What's new

1978 Arctic Cat El Tigre

This past weekend and a little of this weeks update so far I’ve installed both clutch’s, exhaust, intake , cdi , coil and still messing with finding the correct fan belt pretty sure I have the correct size coming also picked up a standard belt from the hardware store it’s close fit probably keep as a spare in the trunk .

Tomorrow I’ll get the carb mounted and put on new caps for the plugs I’m still waiting on the fuel line I ordered parts are coming in slow because of the holidays. Here’s a list of the current stuff I’ve put on and still waiting to show up I’m also shipping back the wrong belt I ordered.

I played the jetting game with the eBay carb it came with a unmarked pilot so I took the pilot from the original free air engine carb the eBay carb also came with a 128 main jet I kinda figured it would be a gamble so I ordered that jet kit I used a 300 from the kit the eBay carb needle has 34 on it not sure exactly what that crosses over to but I’ll run it for now as the needle I have that the fan engine calls for is shit I’ll probably have to get a needle I’ll see how it goes first.
I also made a little plate to mount the fuel pump the single pump is smaller than the duel outlet pump.

Here’s a list and a few pics

eBay vm34 carb $38.17
eBay main jet kit 210-310 $11.30
POD filter $21.87
Single outlet fuel pump $ 11.55 ebay
New carb boot slp 2 each $33.81 1 spare
New fuel line eBay $19.76 ten feet
Fan belt eBay $ 11.93
Fan belt local hardware store $ 6.29
IMG_9214.jpeg
IMG_9212.jpeg

We celebrated Xmas today my better half works tomorrow so not much done today but so far this week I put the engine shroud on mounted the carb , installed the primary clutch been taking some measurements there okayish I’ll probably just toss a belt on and see how it goes . I’m still waiting on fuel line and a fan belt also need to hook the carb up and clean up the cable routing I should get that done tomorrow also I forgot to post a pic of the rear shock and idler wheel I was pissing with a few weeks back so here’s a few pics of where I’m at.

Merry Christmas everyone have a great evening
IMG_9190.jpeg
IMG_9240.jpeg

I’ve made some progress over the holidays the engine runs decent has about 120psi in each hole. I had to pull the engine back out and modify the original engine plate to use with this 440 fan engine to get the clutches to play nice the fan engine plate had the engine shifted slightly inboard.

I’ve been messing with this eBay china knock off mikuni carb I have a true mikuni needle on order along with a pilot jet kit that should get me where I need to be then I can get the clutching dialed in I swapped to the comet primary that was on the original free air engine the clutch that came with the 440 fanner has a few issues I may mix and match some parts between the two first need to get the fuel delivery and carb more happier.

I was having fuel issues with the tank the fitting was cracked I glued it but that only last for a bit new fitting should be here soon . I ran it on a gravity tank and found the belt off my 79 exciter 440 is a good fit so I ordered up one of those it’s not much of a difference between the size belt that this sled calls for but the exciter belt being slightly larger I think will work better worse case scenario I have a new spare for my other sled the one in the trunk I’m using now is kinda aged.

I’m trying to get this eBay carb to work worse case scenario there I use one of the carbs from the original engine I was kinda keeping them for a bike project down the line but it did seem to run better when I tried one and I may have more luck tuning one of those once the parts show up. Anyhow on with a pic and if I can get a video posted

Parts ordered
Belt lmx1106 $24.90 eBay
Pilot jet kit $13.75 eBay
Mikuni needle $17.37 eBay
Fuel tank fitting $16.96 ebay

Last edited:
It’s been a shady winter here I did manage to get a ride around the house today before the snow melts again. I thought my main problem was the carb turns out my throttle kill switch is intermittent thru throttle travel and of course not all the time just enough to fuck with me.

I ordered up a cdi thinking it was the issue when I ohmed it out compared to the original one from the free air engine . I got a good deal on eBay there’s not many out there for sale so I’m ok with having a spare I actually have a spare for my exciter for the same reason I did see there’s plenty of new and a few used stator plates on eBay but as of now my stator ohms out good.

I bypassed my switch’s on my bars buy jumping brown and black on the harness and was then getting good spark thru throttle travel ohm out the throttle switch it would close thru different ranges of throttle travel but not all time or in the same spot I adjusted the cable several times and no luck so it’s just disconnected until I find a deal on one

The eBay carb still needs minor tweaks maybe leaner pilot and main jet I did get and install the correct needle and it’s just below the top grove so far it’s pulling good running 20 pilot and 280 main just maybe a little rich or loaded up from the intermittent spark issue.

The headlight switch was crap also so I put in a toggle a guy did have both the kill and headlight switch on fb marketplace but I balked at his price and now kinda need both but maybe find something local done tge road as for now I’m going to tape the seat for now add a better hood cable and get the carb more dialed in when it snows again.

Here’s a pic and the parts I’ve added

eBay CDI Arctic cat 3005-066 $44.23
Hood cable hardware, black tape , brake pin clip, from hardware store $12.04
IMG_9546.jpeg

Last edited:
Well winter still sucks here the UP is getting snow again the trails showed dirt for the vintage ride I usually go to last weekend glad I didn’t go. So I’ve been getting a drip from the chain case not a real issue mostly annoying. I ordered up the case cover gasket and bearing o-ring it took awhile usps was slow last week. I did find it was leaking from the fill level plug o well opened it up to check things out.

I found the gears to not be running true end up pulling the shim from the top and added a shim on the bottom gear . There was evidence someone was in there before the tensioners had been flipped over and a nail used for a cotter pin .

I also replaced the handle bar kill switch got a new one from eBay spi I believe . I also taped up the seat for now and stitched up the windshield that had been previously taped up. I’m still having a fuel pickup issue thinking of weighting the line with a fitch fuel catalyst might do it or add a little extra weight need to investigate further still.Also added a belt holder to the belt guard .

I’m going to get my papers in order for getting a vintage registration so I’ll be ready for next year this season is a bust.

Spi kill switch ebay $ 25.64
Belt holder eBay $ 8.47
Case cover oring eBay $18.01
Lower bearing oring eBay $ 7.37
Lower gear shim local store $0.40
IMG_9576.jpeg
IMG_9617.jpeg
IMG_9616.jpeg

Top Back Refresh