What's new

The indecisive 1967 f250

Yup, having a service truck with a crane at your disposal sure does suck. :laughing:

400 to fix the heads isn't a bad price either. Sure beats buying a new set.

For sure, i dont drive mine everday but i went up to the shop on saturday to rebuild a steering ram for a tractorm (my dad broke it) then took my truck down and installed the ram and thought what the hell ill pull that engine real quick.

Ill admit, being spoiled with the truck makes it real hard to do anything without it..

And for sure, fe engines the aftermarket options are real expensive, like 700 bucks a head.

Me and the guy i bought the 68 and two engines off of where arguing about which engine is better. My engine in 67 came with 208 hp on a 2 barrel carb. The 400 is 158hp on a 2 barrel. i really hope this block is good cause i really dont want to use either of those 400m engines

Did not tear the block down today.

I asked about some old telephone poles at work and it snowballed into me taking a semi and trailer home loaded with poles

Combined with I fought a 6.7 cummins today, and fought a cm876 regen issue and i was over engines lol

Tore it down to the rotating assembly. It might have jumped time and allowed me to bend the pushrods

i tore it down to a bare block today. all the bearings were worn through the out layer and into the copper, i had 3 spun connecting rod bearings. The crank looks good but those rod journals are chooted

maybe...maybe i should have pulled the distributor and primed the oil system before i fired it up after sitting for 27 years? Shit i changed the oil on it in 2007 so oil hadnt poured of the rockers in 12 year either...Learning things yall

noticed some odd machining, that i have head baout before, on the main bearing journals. They just didnt give a fuck back then huh?

the cam was...ok one lobe was roaded down but it didnt correlate with a hole with another damage. the thrust plate was held in with phillips head screws both mostly rounded already.

It goes to the machine shop tomorrow. And we will go from there.
3F82D41E-C097-447F-AFB8-385EA9CA9D47.jpeg
05981D41-8B2F-4E30-85A0-BBCC921B694C.jpeg

Machine shop called me today, it was already bores 30 over. Cylinders need cleaned up from rusting. They are gonna try 40 over and if it doesn’t work going to 60 over.
Block deck, block boiled and shot blasted. 700$

pistons are about 170$ heads need work about 300 worth rods bearing and other misc shit. I’d say I’m gonna be into it for about 1500

or for 1500 on top of the 1000 in block and head machining I can make it a 445 stroker.
Since my long game is to use a turbo I’ll stick with basic machining

my compression ratio will be about 9:1 perfect for keeping it together and probably make about 450hp or so.

I did find a 428 up in Iowa for about 1200 bucks but the condition is unknown other than what seller says and the parts in that size hold a value that make it SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive

Last edited:
I did not weld that brake rod..my dad did when he was in HS and yea i did just reinstlal it until i can find another one. Intake photo is because the coolant bypass on my intake is rusted really bad and for 40 bucks i didnt need to drill and tap mine...
I have stock booster with mc off my 68 2wd F250 you can have if you pay for shipping.

update. engine is still in the machine shop because up until now i dont need to get it out. i have been accumlating parts. but now my hand has been forced. We are moving shops at work and i would like to take my stuff out of all the shit we are moving. everyone has a home project parts strapped down to pallets but its gone on too long. So hopefully end of this month early next month the engine will be back together.

In the mean time i scored a dana 60 front and rear for free. My thoughts is the very much so rougher 68 would fulfill my child hood redneck dreams of a "highboy" even though its not and its the wrong year range. The parts i want from that truck are not going to make inoperable and for what i want to do wont matter. and that truck is not inhabited by my dad or my siblings, i can do what ever the fuck i want.

the 68 has a destroyed engine also BUT my company is selling a old gmc box truck, 84 i think, and it has a 3408 cat and a 5 speed..i might do some bastarding to have a 3408 random gear box think its a 5 speed, danas and a np205. Ill put the bed roll bar on and kc lites on later.

I should have the 67 on the road in early november. and then ill move on to cab sheet metal, radio ac ..turbos if i feel like it still, TBI EFI around christmas and then thatll be done other than paint.

forgot to add. Im going to run a 390 crank, 352 bored over 60, cant remember rod length at the moment. Should put me around 400ci. Stock heads, 4 barrel intake. Gonna do the oil mods

machine shop called today. told me i had the wrong pistons. I ordered 4.050 pistons because my bore will be 4.050. He said they are too small i need 40 over pistons for a 360

40 over 360 piston is 4.090 so i asked what would my bore be after it was bored 40 over, he said 4.050

Then a several phone call argument about what engine it actually was. Gave him cast numbers off rod (crank has been trashed it ws fucked) 352/360/390 all used the same rod and i know this.

Difference is bore and stroke

Then he told me it depended on compression height. the pistons i bought are 1.760 for a 390...im doing a bore and stroke upgrade

told me that 1.76 was a 390 and 1.66 was 360. My pistons had a casting number in them (597p) which is a 1.55 compression height (a 352 piston)

So they are going to order pistons that "fit", which are cheaper than the ones that i bought

Because my pistons just fall in

I did ask him what the bore was currently at 4.048

So my 4.050 pistons will fit but im gonna let him fuck himself

he thinks i brought him a 360 which its STOCK bore is 4.050 :lmao: Not sure how a block gains material of the years but its happened folks

picked up the block on friday, and the pistons he ordered they are 4.090 pistons. i think they made a boo boo but the pistons were cheaper soo i saved 40 bucks on pistons and paid an extra 21$ on rings...

but i have a bigger engine

brings in other possibilities though. i can stroke the engine for about 1400$ (current bore would put me at 434 Ci stroke ) but charging the engine later will be harder. I can buy a stock 390 crank, reuse my rods for about 300$ and put that money towards a efi system. that would make it easier to charge the truck also the lower compression ratio would make it easier to charge.

ill make the crank decision this week, really leaning 390 crank. Need to do some research on the strength of my rods. Upgraded 6.48 (or 6.49 as they sometimes come up_) are quite more expensive than using a 6.70 rod with the appropriate crank

If i stay stock stroke ill have a 397Ci engine

i ordered a NP435 rebuild kit from wild horses and will be rebuilding that likely next weekend. I did see wild horses has a shifter relocator that adds a short throw ish to it. Trail Edition Gear Banger Complete Kit

id haft to have bucket seats possible but i like this alot
a video of the setup

Honestly I wish someone would of talked you or of wasting money on a very tired old FE. You’d be worlds ahead with the 429 in every aspect . Those trucks don’t hold much value so keeping them original doesn’t really hurt anything .

I don't like that shifter style. It takes Subarus ~100k to get wallowed out with rubber bushings to take up the misalignment and polite car style shifting. No rubber so it's metal on metal from the get-go and I wouldn't expect it to last very long without substantially larger pivots.

Honestly I don't see hwy they didn't just use small PTO sized U joints for that.

Honestly I wish someone would of talked you or of wasting money on a very tired old FE. You’d be worlds ahead with the 429 in every aspect . Those trucks don’t hold much value so keeping them original doesn’t really hurt anything .
I didnt really want to keep the FE but i saw the glimmer in my dads eye die when i mentioned a engine swap. Sooo

i do have another truck a f100 remember? im going to finish this one out and do something wild with the other one. This one im just going to do some updates and leave it at that. EFI, ac and some kind of charging...i kinda want to convert it to 4wd and put a mild lift on it.

The f100 i want to do something wild i dont know..maybe the new 7.3 will be cheaper ina few years and i can godzilla swap it...

I would love to coyote swap my f100 but they’re too expensive it has a cammed 5.3 LS in its future I think . Tired of working on it just want to hop in and go

Reactions: A_G
I would love to coyote swap my f100 but they’re too expensive it has a cammed 5.3 LS in its future I think . Tired of working on it just want to hop in and go
A month or so back i went pretty far down the coyote swap idea. I settled with the only cheap-ish way to do it was buy a wrecked mustang or f150 and just steal everything. There is a company that sells cross members and another that will strip the harness...

BUT i have ids, fdrs and forscan i can turn pats off...so i dont need it stripped and turned off. I mathed it out to like 4-5k to coyote and 6 speed swap it...but thats loose...thats just to get the major components .

I agree that’s the only way to go which requires a shop or outdoor space to store it which I don’t have the luxury of anymore ! It would be an amazing swap though !

ordered 390 crank from survival motorsports. main studs and rod bolts. Ill save a grand by using a stock crank. I put that money in heads, turbo. or efi.

i still need to order intake, finish head work (or buy new heads), distributor. Crank and rod bearings, cam, timing chain. Rebuild carb or go efi

in the same order 438$, 400 (1800 for new heads), 200-400, 100, cam and timing chain are probably going to be a kit with springs 300-400. and finally 40-1000

ill be buying timing set next, deciding on cam and running the numbers on heads.

so far ive spent
725 on machine work
250 on crank
main studs and rod bolts 100
np435 rebuild kit 165$
cam bearings, freeze plugs, pistons and rings 300$
gasket kit 100

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh