What's new

1/2 Fast Jerky - Ground Meat Edition

toocheaptosmoke

Dollar Save Club
Member Number
Loc
PA
First off, I will readily admit that real sliced jerky is far superior to the ground mystery meat in a caulking gun method, but sometimes you just gotta make do with what ya got. There's already a thread for real jerky, but couldn't find anything for this style. You can use beef, venison, elk, heck whatever is on sale or of surplus in the freezer. Most recipes are way too complicated, I'm not washing more than two measuring utensils, so this recipe just uses two of everything. Go heavier or lighter depending on flavor.

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs. lean(ish) ground meat
  • 2 heavy Tbs soy sauce
  • 2 heavy Tbs worcerstershire sauce
  • 2 heavy Tbs brown suga (you make me feel so good)
  • 2 tsp garlic powder or garlic salt
  • 2 tsp onion powder or onion salt
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp black peppa
  • 2 tsp red peppa flakes (use 1 tsp if you want it a bit less spicy)

First step is getting the spices together. Toss it all in a bowl. If you're going to do this in something other than a smoker, throw in a few dashes of liquid smoke. (and don't forget to line the bottom of the oven with tin foil...)

20211229_121344x.jpg

A key feature for this recipe is impatience. You should really let everything sit and marinate for 1-2 days, but ain't nobody got time foe dat!! Take the spice bowl, and nuke it for a couple minutes while stirring. This will accelerate the flavor juxtaposition, and get all the heatness of the pepper flakes infused.

20211229_121701x.jpg

Next step is to thoroughly mix the meat and spices, then let rest for 24 hours. OR, at least let it rest for the time it takes to drink a beer, realize the propane tank is empty, and get the smoker started...

20211229_122325x.jpg

After shooting your meat into nicely arranged hedge rows, time to smoke it. (Bonus points if you hand press the strips in wax paper) I prefer a straight hickory smoke, but use whatever you got. I recently upgraded to some of these mats instead of old cookie sheets, and it certainly seems to help in the dehydration. About 3 hours at 180 degrees and it's time to sample the goods.

20211229_134237x.jpg

Serving Suggestion: Best paired with a nice economy class lager. The smoke provides a good portion of the flavor for this recipe, sometimes I prefer a jerky that's not over poweringly spicy, something you can eat a bunch of without belching up spices the rest of the day. Refrigerate after cooking, and consume with pickled eggs.

20211229_173656x.jpg

I have done it this way several times. My teeth and gums prefer this method :homer:

Pro tip: you mentioned wax paper. Roll out all the meat into a shallow pan with wax paper. Once nice and flat to the thickness you want, place in the freezer for 45 minutes or so, until very firm. Remove and take a pizza cutter to cut your strips. They will hold together nicely.

Top Back Refresh