What's new

12.50 vs 13.50 Tires

boy&hisdogs

GMT400 Nerd
Member Number
Loc
California
Does it really make that much of a difference? Would I see better on-road braking going to a 13.50? Worse off road in mud and other slick stuff? Would any of it be enough to care about? This is for a full size 1500 truck, about 6k pounds loaded.

Assuming the same diameter (37 in my case), same tread pattern, fender clearance, etc.

If ya want to be a bitch in badass go for the 13.50s actual width varies huge from brand to brand even between a 12.5 and a 13.5 check Toyos for example.

Turned to lock you might see more clearance issues with the wider tires.

You probably have enough weight that it's not a issue with the 13.5. But with less weight, like my XJ I noticed a difference between 10.5 and 12.5. It broke traction easier, ice and snow on roads was worse. I noticed a difference going between 14.5 and 13.5 toyo's on my tow rig, it's 9k. The 13.5 seem to work better.

I have 36x13.5r15 IROK bias on my XJ. Previous set was 35x12.5r15 Cooper m/t. Not really a fair comparison, but IROK is considerably oversized and far superior off road, virtually unstoppable now.

For something still sees street driving, narrower tires will be a better choice.

Skinny tires if you are on road a bunch. Skinny tires if there is a bottom to the mud. Skinny tires don't look cool.

Fat tires if you are off road a bunch. Fat tires if there is no bottom to the mud. Fat tires look cool.

Thornbirds FTW!:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh