount unit, with the pitman arm going out towards the front of the vehicle. It's a lot, I don't want this truck to be down for another season of prime camping weather. So power steering will be a, next winter type project.

The steering joints were completely worn out so I knew I had to address them. I probably could've just replaced the tie rod ends. But I had a perfectly good heim steering kit that hasn't been used on the shelf.
20240219_184600.jpg

I really only like using heims in a double sheer application, so modifying the knuckles were first up. These little dana 27 knuckles are now truly beefed up.
20240303_194227.jpg

20240306_211726.jpg

I thought the crossover steering would be simple on this thing, but immediately the steep angle of the drag link had me worried. It was at 15 degrees, but I've seen 3 link set up with just as much angle and they are fine. My truck however had bump steer. I moved the mount location and the drag link was at 10 degrees, and nothing changed. Bump steer crazy. I didn't believe the angle was entirely at fault because the pitman arm being behind the tie rod was suspicious...

This is the only way I could explain myself..
20240307_105858.jpg

(Sorry for child drawings) The set up looked just like the middle diagram. My theory was that because the axles moves forward when the suspension cycles up and the drag link is already behind the tierod, it pulls the drag link. moving the steering wheel to the passenger side. This is exactly what the truck did. Because this is manual steering, there is nothing stopping the bumps transferring through to the wheel. So bump steer is very obvious. But the return to center was just as fast, so it would track very straight. I was almost fine with this, but I wanted to to see if I could remedy this problem.

Also the Internet is flooded with 3 link and trac bar problems. I didn't find anyone talking about this issue. Maybe it's obvious, it looked very wrong for sure.

The Solution:
20240324_175634.jpg

20240324_175622.jpg

Obviously the solution is to move the steering box forward, or changing the steering box to where the pitman arm is pointing towards the front. Those two things weren't options for me so I devised a way to make an idler arm work.
20240324_185603.jpg

So while this adds more pieces to the puzzle, it does a great job at moving the drag link to a correct location, and making the draglink angle very low. This works like a charm, bump steer is almost nonexistent, and because this thing is manual steering it's very obvious if it does have it.
20240324_185423.jpg

Overall this whole thing has been quite the learning experience and hopefully someone else will benefit from this mess. Bump steer, death wobble, and wondering on the road really gives off-road vehicles a bad wrap. This truck has zero death wobble, no bump steer, and tracks just as straight as brand new cars. A 6 wheeled mess.

Hopefully by this time next year I'll be testing power steering set ups. But for now, it's arm day every day in this truck💪🏽

Attachments

• 20240324_185432.jpg
    20240324_185432.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240305_200311.jpg
    20240305_200311.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 2
Top Back Refresh