What's new

1.3 oil

WoodburyZuk

Member Number
What kinda oil are you guys running and why? I have gone down the rabbit hole on bob is the oil guy and read too much.

I just converted to propane so I can probably get away with less frequent oil changes. Stock 1.3.

15w-40 rotella T? Amsoil? Walmart super tech? Mobile 1?

regular oil plus Lucas?

I have friends that run straight Lucas in everything, they say it stays put when you are crawling at angles.

What are you guys thinking?

I run the cheapest I can find conventional 5w-30 or 10w-30 in all my zuks, along with the supertech oil filters (I do run one that is longer than the original, 3600 I think is the number)...1.3 and 1.6. I don't run any extra additives. Never had any issues.
I change the oil at around 3000 miles in my road driven zuks and whenever it starts looking dirty in my off road ones (maybe 2, 3, 4 years sometimes).

I always did t 4 rotella due to getting it free from work. I never ran any additives, but always put a half can of seafoam in for the last 400 miles or so before the oil change. I'm not sure if it really helps or not, but I swear it unstuck a lifter in an old amc 360 I had and since then I use it on my older engines.

You guys ever watch the project farm videos on YouTube? I’ve been watching him for a while and he says (and other people who build sicko race cars) say amsoil is the best.

You guys ever watch the project farm videos on YouTube? I’ve been watching him for a while and he says (and other people who build sicko race cars) say amsoil is the best.
He's got some good videos.
Amsoil may be best for race cars...zuks/zuk engines are far from race cars/race car engines.
I figure regular OCIs, usually based on mileage in my situation, is more important than what type/brand of oil I run.

From my experience regular oil/filter changes are much more important than which oil/filter you use.

That being said, I run Rotella T6 in everything with WIX XP filters. Some I change when the oil starts to turn dark, some I change at 5K, some when the oil monitor says to. Depends on the vehicle.

I guess a good rule of thumb for a buggy that gets actually wheeled 10x a year would just be to change the oil yearly regardless.

I run Amsoil in everything except the 1.6l Zuk motor. It has a bad oil leak, so I buy a lot of 5w-30 in whatever brand and keep it topped it off. :flipoff2:

It's a very complicated mixture of just about every brand and viscosity.

In other words, whatever is on hand because it leaks pretty good. :laughing: I've always wondered if thicker oil was better on old, leaky, worn out engines, but I don't really know.

:42 and 8:28 have some nice graphs of all the oils he tested.

Maybe I’m just a psychopath who obsesses way too much over oil. Although, our trail rigs get abused. I have spun my motor well beyond what it probably should be spun. And if oil changes are cheap damage control, I’ll do it. Even if an amsoil oil change costs me $65 and a Wallyworld one is $25… per year. That’s like $3.33 a month more expensive to run the top tier oil.

Thats my thought process anyway.

I used to be a dealer (whatever they wanna call it) but it seemed like a setup and I wasn’t pushing enough product to make it worth it. I have a few friends who do it and they will pass the savings along to me.

Top Back Refresh