What's new

16"-18" Bolt gun

landscraper

Member Number
Been looking for a shorter barrel bolt gun in .308. I want a light-ish hunting rifle, with a threaded barrel and internal mag. I'm looking at a Howa 1500 for $539 and a Bergara B-14 Ridge for $830. LGS isn't much help without a Howa for me to fondle. I've got $650 in Cabelas/Bass Pro gift cards coming from a vendor at work for a scope and rings.

There's right at $300 difference in the rifles. Both are claimed to be sub MOA. Is the fit & finish and action on the Bergara $300 better than the Howa? A Savage 110 and a Rem 700 from the 80's are my points of reference on bolt guns. They're the only two I've shot very much in the past 20 years.

I imagine I'll be perfectly happy with either, but will I be happier with the Howa and $300 in my pocket or the Bergara?

Howa 1500 are a great rifle for the price. I would take one over the equivalent savage, mostly due to accutrigger hate. I have a tikka T3 with a 18" barrel that is a great shooter, but I can't find the equivalent model for the T3x, so it might require finding used.

If you are comfortable/familiar with the Rem 700 the bergara is a clone that just cleans up all the stuff remington has been to lazy to do on their new rifles. Due to that there is a larger aftermarket for these where the howa will be more limited. If you are someone who just buys and shoots it won't be an issue.

Not much experience with either brand. The one howa i was around had some hogue sstock on it, and that thing was flimsy

I would have a hard time not getting a tikka. 16" - 18" barrel is only a zip wheel away.

Wonder what it costs to have one threaded?

Last edited:
I found the Bergara today at Dahlonega for $776, so it's on the way.

Now I've got to decide on glass.

Not much experience with either brand. The one howa i was around had some hogue sstock on it, and that thing was flimsy

I would have a hard time not getting a tikka. 16" - 18" barrel is only a zip wheel away.

Wonder what it costs to have one threaded?
FWIW, Tikka barrels are a bitch to remove. My smith had to do a relief cut to get it out when I had it re-barreled.

I have read that they either come right off, or they are a motherfucker. When I cut my tikka down, I didn't bother to even take it out of the stock. It will probly get a pre-fit barrel at some point

I have read that they either come right off, or they are a motherfucker. When I cut my tikka down, I didn't bother to even take it out of the stock. It will probly get a pre-fit barrel at some point

That's what I did. Preferred pre-fit, and in a Bravo chassis.

I have a Sendero in a Bravo , Pretty hard to beat that stock for the money.

Kinda wanting to put together a heavy 6 creedmoor with this extra tikka that I have

Top Back Refresh