What's new

1972 F-250 2wd to 4wd build

rockota

white collar hillbilly
Member Number
What is this 'done' you speak of?
:smokin:

Next item is to recover the seat, or a different seat, or recover a different seat. That would more or less complete phase 3 (of 3) of the build. But phase 4 would include;
  • Rear locker
  • full length sliders
  • rear bumper extensions
  • Primary fuel tank protection
  • 2nd fuel tank
  • fix rear main seal (pull motor)
  • Improved steering linkage/high steer knuckle mod
  • ?
extra interweb points if you find an old Pape 1/2 sleeper.

1648586665278.png

rattle_snake

Fuckwits
Member Number
Loc
Chandler, AZ
A/C season has started. The fan switch in my 72 ford that I 'refurbished' started having issues on high speed so I figured I would rewire for 2 reasons. Off load the high current and isolate magnetic field collapse back voltage spike. When fan is turned off, the energy stored in magnetic field has to go somewhere, and generates a high negative voltage, perhaps enough to arc across open switch terminals. Had same issue with A/C clutch, it fried the other HVAC switches for same reason.

The fuse box was also badly thermally damaged so I had added a relay and dedicated HVAC power supply to remove high current from it and factor harness. So phase 2 was to do similar for switch. This required 3 relays, one for each fan speed but can remove the existing one. Graphed the relays into the HVAC wire harness but still having issues with high speed. Dooh, too late I guess.
:homer:

rattle_snake

Fuckwits
Member Number
Loc
Chandler, AZ
Took the truck out in the desert just to screw around and do some testing. It was over 100* so a workout for cooling and A/C systems. Both did fine. Cruise at 70 is loud in cab even after all the sound control, mostly wind noise even with everything sealed up tight. Turns about 2700 RPM at 70.

Was getting a lot of banging noises that I thought was front bump stop contact. So I removed the lower bump spacers to make sure that was not the case. Noises persisted. So decided not to beat on the truck, no 2nd vehicle and pretty much no one else out in the area. So played with R/C crawlers on some large rock formations and called it a day.

Picket post mtn
nWJPseOpEo6wodyFp80V8lLTr=w1139-h854-no?authuser=0.jpg

Racked the truck and did a thorough inspection of the entire front end. Bushing, heims, brakes so on.
nUCISNQbXSZD9CKxT3sEs5j9L=w1139-h854-no?authuser=0.jpg

What I did find is that the cab is contacting the transfer case. I had moved the engine down and back for A/C, and the pocket I had sectioned out of the cab floor crossmember is no longer sufficient.
Have a few options to resolve. Can't drop trans mount much as front drive flange and yolk are already tight to the trans crossmember. Cab does need to go up at the back a bit so might as well take care of that now. Grind the rest as needed.
EHCT66LoMwqwE-KPJcGpbE4L3B=w641-h854-no?authuser=0.jpg

The good news is that I'm not hitting the bumps like I thought and uptravel limit is not that bad. Still going to do out-boarded bump cans and improve the setup, but probably don't need to cut up the fenders to get the performance I want.