What's new

1957 Vintage Camper Refurb

maveric

Squirrel Spotter
Member Number
Loc
NW Colorado
Was going to put this in the tow rig / trailer section, but thought it would fit better here.

My wife has wanted an old canned ham camper for a few years now. I didn't really want one, but after looking at prices of smaller campers last year, they started looking more appealing. We had a small pop-up tent trailer, and our 53' hauler, but wanted something small to get into tighter area, and wanted a hard sided trailer so we didn't have to tear it down and set up every time we moved.

Found a 1957 Jewel 15' trailer about 10 min from home posted on FB, it was in decent shape, and they were asking $800. Checked sale ads on similar trailers and decided that even if we didn't want it, we could sell it for more than we paid for it.

1.jpg
8.jpg
10.jpg
14.jpg

Last edited:
The exterior was in decent shape, no holes or tears, and was complete.

The interior was also in really good shape. The previous owners had cut the closet down and added a heater, but other than some water damage, the inside was mostly original.
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
29.jpg
31.jpg

The original plan was to pull the metal off the sides and fix the wood that had rotted out, fix up a couple things, and use it as is.

33.jpg
35.jpg
36.jpg
37.jpg
39.jpg
42.jpg

After removing the inner cabinets, back splash, and counter tops, was able to get to the rotted wood on the side wall above the sink. The water had been running from the roof vent, along the roof to the wall. The board was completely rotted out. Cut out the rot and rebuilt that section of the wall.

Wired the street side wall with new 110v wire and added a 12v system.
51.jpg

Also remade new wall braces for the front and rear lower walls since they were starting to rot as well.

53.jpg

While the skins were off, added some additional bracing in the walls to support the new closet.

55.jpg

After making the walls solid, started on updating the water and electrical systems.

Replaced the old sheet metal water tank with a new poly tank. Since there is nothing more than a single sink, opted for a compromise between large water capacity and weight. Went with 10 gallons. Enough to get us a day or 2 boondocking. We can always carry a couple 5 gallon water jugs and refill if needed.
45.jpg

The original design had a hand pump for water to the sink, and a city water connection to the faucet. The hand pump did not work, and I wanted to be able to use the faucet without being hooked to a water source. Added a 12v low pressure inline pump, and a drain.
47.jpg

Since the electric was all new, I added a new 2 breaker 110v box, 12v fuse block for all interior systems, and a solar charge controller. These are mounted under the bed and lower cabinet under the sink. Also opted for a power distribution box for all trailer wiring so all connections are inside out of the elements.
57.jpg

The solar panel will charge the battery directly through the controller, and for the nights we stay at a campground, the 12v battery charger/tender runs off shore power.
65.jpg

Fixed a spot at the jamb of the door that was soft. Cut out the floor, scabbed in some bracing, and re-sheeted the step area.
58.jpg

The original insulation used was MAYBE 3/16" thick. Not much to it. For the sides and back, used 1.25 foam board. For the front and the roof, used batting.
59.jpg

61.jpg

After insulating the sides, reattached the sheet metal. Ended up removing the roof metal to replace the rotted board around the roof vent. After insulating and reattaching roof skin (which was a bitch trying to get it to fit in the original position), replaced and sealed a new roof vent in place.
60.jpg

62.jpg

Replaced the old back splash with painted bead board. Was not the original plan, but it appears that finding period correct flooring, counter tops, and back splash material is quite challenging. Tinted the color to get it close to the stove and ice box.
63.jpg

Since the closet had been cut down, there was marks and nail holes where the upper portion used to be. Had a new upper cabinet made. It is not an exact match, but I believe close enough to work.
48.jpg

Original cabinets on other side.
49.jpg

New cabinet hung up.
66.jpg

68.jpg

At this point, the interior went mostly back together.

73.jpg

75.jpg

74.jpg

The wife was able to find a combination of shellac, stain, and refinishing products to refresh the interior and match the new cabinet to the originals.
83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

The trailer did not have a bumper originally, which is why the rear skins were torn loose when we bought it. Built a simple 3" channel bumper to support the weight of the trailer if/when it gets dragged on the gound.
87.jpg

One of the more challenging obstacles we ran into was adding a 12v battery to a trailer that never had one. My wife wanted it hidden, but outside. I wanted it secure and out of the weather. Found an old Milwakee circular saw at the pawn shop, which the storage box fit perfectly.
86.jpg

Had some sheet metal broke to make a tray for the box and welded it to the tongue. Drilled out the latches and moved them to the side of the box, and added a disconnect so we can kill the power during storage.
88.jpg

92.jpg

Because of how small of an area I had to work with, had to replace the propane tank with a smaller one. Since the only thing using propane is the stove, hoping the smaller tank wont be an issue.
93.jpg
91.jpg

At this point, we were ready for paint. The original patina was cool, but it was too washed out. Found some automotive paint that was close to the original colors.
Started with a silver stripe between the 2-tone. Then masked the stripe off and painted the green.
95.jpg

97.jpg

Next day, remasked the 2-tone the other way and sprayed the white.
98.jpg

99.jpg

102.jpg

Pulled it out of the spray booth and reinstalled all the windows and trim.
104.jpg

105.jpg

Was able to find a reproduction counter top that fit fairly well. Also found a commercial vinyl flooring that was an almost exact match of the original.
Finished out the aluminum trim around the sink, counter, and table.
107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

The original logos were painted on and extremely faded. My wife worked with a local wood sign painter and they were able to make a pretty good replica of the original logo.
123.jpg

124.jpg

Was going to replace the wheels with reproductions, but the originals cleaned up pretty well.
125.jpg

So decided it was easier (and cheaper) to just repaint the originals.
127.jpg

128.jpg

Not 100% sure, but I think about 6.5’. I’m 6-2, and can stand up without hitting my head. It is also just barely wider than I am tall. Laying flat on the bed, my feet touch one wall and there is only about an inch head room. Definitely tight.
What's the interior height?

Nice job. Did you repack your wheel bearings?
Yes.
When we bought it, one of the main leaf springs was broke. PO had bought new springs for it, but never installed them. When I pulled the axle to replace the springs and shackles, I pulled the hubs apart, cleaned & greased the bearings, and checked the trailer brakes. What amazed me more than anything was that the original electric brakes still worked. When I brought it to work to paint it, I tested the brakes and they will lock up the tires.

Nice job. That is super clean. Vintage isn't for me, but you did a great job.

Great build and writeup. May have to rethink scrapping the one I have to use as a motorcycle hauler.

Top Back Refresh