What's new

17.5 lug centric wheels

back woods

Member Number
A while back I was able to find 17.5 8x6.5 lug centric wheels on eBay. Looking now all I can find is hub centric. Anyone know where I can find them? Preferably plain jane steel wheels.

Would prefer not having to replace all the lug nuts for hub centric. Current wheels are 16" lug centric with cone nuts.

I realize the sky is the limit with 17.5s, but Have you thought about just getting 14 or 16 ply 16" tires? Pretty easy to get a higher weight rating than most any single wheel trailer axle.

I realize the sky is the limit with 17.5s, but Have you thought about just getting 14 or 16 ply 16" tires? Pretty easy to get a higher weight rating than most any single wheel trailer axle.

Already have the 17.5 tires.

I bet if you looked around you could find a countersink with a pilot tip. From there you just need to press on a drill bushing that maches your wheel stud size.
have you ever used a single/zero flute countersink? they self center real nice in a hand drill

ETA: besides, lug studs are a plus or minus a sixteenth sorta thing anyways

that doesn't center anything

wheels don't really need to be all that centered, tire runout alone can get pretty crazy (like a half inch of radius difference in the rotation) and you never feel it on a steer axle so long as it's pretty smooth and not lumpy
I'd still rather run wheels that aren't gonna shift around on the hubs

ETA: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Dexstar/AM22704.html
those look like they got the thickest plate centers of all of them, hit them with a countersink and use your tapered lug nuts
also some of the aluminum wheels they got listed look like they got tapered holes, or maybe those shouldered lug nuts like toyotas and nissans use

Last edited:
Bumping this as I ordered 17.5 in tires from one company and wheels from another. Tires showed up, was told April 2022 for the wheels. Need them by early March. Called Rickson but seems they don't want to talk, they still in business?

Dually 17.5" 8 on 6.5" and 4.88" hub hole.

They don't seem to exist anymore. :eek:

why? just why?

they're just like 16.5", such a obsolete.

5k lb per tire is why, they are common on cab over box trucks, gaining popularity in the trailer world, and two companies claimed to offer wheels direct fit to e350-e450 chassis vehicles.

But so far the tires are quite useless :laughing:

5k lb per tire is why, they are common on cab over box trucks, gaining popularity in the trailer world, and two companies claimed to offer wheels direct fit to e350-e450 chassis vehicles.

These guys are fond of them also :laughing:

Cozad_Trailers_Firefighter_Ventura_Ca.jpg

I've never seen them on anything other than trailers, usually some new hotshot car hauling wedge or a 30yo bumper pull equipment trailer like you haul behind a tri-axle dump.

I've never seen them on anything other than trailers, usually some new hotshot car hauling wedge or a 30yo bumper pull equipment trailer like you haul behind a tri-axle dump.
17.5's also occasionally appeared on early 60's 3/4 and 1tons. Heavy duty for their day, but nothing like a modern trailer wheel.

6k per tire i why :flipoff2: unless dually then yea 5k

we use them because of sidewall strength, unmaintained dirt roads with sharp rocks kills regular trailer tires sidewalls

i have a trailer in my shop right now getting 4ft in length added to it and replacing yet another broken spring, it has 17.5s on it

Dually 17.5" 8 on 6.5" and 4.88" hub hole.

did just find these, no spec on the hub pilot, but I'm sure they're the smaller trailer one
either lathe, or milling machine, or die grinder would open it up real easy, don't gotta be concentric too good, as your tires are gonna be like an aighth inch outta round anyways
just gotta be a tight fit or your lug nuts will come loose real often

:laughing:

You have no idea what you're talking about here :homer:
I won’t bother with 17.5 and go straight to 19.5 if I’m buying everything new.

Lift the trailer or move fenders if you don’t have the room (excluding OP’s horse trailer). They’re more common, plentiful and cheaper to obtain and proven.

Lift the trailer or move fenders if you don’t have the room (excluding OP’s horse trailer). They’re more common, plentiful and cheaper to obtain and proven.

Thats fine for you. They're far from obsolete though.

Not everyone wants a taller trailer for no reason.

but why not go straight to 22.5s then? :homer::flipoff2:

I looked at this. Axle spacing may bite you. 19.5" with a good weight rating start at 33" size (245/70R19.5)

17.5" keeps that smaller tire size to match the 235/80R16 used on everything else.

Top Back Refresh