What's new

1.6 8v Head Machining questions

crispins

FJB
Member Number
Loc
Pigeon Forge, TN
I pulled the head today and brought it to the machine shop.

I brought them the valve seals, cam seals. Told them to disassemble it, check all the valves, change the seals, set the valve lash for me, mill the head and clean the head.

Is that too much?

This is just a woods beater.

Should I just have the head milled and toss it back together?

I am so used to always doing things the right way i think I might be over thinking this thing?

Some will stake the countersunk screws in the tops of the cam bosses they get loose and come out, they block the oil gallery. grey permatex on the disty housing o ring or it will leak. ditch the egr valve make block off plate.

Some will stake the countersunk screws in the tops of the cam bosses they get loose and come out, they block the oil gallery. grey permatex on the disty housing o ring or it will leak. ditch the egr valve make block off plate.

How do you stake the screws? They looked like a crappy design.

I'll take care of the O ring on the dist housing and make an EGR plate, thanks for the help

light tap with a center punch in the aluminum surrounding the screw head, it doesn't take much. just enough to push a little material up against the screw to help hold it. Just 1 stake per screw.

Yes to much, But it's your money. Ate you sure it was even warped? Those motors seem impossible to kill.

Yes to much, But it's your money. Ate you sure it was even warped? Those motors seem impossible to kill.

Yea I should have just had the head milled.

I am pretty sure it is warped.

When I bought it the guy said he just replaced the head gasket and had the head milled.

I drove it about 150 miles and now the coolant comes out the tailpipe pretty fast.

I'm going to use my edumcated guess and say the dude tossed a gasket in there and sent it.

I will say that it was by far the easiest head i have ever removed, I don't think it took me 2 hours.

Yea I should have just had the head milled.

I am pretty sure it is warped.

When I bought it the guy said he just replaced the head gasket and had the head milled.

I drove it about 150 miles and now the coolant comes out the tailpipe pretty fast.

I'm going to use my edumcated guess and say the dude tossed a gasket in there and sent it.

I will say that it was by far the easiest head i have ever removed, I don't think it took me 2 hours.

Yep they are crazy simple and everything is easy to get to with plenty of room

Well FUG!

Damn head has a crack in an intake runner and cannot be fixed.

Finding an 8v head is not going to be easy.

Ebay has just one listed and it is $500

2big bronco do you have one you could part with?

Anyone have an idea where I can find one?

That thing got real hot a least once, if the main journals are fucked you will be throwing good money at junk.

That thing got real hot a least once, if the main journals are fucked you will be throwing good money at junk.

Well it drives good enough, I did a good 100 or so miles with it, felt just like the last Tracker I had.

I am thinking it did get pretty hot in the past, cracked the head, blew the gasket.

The OP I got it from threw in a new gasket and a bottle of head gasket repair and sold it to me.

That would be why it ran good when I first got it and then quickly started tossing coolant out the exhaust.

IDK - just guessing here.

I feel like if I can toss a good head on there it will be good enough to get me out on some trails.

Well FUG!

Damn head has a crack in an intake runner and cannot be fixed.

Finding an 8v head is not going to be easy.

Ebay has just one listed and it is $500

2big bronco do you have one you could part with?

Anyone have an idea where I can find one?

I have a couple... that I dont particularly want to part with but let me ask my cousin. We have a parts sidekick that should have a good head.

I recently had my 16v head redone. It had a cracked exhaust valve. They did a valve job on all the valves, replaced the bad valve, had it milled, and put new seals in it. 335 was the total bill.

well the replacement engine does not seem to be coming through, fuckstick says everyday will be the day that he pulls it out but something always comes up.

I offered to buy the whole truck but he isnt interested.

I bought a used head from a guy in FL and he sent it today, so i will run that one through the machine chop then toss it on.

I tossed a complete good running 8v motor in the scrap dumpster at the shop a few months ago. Back then I couldn't give the fucking thing away.

$500 for an 8v head!? That’s absurd. Around here $5-600 buys a running driving Track/Kick, granted it’s a rusted out turd, but running driving nonetheless.

I tossed a complete good running 8v motor in the scrap dumpster at the shop a few months ago. Back then I couldn't give the fucking thing away.

of course - lol

$500 for an 8v head!? That’s absurd. Around here $5-600 buys a running driving Track/Kick, granted it’s a rusted out turd, but running driving nonetheless.

Prices are high as fuck here, the most beat up ones still go for $1,200+

I hear about lots of $500 ones being sold in other areas of the Country.

There is a guy just South of me that bought one that looks to be in the same shape as mine, he just paid $4,500 for it

Anyway my replacement head will be here on Monday, Ill drop it off at the machine shop and have it gone through before tossing it on.

Top Back Refresh