What's new

15’s vs 17’s

Never Monday

Resistor
Member Number
I’m looking at ordering some beadlocks for my Heep. Seems like the world is pushing to 17’s. Other than tire availability is there a reason since it drives up costs and the tires are heavier.

It depends what size/type of tires you want to run and what axles you have.

If 15" wheels will clear your brakes, odds are you aren't running tires big enough to need 17" wheels since you have Jeep/half ton axles. If you are looking at 35" tires or smaller go 15" wheels since pretty much all manufacturers make tires for 15" wheels in those sizes, and the loss of sidewall with a 17" wheel is detrimental.

37" tires are kind of the transition point in my mind. There are only a few manufacturers that make 37" tires for a 15" wheel, and at that point you are getting to the limit of what half ton axles can handle any way. Stepping up to one tons will require bigger wheels, so at that point 17" wheels are a no brainer, and with a 37"+ tire, you still have a good amount of side wall. Bigger than 37" with 15"wheels, you are pretty much limited to buying tires from Interco and Pitbull (Maxxis makes a 38/13.00-15 Creepy Crawler).

Obviously 17" is the most popular size for offload tires currently, so it is a safe bet. Tires for 16" wheels have been pretty much phased out for the most part aside from stock or slightly bigger than stock sizes, and I think tires for 15" wheels seem to be heading that same direction slowly. 20" and more recently 18" wheels have been gaining popularity as well.

Tire pricing is weird, must be an economies of scale thing.

35/12.50-15 tires are cheap, sometimes just a few bucks more than 33s but a 35/12.50-17 is usually way more expensive. Maybe the machines that make the tires are specific and the 17" ones are busy?

I think the tire size and brake size comments above are spot on, If you are staying with brakes that can fit in 15" rims and on 35s than staying 15" is a no brainer for tire cost alone.

Wanted to put a set of studded 16 inch coopers on my wifes new Chevrolet Tahoe but her thing takes 17's and currently has 18's on it, and its 6 lug all of my Silverados are older or newer 8 bolt pattern.

Last edited:
I agree with what these guys are saying.

<35s stay 15s, >37s go to 17s unless you're OK with being stuck with 37 pit bulls, iroks, or 37-38 maxxis creepies (which I currently own:laughing:)

There are some companies releasing sxs 37s for 15s. So that's another option for lighter rigs.

Top Back Refresh