What's new

'06 dodge ram 1500 SLT fuel issues

Ravenbar

Member Number
Loc
NY
"06y Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4.7l gasmanualy

Got woke up yesterday to be told my father was stranded. Truck wouldn't start, at my sisters while he was picking up my nephew.

Got there with some tools and first found burnt up/b\corroded wires on the starter. A quick trip to a parts store and I changed that on the side of the road, then found out it still wouldn't start. Had no pressure at the fuel rail. I couldn't get the electrical connector off the pump to check for power. Ended up getting it towed back to the house. Once it got home, I started to test for power to the pump, only to hear the pump kick on and the truck started. Repeated rials at starting it lead to a recurrence of the issue this morning. Spent some time digging through the elec. schematics and tested the TIPM for power coming out to the pump and found it had power yet still wouldn't start, so spent the rest of the day droppig the tank in the driveway. Got rained out as I manually pumped the fuel out of the tank, after getting it removed. Completely full tank, as my fathers stop previosu to picking u my nephew was to get gas, less than a mile before.

We recently had the TIPM relay for one of the low beam hadlights go out, and ran a wire from the working one to power the dead one. Even though the pump was getting power without working, I'm still not convinced the pump is actually to blame.

Along with look at fuel pump dodge had problems with tipm corrosion pull it and unplug from bottom checking that out. Since you already had some failure in the tipm. There are services that rebuild tipm modules.

Along with look at fuel pump dodge had problems with tipm corrosion pull it and unplug from bottom checking that out. Since you already had some failure in the tipm. There are services that rebuild tipm modules.
I've had all the connections apart for testing and nothing looked corroded, although I did note a complete lack of any dielectric grease.

Replaced the fuel pump over the last couple days. Biggest fight was getting the fuel lines hooked up. The fuel line retainers didn't survive removal. Of the 3 different sizes needed, only 1 could be found locally(fuel supply line off pump). My father modified one of those to make it fit on the filler neck. vent. I stole the one off the charcoal canister end of the tube between the charoal canister and tank, to go on the tank end of that hose. That connection is very stuck in place, and will be easy to access when we find the right clip.

The corrosion happens on the internal circuit board. You can google tipm rebuild and will bring up.

You able to do a fuel rail pressure test on the truck?
I can't remember are the slide a two half circles over the fuel lines to disconnect or the push tabs?

The corrosion happens on the internal circuit board. You can google tipm rebuild and will bring up.

You able to do a fuel rail pressure test on the truck?
I can't remember are the slide a two half circles over the fuel lines to disconnect or the push tabs?
I've pushed the fuel rail shrader valve and got no pressure when it won't start and it spurts pretty good when it will run. THat's the best fuel test I have for fuel injected pressures.

The clips on the fuel line are a U shape, like these. Dorman 800-023 Dorman Fuel Line Retaining Clips | Summit Racing

The problem being that the ones we can find locally are the wrong sizes for 2 out of 3 of the lines. I need to order an assortment pack online.

Once my 04 5.7 truck didn't start, I was pissed. A quick search turned up that sometimes battery voltage is high enough to crank well, but not enough voltage to fire:homer:

Top Back Refresh