What's new

1.6L bell housing to 1.3L?

Wuz-A-zuk

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
PA
As the title states, does a 1.6L bell housing bolt behind a 1.3L? Been awhile since I messed with any of the 1.3/1.6 stuff.

Trying to get a beater rig up and running for spring as my buggy is taking 7 years from never to finish. Rig is having transmission whoas and I don't put money into stock zuk transmissions but the motor is low mileage and healthy. Trying to bolt a 1.6L housing with the ringR and use a Toyota transmission and 4.7 tcase I have laying on the garage floor. Open to recommendations, key is cheaper the better.

Rig is nothing crazy, basic yj leaf/ yota axle zuk. Currently has the 1.3L/stock trans/ 6.5 tcase. Tracker/kick parts and rigs are non existent in the Northeast or people want more than LS prices for rigs/parts.

Kinda does, but not 100%

The too holes line up, the bottom holes are ~1" further out on the 1.6. It's easy to make it work with a little block or a J bolt type deal.

IMO, that set up will suck with a 1.3 though. :laughing: high range will be unusable and 4.7 is no where near low enough. Plus you have to hack the shit out of the floor, and rear driveline angle is terrible because the Toyota output is way high.

Sell me the RingR and find a good used trans. :flipoff2:

So it does work though.

I considered the rear driveline angle and the lack of useful gearing. I have a good amount of parts I could throw at it just trying not to turn into another project but it seems I'm slowly headed down that path. Not a street driven rig and I don't mind hacking it up at all either. Have 3-4 months to cobble something together and it needs to last me a summer or 2. (Hopefully that's all haha).

I have 34's, 36's, 38's (all swampers), yota axles (4.10's or 5.29's), dana 60's (7.17's), zuk trans, yota trans (w-56), toyota case (2.28 or 4.7) Ideas?

I thought about just tossing in another stock trans but I figured with all the parts I have might as well get carried away :homer:

It does work but that's a stupid idea for the reasons that YotaAtieToo already exposed.
Just put another sami trans in it.

Find a Sami trans, even shipping is that bad since they're like 60 lbs :laughing:​​​​​​

6.xx tcase, Toyota axles w/ 5.29s and 36s is what I'd do. I'd say the 34s, but since they're swampers, the 36s are probably a true 34 :laughing:

Much more than that and you'll be into the same boat as your buggy. "well I gotta stretch it, so may as well link it..."

Well zuk transmission it is. And to add the setup that yotaAtietoo picked is the one it's already running. Not sure how you guys are doing that @deal either..

Either way thanks for the input

Top Back Refresh