What's new

10 Common Myths About the United States Government

Anytime someone uses numbers in their title, they are talking to children and/or are full of shit.

"5 things you need to know about xxxx"

"Here are 6 reasons why you should xxxx"

"The top 12 xxxxxx"

"10 common myths about xxxxx"

and on and on

The only way it could get worse than those idiot articles is to have it in video form. Oh wait...

Anytime someone uses numbers in their title, they are talking to children and/or are full of shit.

"5 things you need to know about xxxx"

"Here are 6 reasons why you should xxxx"

"The top 12 xxxxxx"

"10 common myths about xxxxx"

and on and on

The only way it could get worse than those idiot articles is to have it in video form. Oh wait...

About what I expected. A post that addresses zero about the content. :rolleyes:

The video would be a good teaching tool. Fast paced and easy to follow. The fact the speaker is a Brit gets your attention...of course everyone here knows it all so the video is dumb...LOL...

Myths? Those are just the basics that were taught in my High School Civics class, nothing new there.

All I know is the video was terribly written and disorganized. His myth number 10, "The Government". I can't tell what the myth is because he kept referring to the government throughout the video. The government is all encompassing.

Sounds like I was right after all.
"basics" + "taught in school" = "Anytime someone uses numbers in their title, they are talking to children and/or are full of shit."

But I'll check it out later anyway, SDCJ.

I'm sure SDCJ is anxiously awaiting your review of the video he linked :laughing:​​​​​​​

kudos to whomever made it past #9. #10 - he doesn't even know what a Republic is. "The Government" WTF

#9 - It's true, but.... So, WTF is the "myth" if it's true.

this is juvenile, at best

It was a nice recitation of what everyone should have learned in high school civics about three branches of government, checks and balances, and being a federal republic. Many young people can’t tell you why the 4th of July is a holiday.

I quit at "myth" #2, where he said the "myth" is that we have the best military, and then says "yeah, well it's true, but...".
I knew it was a bullshit thing. Always remember the rule. If they put numbers in the title, it's bullshit or their target audience is children.

So many people are so stupid when they try to claim something is a myth and then "bust" it. Even Mythbusters were often morons on that angle.

in the comments someone says that he calls Hawaii a "territory"

I caught that. I think he was implying they are territories because they are not as well known as Hawaii. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

I quit at "myth" #2, where he said the "myth" is that we have the best military, and then says "yeah, well it's true, but...".
I knew it was a bullshit thing. Always remember the rule. If they put numbers in the title, it's bullshit or their target audience is children.

So many people are so stupid when they try to claim something is a myth and then "bust" it. Even Mythbusters were often morons on that angle.

Toptenz literally is just a clickbait channel. All or their videos are "top ten" shit, as their channel name implies.

Simon and his crew have other channels that aren't as bad, but ehh... they still mostly just do clickbait shit.

Myths? Those are just the basics that were taught in my High School Civics class, nothing new there.

Maybe, but from what a number of people on PBB and now here on IBB post up I'm led to believe they think those myths are actual fact. That's why I posted it.

Glad to see this thread made it into the fail thread. :flipoff2:

Maybe, but from what a number of people on PBB and now here on IBB post up I'm led to believe they think those myths are actual fact. That's why I posted it.

Why not just post a bullet point (or numbered) list so I can skim it in about 5 seconds versus watching a video? Then link the video for the people who can't read.

If the aim is to educate, you must work with your students rather than against them.

Getting education from a sometimes opinionated YouTube video is no different than getting educated from Facebook posts. If you want people to learn about the government why don't you instead post links to journal articles or text books? You know, things that are peer reviewed and factual.

If you read the source articles listed under the video and consider we’re being lectured by a penis-with-glasses British expat who does videos for a living, it’s obvious this is a political message. Someone wasted some time and money to get this out. I wonder who?

Interesting take on our government. I'm sure some here will vehemently disagree with some or all of it, but I find it to be pretty much on the mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WwKsamAXrA

I skipped around and found it about 4:00

He explains that the POTUS is not that powerful, and EOs can be blocked. If he had gone more into it, it could be shone that EOs are actually really hard to write and enact, which means Don Trump has fantastic legal counsel, which he does.

Then he goes on to show that the Prez is not that powerful. The President's power is Bully Pulpit.

I will use this video to explain stuff to foreign people who don't understand the US, becasue the Brit accent is easier for them to digest. The mindless morons.

If you read the source articles listed under the video and consider we’re being lectured by a penis-with-glasses British expat who does videos for a living, it’s obvious this is a political message. Someone wasted some time and money to get this out. I wonder who?

Social Media.

The #7 is about Free Speech. And he goes on and on that 'private companies' don't have to follow Free Speech.

Social Media went on this huge for the last few years, and they've tried to frame that argument.

I keep telling people, to no avail, that the argument is: Does the entity in question take money from the government or in a substantial way use government-funded resources to make money? If they do, then they are technically required to follow Free Speech.

Social Media companies have skipped all of that, and made the argument Platform vs Content Provider, which is a false dilemma.

The question is, does a company take Fed money and/or rely on the Government to operate? Everyone uses the roads, so you can't make that argument against trucking companies.

But only a small percentage of entities use federally-funded internet backbone to make money, and a few, an enormous amount of money: Big Tech.

Top Back Refresh