What's new

1/2 ton GMT-800 SAS threads

Copperhead

Member Number
I'm looking for build threads on 1/2 ton 99-2006 GMs. I'm planning out my Tahoe build. Most of the builds I see are swapping In 1 Ton axles. I don't need to go that extreme I think. I'd like to swap in a front straight axle and keep the 6 lug. I know you can swap the hubs on a 2000-01 dodge 1500 to the GM 6 lug.

Pretty sure second gen half ton dodge will have vacuum actuated cad (centre axle disconnect). I would maybe look into a 73-76 gm Dana 44

What's wrong with that?
The cad stuff itself is junk. You can delete the 2 piece shaft and go with a 1 piece. The dodge axle is a unit bearing hub and I dont know if the gm 6 lug unit bearings will swap over. You'll also have a hard time using leaf springs with those dodge axles so it'll be coils or coil overs and links up front.

None of it matters if you are just building a HG mall crawler though, I'm sure the gmfullsize forum has enough info for street queen builds but, youre not likely to find that info here.

Not building a mall crawler....At all. Just trying to get out in the woods with the kids but keep the cost down.

Not building a mall crawler....At all. Just trying to get out in the woods with the kids but keep the cost down.

I get that, and a ford d44 is the right axle, but... they're getting hard to find, and if you did find one, now your 10 bolt rear is the weak link... if you had a gmt400 I'd think a 14b sf 6lug and a 1500 dodge with 6 lug hubs would be a decent match for abusing some 34s or going easy on some 36s, but with the old school half ton 4wd stuff drying up, super duty 1 tons is a pretty solid choice

There's a guy on instagram and youtube that's swapping stock Dodge 44s into GMT800 Tahoes and makes it look really straight forward . HERE is a link to his build thread that has some decent tech in it (some of his fab work and engineering I don't agree with, but its enough to get your wheels turning). He's basically welding link mounts and coil buckets to the Tahoe and bolting in the Dodge 44 in stock form.

Cody Bennett (mccustomize at the old place, IIRC) was the first I saw to do this swap on a GMT800 Silverado on 35s and eventually 37s. 2003 Silverado Z71 solid axle build

There's a lot to be learned in here.

not trying to knock your idea, I just don't get doing all the work to SAS something large like that, and not just drop tons in it. junkyard 14 bolts and SD 60s are everywhere. cheap to pull yourself, and will handle everything better IMO. if your not planning on going hard on it, and just get out in the woods, why not throw some fresh parts on your IFS and rock out as is? just my .02 :beer:

No reason to 14bff if youre gona sd d60 the front. 10.5s are a lot more previlant, lug patterns match and theu stout axles.

If youre gona ford the front, ford the rear.
don't disagree with you on that. that's what I did, keep the ford stuff together. my sterling has been great thus far. I just know people love their 14B :grinpimp:
and some people are scared of the metric bolt pattern. :lmao:

know you can swap the hubs on a 2000-01 dodge 1500 to the GM 6 lug.
I am very curious about the swap, do you know what the issue would be using an older, possibly 1998? Is it axle shaft spine or spindle issue? I do have one of these axles at home not 100% sure what year it’s out of. Any info if possible thank you for your time.

I am very curious about the swap, do you know what the issue would be using an older, possibly 1998? Is it axle shaft spine or spindle issue? I do have one of these axles at home not 100% sure what year it’s out of. Any info if possible thank you for your time.
Leave I have a 97 or 98, I could be wrong and it could be a 2000 but not sure

My last post I have done some more looking and I think I am good to go with my Dana 44 running GMT 800 unit bearings, I would still love any more information you or anybody might have on this, I’ve been wanting to SAS my 04 Silverado since I bought it, definitely not a rock crawler nor mall crawler just my daily and something to mess with

The ram 44 will work and i think you need the GMT800 wheel bearing and a GMT400 rotor to work with the stock ram caliper but please double check that. I can't find the build that did this swap before, its a blue extended cab GMT800.

Other option that is cheap is a 99-04 superduty front and just run the stock leaves from it also. You can pick up the D50's cheaper than 60's usually. They can also be redrilled to 6x5.5 unlike the later axles.
Not saying to use this kit but there are kits available for the ford axle and leaf spring setup, you could probably get it lower than their front crossmember.

Drill Guide SD60 to 8 on 6.5 for redrilling Super Duty Hubs

There's a guy on instagram and youtube that's swapping stock Dodge 44s into GMT800 Tahoes and makes it look really straight forward . HERE is a link to his build thread that has some decent tech in it (some of his fab work and engineering I don't agree with, but its enough to get your wheels turning). He's basically welding link mounts and coil buckets to the Tahoe and bolting in the Dodge 44 in stock form.

Cody Bennett (mccustomize at the old place, IIRC) was the first I saw to do this swap on a GMT800 Silverado on 35s and eventually 37s. 2003 Silverado Z71 solid axle build

Top Back Refresh