What's new

07 Kodiak c5500 duramax lly egr/ oil issue.

Jag

Member Number
Loc
Commieland
Would a bad egr cause exhaust gas onto the crankcase and over time cause the oil to drain like tar? I pulled the plug 4 hours ago and its still dripping out. Ive never seen anything like it before. Supposedly the oil was changed a few months ago.

My first guess would be the shops that have done the maintenance on this thing never actually changed the oil when they said they did but its had egr codes and the drivers have been using a code reader to clear the cel so im wondering if the process of it attempting to set the ready moniters every time they cleared the light has caused this?

Edit: dumped in 2.5 gallons of oil and a new filter and idling here at the shop its acting like a new machine with no check cel and actually showing 40 psi on the guage which its apparently never done.
8A131C8A-F867-4B0F-9F9D-AEE9CFBCB9DD.jpeg
Hopefully no problems and its off to make me some pesos tonight.

Holy shit... glad you got it taken care of. I'm gonna go ahead and agree with your assumption that the shop never, and i mean never, changed the oil in it. Sounds like my dealership not changing(or even checking) the air filter for over 80k, then charging me $800 to fix all the things that not changing the air filter does to a diesel truck... fucking stupid people in this world

Holy shit... glad you got it taken care of. I'm gonna go ahead and agree with your assumption that the shop never, and i mean never, changed the oil in it. Sounds like my dealership not changing(or even checking) the air filter for over 80k, then charging me $800 to fix all the things that not changing the air filter does to a diesel truck... fucking stupid people in this world

Driver said everything went good last night. Ill probably have to change it again in the next week to try and flush the gunk out.

Im leaning toward the idea it wasn't ever changed, Maybe just topped off.

I hate to be that guy that blames previous mechanics and im definitely not an MDT mechanic but this shit looked like tar. Since its my first time fiddling with a duramax i was hoping the egr or something else was a common cause.

Next up an International with 6.0, A Freightliner M2 with some kind of straight 6 and some weird Japanese market MDT, everything on it is written in Japanese stick writing. Unfortunately the same people have been working on them all for years so no telling what ill find.

My friend did the EGR delete on his LLY and when we took it apart to do head studs, it had a similar condition. The oil was like tar in all the passages. I spent the better part of a weekend washing all that shit out of the valve covers and heads. We never pulled the oil pan on the truck, but it was nasty. This is a truck that he is religious on maintenance with.

Perhaps the EGR system is gunked up and not functioning?

Run some ATF in the crank case for the last 3-4 hours. Change the oil.

You can also use sea foam.
This is definately the plan for the next oil change in the next week.

Whats is odd though is its had a cel for egr, glow plugs and various stuff constantly for long before ive been around it. After the oil change it got at least a 4 hour run time last night and ive been idling it for the last 2 hours at the shop, No cel. Front ac is still random but im happy with it overall so far.

I might even take a picture of using a .125 welding rod writing irate4x4 in the drain pan old oil to show how ridiculous the stuff is.

Does it have a tune in it? Does it blow black smoke? What are the codes?

Does it have a tune in it? Does it blow black smoke? What are the codes?
No tunes, shows a p0401 pretty regularly and the driver says it goes into “limp” mode so thats why he resets it.

I did a regen yesterday and idled it for a couple hours and it seems fine. It was out all last night and I didnt get any calls so im assuming it was good. Supposed to be going out again this morning so well see how it does in the sunshine today.

No tunes, shows a p0401 pretty regularly and the driver says it goes into “limp” mode so thats why he resets it.

I did a regen yesterday and idled it for a couple hours and it seems fine. It was out all last night and I didnt get any calls so im assuming it was good. Supposed to be going out again this morning so well see how it does in the sunshine today.

Didnt go so well today. Had to have it towed.

Crank no start issue that definately seems like fuel. It will long crank and run for about 3 seconds. The primer wont pump up hard so im hoping its a simple fuel filter housing swap.

Top Back Refresh